Medical Mile/Michigan Street Developments

joeDowntown

Actually, after doing some research, today, Rafael Vinoly's firm still seems to be the one's doing the expansion.

Vinoly had included in his first contract that he had first right of refusal for the phase 2 work. He is doing the main building architecture but various other pieces have been given to a local architect. Bill Culhane is the owners representative.

Free Press Story

"Plans for a new building to house the medical school are in the design phase. No site has been selected."

I guess this means they are still trying to figure out what they need for the school building rather then working on the physical design of the building? Still think the SE corner of Division and Crescent is the best spot.

The medical school staff will perform research within VAI 's 248,000 square-foot Phase II expansion. The agreement calls for the university to lease office, research and instructional lab space upon completion of Phase II slated to open in 2009.

So the new school won

"That's the $70 million question," said Rappley, referring to the building's estimated cost. "Building a $70 million building is a very long and arduous process and we're coming to the end of that, we hope."

Heacock said it also would be beneficial for the school to be close to the institute.

"We think it's necessary that's it's very close to Van Andel Institute. ...you wouldn't want to have these researchers get in their car and drive a ways to go teach," he said.

http://www.mlive.com/news/grpress/index.ss...&thispage=2

I've wondered about the Diocese spot too joe-d.

I always thought the Ellis lot on Ionia was an underutilized spot, and the parking deck they have planed there definitely falls into that category. By the way, that is not the Catholic Diocese at the corner of Ionia and Crescent, it the Catholic Information Center run by the Paulist Fathers.

Edited by mpchicago

I always thought the Ellis lot on Ionia was an underutilized spot, and the parking deck they have planed there definitely falls into that category. By the way, that is not the Catholic Diocese at the corner of Ionia and Crescent, it the Catholic Information Center run by the Paulist Fathers.

Ah, good call mp.

MSU med school now looking for a home

Michigan State University is considering four sites for its new medical school in Grand Rapids:

# The former Mercantile Bank building on North Division Avenue. - bingo

# A tower yet to be built on the Michigan Street Hill. - I think has already been eliminated as a possibility

# The Mid Towne Village medical office development near Michigan and College Avenue NE. - Does not fit the "you wouldn't want these researchers getting in their cars to drive...."

# The Eerdman's Publishing site on Jefferson Avenue SE near Saint Mary's Health Care. - Same situation here

We rock.

Attention high schoolers and college undergrads: VAI to hire 580 scientists, doctors, technicians and support staff!

That's when Phase II becomes fully operational in late 2009. Start studying now.

That is a HUGE number of employees. How does the VAI support itself and its efforts? My guess is that the annual budget will be well over $100mil when this expansion is complete, and unless it is endowed to the tune of $1bil, there has to be significant outside annual funding sources.