Medical Mile/Michigan Street Developments

joeDowntown

That wouldn't be the end of the world would it? I hate that parking lot, which is probably the issue with that site. We'd need another 2,000 car garage.

No, that wouldn't be bad at all. It would create a nice "healthcare corridor" down Michigan all the way to Division. All the parcels between GVSU and McDonald's are owned by Spectrum, so I don't know if they would want to part with that land? Maybe 1/2 of it? But you're right, where to park? :lol:

More details now (but no specifics):

"Hospital Hill" logical step for MSU med school

I wish they would pick one nickname and stick with it.

Medical Mile: I'll have a heart attack just trying to find the hospital, don't bother I stop after a few yards.

Health Care/Hospital/Pill Hill: I'll have a heart attack just tring to climb it to find the hospital.

Things that come to mind when I think of thoes names.

Anyone else think it is possible they will buy the McD's just like they did the Burger King for the new cancer center? That would open up a pretty a large space along Michigan Street.

Joe

I dunno...my guess is that the owner of that McD's knows he is sitting on a royal flush. Didn't the rediculous price paid for the Burger King really kick off the runaway land prices in the area? I wouldn't be suprised if the McD's land would be asking at least $5mil, if not much, much more...

Jump around the McD's and go after land a little further down Mich. Ave. It's a built in job-retention move - with McD's still operating, there will always be the need for the Heart Center!

Fifty second-year medical students are expected to enroll in Grand Rapids by fall 2008. They would join 50 to 70 upper-level medical students already assigned to programs in the area.

The university expects 100 first-year students to enroll in Grand Rapids by the time a new building opens in 2010.

50 + 50 + 100 = somewhere around at least 200 students fully enrolled. How many years do you have to enroll in med school? If they take 50 - 100 enrollees each year x how many years??

The current med school in East Lansing has about 480 students enrolled this year.

Fifty second-year medical students are expected to enroll in Grand Rapids by fall 2008. They would join 50 to 70 upper-level medical students already assigned to programs in the area.

The university expects 100 first-year students to enroll in Grand Rapids by the time a new building opens in 2010.

50 + 50 + 100 = somewhere around at least 200 students fully enrolled. How many years do you have to enroll in med school? If they take 50 - 100 enrollees each year x how many years??

If this is just undergrads, then I would assume 4 years

If this is just undergrads, then I would assume 4 years

Medical students have already fibnished undergrad, (we have at least a bachelors degree, some even have masters or PhD's) and so are in the 22-35 year old age range, to clarify that. Medical school is a 4 year program. The first 2 years are spent on the basic sciences/ pathology. This is mainly lecture/small group/lab type deal. Very traditional learning. Years 3 and 4 are spent rotating through the hopsitals, and in GR that includes Blodgett, Butterworth, and Saint Mary's and I believe Pine Rest for Psychiatry.

So yes, when everything is in place you will have 400 med students in the area. But I guess I'm just saying that it probably won't add a traditional "student" feel, like GVSU adds to the area. It will probaby add more of a young professional feel, since we tend too be older, sometimes have families, and are very busy.

Really, adding the Med school will most affect the research at the VanAndel (as I understand it MSU is hoping to make this a research focused campus) with more clinical and lab research than was ever possible in East Lansing. This is a very exciting start to an acedemic teaching hospital scene (MSU GR will rival Ann Arbor, I can feel it!!!) :yahoo: Medical breakthroughs will be coming from the Medical Mile!!

I thought I read this was going to be an undergrad school?

Maybe I was wrong.

No, this is definately a graduate Medical School. The confusion might come from some of the terminology we use. Medical school is often termed "undergraduate medical education" to differentiate it from "Graduate Medical Education". Those who are persuing graduate medical education are the interns and residents that work in the hospitals. They are graduates of medical school, carry a title of MD or DO, but they haven't completed their specialty training.

Hope this makes sense!

I thought I read this was going to be an undergrad school?

Maybe I was wrong.

Medical students have finished their BS degrees. (Heard of "pre-med?) My sister the Doctor: U-M 1976, WSU 1980.

Sometimes it takes a few years to get into medical school. MSU Human Medicine (yes, that's what they call it!) tends to have "non-traditional" students--ones who are older, career changers, women and minorities, foreign students. (Or at least they did when another family member was on the faculty.)

[Need some elective? PM me. Best doc at Sparrow and they are trying to throw her under the bus.]