Medical Mile/Michigan Street Developments

joeDowntown

City oughta scrape off the lane lines and make it 4 lanes for the duration, with a south curb lane barricaded off for use by peds. Presently the westbound lane (adjacent to the building site) is very narrow, and those jersey walls look v-e-r-y hard.

I noticed today that they've blocked off the entire bus lane on the South side of the street and are going to allocate half of that lane to pedestrians. :thumbsup:

From the City:

Starting Date: 12/06/2006 10:00AM

Ending Date: 02/28/2007 05:00PM

Description:

BOSTWICK AVENUE SOUTH OF MICHIGAN WILL BE REDUCED TO ONE LANE IN EACH DIRECTION FOR DEMOLITION OF SPECTRUM HEALTH PARKING RAMP IN PREPARATION FOR THE CONSTRUCTION OF THE CHILDREN'S HOSPITAL.

I am starting to feel like this is turning in to a odd version of Monopoly- Michigan Street style. You have Meijer, Van Andel, DeVos, etc. Pretty soon they will be putting houses and hotels up on their spots... wait, I think that is already happening.

Not complaining- it is all good. But c'mon, with the jail just a mile up the road, Bridgewater and Riverhouse, the Boardwalk condos down the street, I'm just saying...

Sweet! My 1,000th post!!

Anyway, I'm glad to see that old outdated Parking Ramp has parked its last car to be replaced by somthing far more meaningful. Reguardless of the architectual merit of the new Children's Hospital one has to admit that it will be a much appriciated benefit to the entire region because its not the appearance of the building that counts. Its what's going to be happening inside the new hospital that will hit home. So I for one will be welcoming the new hospital with open arms.

From the City:

Starting Date: 12/06/2006 10:00AM

Ending Date: 02/28/2007 05:00PM

Description:

BOSTWICK AVENUE SOUTH OF MICHIGAN WILL BE REDUCED TO ONE LANE IN EACH DIRECTION FOR DEMOLITION OF SPECTRUM HEALTH PARKING RAMP IN PREPARATION FOR THE CONSTRUCTION OF THE CHILDREN'S HOSPITAL.

Has anyone noticed if they've started demolition of the parking ramp yet? I saw they had the fences up and a small dumpster on the West side the other day.

I walk past it everyday - I haven't noticed anything yet. If they're working, they're being very sneaky. I have yet to see people or equipment inside the fenced-off area.

Well now we know what VAI wanted with the land that Al & Sons Garage sits on. It's interesting that they show the stairs at Crescent Park taken out and replaced with terraces. I don't think those stairs get used much.

%7Boption%7D320519952_1b80a8bc87_o.jpg%7Boption%7D

http://www.ci.grand-rapids.mi.us//download...9275400ebb6.pdf

so they wanted that land for their monkey delivery services :lol: I like how they added the quick fix repairs up and down the street there.

Edited by snoogit

Wow, is that on the land that MSU purchased a few weeks ago?

Yes. It's the building that sits right out at Michigan on that property. Very strange. MSU certainly doesn't need it for parking (or expansion) yet. If they tear down the other building they own now behind Bagel Beanery, I'll really be scratching my head.

Ryternrezdence posted some better photos HERE.

Yes. It's the building that sits right out at Michigan on that property. Very strange. MSU certainly doesn't need it for parking (or expansion) yet. If they tear down the other building they own now behind Bagel Beanery, I'll really be scratching my head.

Maybe MSU will want to use this space as a construction staging area when they build the new school building/complex. When everything is completed, they will make/pave it into parking for possible future expansion.