Medical Mile/Michigan Street Developments

joeDowntown

You're right Andrew. That rendering is horrible. I've looked for a better one, but the only one I've seen was in a special downtown development issue of MiBiz that was out last summer. I should see if I can get a back-issue of it.

They needed to outline the "step-down" better. And the rendering doesn't show very well the nice concave glass effect on the East side of the building (circled):

346699034_22019439e3_o.jpg

It's going to be a VERY sharp looking building IMO.

That looks like a construction drawing/building elevation, not a "rendering". Notice the column lines and floor elevation indications.

Edited by rivegauche

Rails-to-Trails bailed out on taking the bridge...not sure where it's new home will be (most likely scrap). Originally it was going to be used near Holland.

The removed bridge/crosswalk is still intact. I saw it sitting in an empty lot the other day and can't remember where. It may have been down along the river near the City Services lots? Nonetheless, it may still be available to interested parties.

Anyone venture a guess as to who to call about inquiring about the used crosswalk? I may have an interested party.

Did they just want to clear that little building out because it was ugly, or do they really need that little parking lot? I mean its only like 35 spaces, maybe.

dtown, the building being cleared now, and the brick one next to it, are being taken down to make this new parking lot. The picture I took is from the opposite angle from the top of that hill.

320519952_1b80a8bc87.jpg

I realized that, but what i meant was Do you think they really need that little parking lot, or do you think they just didnt want that little crappy building next to their shiny new building, making them look bad.

Ah, it may be a little of both, but there is a surface parking lot that will be lost when they start construction. My guess is when these buildings are gone and the new lot built (which might take a couple of weeks), then excavation will start on the project.

crushed concrete mixed with clay/crushed stone makes a very good substitute for traditional gravel road/driveway surface. It is less dusty when it is dry in the summer, and it holds up better when it thaws in the spring.... traditional clay based gravel turns to mush when it thaws on clay subsurfaces.

crushed concrete mixed with clay/crushed stone makes a very good substitute for traditional gravel road/driveway surface. It is less dusty when it is dry in the summer, and it holds up better when it thaws in the spring.... traditional clay based gravel turns to mush when it thaws on clay subsurfaces.

Last year my sis made a plate of fudge that turned out dry and crumbly. I crumbled it further and stirred it into brownie batter. Results: excellent.

Kindof like that, except that the curing process is different.

[might be time to eat some dinner!]

I could also envision bigger plans in the long-term future. VAI now owns this new surface lot, and the old Mercantile building. Only one building (which is perpetually for sale) sits in the way of a pretty big contiguous piece of land straight down Division. Interesting to think what could work on that site especially if big pharms. companies and research-based business decide to move closer to VAI.

Joe

I could also envision bigger plans in the long-term future. VAI now owns this new surface lot, and the old Mercantile building. Only one building (which is perpetually for sale) sits in the way of a pretty big contiguous piece of land straight down Division. Interesting to think what could work on that site especially if big pharms. companies and research-based business decide to move closer to VAI.

Joe

VAI 3

Wow! We're going to get another tower crane over the Children's Hospital site once construction starts. We have all the others across the street working on Medical Towers and the new Cancer Center. Then by the time construction starts on the Children's Hospital, we'll see yet another tower crane hovering over River House. Then there are the tower cranes over the new GRAM and the J.W. Mariott Added to that are all the smaller cranes lending a helping hand on all the construction sites. With all of these cranes everywhere, the GR skyline is starting to resemble the construction sites in Dubai. :yahoo:

Not so fast there man, by the time the DeVos Children's hospital gets a tower crane I would think the JW crane, and possibly the GRAM crane would be taken down.

The removed bridge/crosswalk is still intact. I saw it sitting in an empty lot the other day and can't remember where. It may have been down along the river near the City Services lots? Nonetheless, it may still be available to interested parties.

Anyone venture a guess as to who to call about inquiring about the used crosswalk? I may have an interested party.

Nobody has answered this question, so I'm merely bumping it back to the top. Anyone know anything about this cross walk and its future? I may have an interested party.

Nobody has answered this question, so I'm merely bumping it back to the top. Anyone know anything about this cross walk and its future? I may have an interested party.

Who removed it?

I think Grand River Construction is doing the work currently up to grade, but the bid for the above grade work is awarded tomorrow (IIRC)

FilmMaker: I have no idea who owns it, but call Gelock. They took it down, and it's sitting right across the street from their place on Market Ave (by the big Power Plant).

I was torn as to whether to put this in the Children's Hospital thread or this one. Oh well.

353114364_56bd76a500_b.jpg

Second terrace covering has been added. They're really moving on that steel. I forgot how much faster steel is than concrete.

353114372_c730f955ab_b.jpg