Medical Mile/Michigan Street Developments

joeDowntown

1.) It would be interesting to stradle a tower over Dvision Ave. between the I-196 and Michigan St. overpasses. Needless to say driving under a 10 to 20 story building would be a memberable way of entering DT from the northern areas of the Metro. However how much engineering would it take to build over the road? Plus, how much impact would it have by closing that stretch of Division, an arterial road into DT, for a year or two for construction?

2.) Positioning the school on the space enclosed by the off ramp just to the west would force the building to go vertical which wold be great for the local 'scraper buffs. But there would be no room to grow should the school be a runaway success. That is unless the initial building was purposfully overbuilt to accomadate additional height that would be added in the future as the school grows.

3.) The idea of replacing the GR Press building would make me jump for joy in a heartbeat as that building has to be the butt-uglyiest peice of puke-itecture in GR. But the question is how willing is the Press willing to give up their HQ.

4.) Unless MSU has its sights firmly set on the Medical Towers development what about that area on Division and Cresent where I believe some structures are being demolished?

afterall it is a childrens hospital with the intentions of capturing imaginations

Hmm.. I always thought the intent of a children's hospital would be to cure sick children. :P

I think its ok. I can't see the needle becoming any sort of icon outside of Michigan. My opinion of this building will depend greatly on what that ground floor along Michigan looks like.

so which drawing is the final design for this building? I have seen a few but the one atop looks like an older version...

Nope, that design with the spire and cables, and the waves at the ground floor, is the latest. I think these are all the different versions:

devos_childrens3.jpg

devos_childrens4.jpg

devos_childrens5.jpg

189784194_90c3aef540_o.jpg

189784198_26817ad26f_o.jpg

devos_childrens.jpg

newdvch.smallpromo.jpg

But this last one is what was submitted to the planning commission.

255621794_5158589585.jpg

edit: although, based on that image in the e-packet, I don't know if the waves will be straight across or will "plunge" down to Bostwick/Michigan St? You might be right JP9. The detailed drawing shows the waves straight across.

devos_childrens6.jpg

I don't think they were going for a "national icon". Those are pretty big shoes to fill. Freedom Tower in NY might be considered a national icon, or the St. Louis Arch, or the Sears Tower.

ION, the Lemmen Holton Pavilion across the street in that last image looks pretty funky. I like it.

1.) It would be interesting to stradle a tower over Dvision Ave. between the I-196 and Michigan St. overpasses. Needless to say driving under a 10 to 20 story building would be a memberable way of entering DT from the northern areas of the Metro. However how much engineering would it take to build over the road? Plus, how much impact would it have by closing that stretch of Division, an arterial road into DT, for a year or two for construction?

The House Office Building in Lansing has 7 stories over Ottawa Street (if I remember the street correctly - heck, I used to work there...). As I recall the street was closed for over a year during construction.

Can't shed any light on the engineering that goes into a building like that, but it's an example anyway...

Here's sparky's example:

Anderson House Office Building

It looks like this building (which is relatively shallow at the point where it crosses Ottawa) used three sets of two oncrete columns and a massive concrete beam. For a deeper building more columns and beams could probably be added.

There is another example in southfield that uses giant (exposed) trusses that support the section over the road. In this case the span is wider and the building is taller and more massive than the other example.

Here's sparky's example:

It looks like this building (which is relatively shallow at the point where it crosses Ottawa) used three sets of two oncrete columns and a massive concrete beam. For a deeper building more columns and beams could probably be added.

There is another example in southfield that uses giant (exposed) trusses that support the section over the road. In this case the span is wider and the building is taller and more massive than the other example.

It's pretty neat driving under McCormick place in Chicago, that place looked like a traffic nightmare when it was being built!

BTW - Why all the hate on Secchia? Seems like a bunch of Urbanites are making unneccesary snide comments.

I'm sure if a good development willing to pay good money came along, the Press would move aside in a heartbeat. That building has to be somewhat cavernous with the printing press and delivery trucks gone. I would have to imagine (other than the reception area) that the first floor is unused.

3.) The idea of replacing the GR Press building would make me jump for joy in a heartbeat as that building has to be the butt-uglyiest peice of puke-itecture in GR. But the question is how willing is the Press willing to give up their HQ.

Thursday it is. So there will be four towers at the site, instead of three and the Lemmon-Holton? Or will MSU just occupy one of the existing ones. My other thought, is that I hope it looks cooler than the exisiting buildings going up on the project. The Homogeneity of it all is astounding.

The parking ramp costs more than the building!

The med school at 15.7 million dollars and 27 million for parking.

http://woodtv.com/Global/story.asp?S=5947105

a little misleading if the ramp is under the building - then the ramp is also the footings and foundation of the building. A pretty beefy ramp I bet.

Assuming tv8 has it right... its a pretty big price tag for only 400 students by 2014? ?? any med types out there that can elaborate more on this? will there be a large faculty? will this provide more, lessor degrees than MD's...... how will this school/program compare to others nationally?

a little misleading if the ramp is under the building - then the ramp is also the footings and foundation of the building. A pretty beefy ramp I bet.

Assuming tv8 has it right... its a pretty big price tag for only 400 students by 2014? ?? any med types out there that can elaborate more on this? will there be a large faculty? will this provide more, lessor degrees than MD's...... how will this school/program compare to others nationally?

The dean is moving there, FWIW.

Here's sparky's example:

the Raddison parking ramp in Kalamazoo is built partially over a street, which is kind of cool

I guess I'll post this again:

Proof of Concept

I think the thrust is pretty much the same as what is outlined in this.

From WOODTV:

GRAND RAPIDS -- 24 Hour News 8 has learned the new Michigan State University College of Human Medicine will be located on the northeast corner of Division and Michigan

That would be the far West building in the medical complex, although they do say new drawings will be available Thursday. Let's hope so, that building is boooring (typical URS).

360148002_32183e1189_o.jpg

72964234_e0267d099c_o.jpg