Medical Mile/Michigan Street Developments

joeDowntown

No you don't. Today's Press. It appears they just made a few adjustments to the original rendering. Acording to the Press, it may not be the final design.

Wow, nice work mp! I can't find a link to the entire article on MLive's site yet. Secchia is giving $20 Million toward the project?!

The new rendering is an improvement from the old ones, and we haven't seen it from that NW angle before. A lot more glass on the downtown side. Not earth-shattering, but it will work. Ground floor still leaves a lot to be desired, but otherwise, an exciting development to say the least.

361639021_2c29460cfa_o.jpg

360148002_32183e1189_o.jpg

72964234_e0267d099c_o.jpg

Full Article

Last page mentions that the artists renderings are definitely preliminary, as an architect will be hired to design the new med school. Although, does anyone see it changing that drastically, as it somewhat has to blend in with the rest of that complex?

I don't see why it should have to blend in, however, is the architect limited to what they can do considering it will be on top of a ramp that is already under construction?

I don't see why it should have to blend in, however, is the architect limited to what they can do considering it will be on top of a ramp that is already under construction?

The dean did say the drawings were preliminary - right now it seems to be an extension of the other buildings going in. I expect a little differentiation when the final renderings are approved.

I don't.

Last time I checked, medicine was a profession, not a team.

[MSU, urban planning, 1978]

It's all about getting the word of our MSU kingdom out. And a presence in GR is huge.

The Fab-five was just a team, but there are tons of kids from my generation that atleast applied to michigan based on them and their popularity.

I'd like to see some more metal used (like the roof with the three "holes" (I think that looks cool). Also, I'd like to see something break up the glass wall a bit more and some more transparency in the glass.

Again, they said this was preliminary and I don't think it is horrible on its own. It's a good starting point and hopefully the architect will step in and add some interest to make it a building we can be proud of.

I have to say, the hill is going to make for some pretty sweet picture taking when everything is done. :thumbsup:

Joe

I think that the 11 floors included the parking ramp levels.

Prankster's right. There are four floors of parking and seven floors of office space. I was thinking there was at least some office space on the lower levels on the Division side, but apparently not. At least the parking ramp has the facade extended down onto it to make it not look like parking.

361815249_32667cfea1_o.jpg

On the subject of glass, it would be cool to see it in a transparent silver or gray, which would be a nice offset with the green "Michigan State University" on it (edited)

I first saw the rendering on the front page of the GR Press. I think as far as the overall shape and size of the building, the artist has hit it on the money being that the design is restrained by infrastructure and construction that will allready be in place by the time the med school's construction begins. However, I think all bets are still off when it comes to architectual details. So I expect the same shape and size. But the skin of the building stands a good chance of looking completly different than the artist's conception. As for opinion, even if the building turned out exactly like the artist's rendering, it would still make a very nice book end to the rest of the development and a bold entrence into Medical Mile from DT.

2. Who came up with that awful green "S"? It's a medical school, but a football stadium. Not even in blessed A2 are any buildings except the Stadium marred with a block "M." Not that there's anything wrong with a block "M," mind you. :whistling:

THANK YOU!

When I was a junior, a buddy with a U-M BA decided to go to MSU's journalism school. (Graduate school.) The acceptance letter gave him pause, and he almost backed out upon reading this:

CONGRATULATIONS

YOU ARE A SPARTAN!

As a sometime consumer of medical services, I'd just as soon leave out the partisan team color/mascot stuff.

Edited by Veloise

Probably the one of the many Chevy/Ford fanatic morons that slaps giant Chevy/Ford stickers on the back windows of their Chevy/ Ford pickup trucks, despite the munufacturer's rather large font sized logos emblazoned on the tailgate and all over the rest of the vehicle.

2. Who came up with that awful green "S"?

THANK YOU!

When I was a junior, a buddy with a U-M BA decided to go to MSU's journalism school. (Graduate school.) The acceptance letter gave him pause, and he almost backed out upon reading this:

CONGRATULATIONS

YOU ARE A SPARTAN!

As a sometime consumer of medical services, I'd just as soon leave out the partisan team color/mascot stuff.

I agree. They may have put the big block "S" on the artist's renderings to get people excited about it. A tasteful "shingle" would suffice:

Yes

Logo_Michigan-State-University.gif

No

team-logo-msu.gif

LADave, they haven't chosen an official architect yet. The artist's rendering I posted was probably done by URS, which is designing the rest of the complex.

I agree. They may have put the big block "S" on the artist's renderings to get people excited about it. A tasteful "shingle" would suffice:

Yes

Logo_Michigan-State-University.gif

No

team-logo-msu.gif

LADave, they haven't chosen an official architect yet. The artist's rendering I posted was probably done by URS, which is designing the rest of the complex.

Thanks, GRDad. I completely agree with your thoughts on the logo. The first is very tasteful. The second is boorish. My hope is that taste will out. My fear is that it won't.

I'm not sure of which thread it is, but I am positive some poster was questioning the amount of space in the Medical Hill Development and how could all that space just be offices. It seems to me MSU was in the plans from the start for that site and people were able to Keep it a secret.

The build it and they will come theory worked.