Medical Mile/Michigan Street Developments

joeDowntown

The latest north elevation panorama:

Life Garden formwork at the tunnel portal

01.jpg

Great pictures rleuthueser! Nice to have someone with the inside track.

We haven't heard much about the Life Healing Gardens at the Lemmen Holton Pavilion. Are they going to be similar to the healing gardens at the Meijer Heart Center? I believe they are Japanese inspired?

Great pictures rleuthueser! Nice to have someone with the inside track.

We haven't heard much about the Life Healing Gardens at the Lemmen Holton Pavilion. Are they going to be similar to the healing gardens at the Meijer Heart Center? I believe they are Japanese inspired?

Honestly, I've never seen the Meijer Heart Center gardens. The LHCP Life Garden plantings are still in design, but the layout of all the beds and water features have been locked in. The key points are waterfalls in the main lobby from 3rd-2nd & 2nd-1st floors. There will be ponds on most levels, and the gardens descend down into the south side of the parking structure and tunnel portal. I've got some schematic renderings buried somewhere on the server; let me see if i can find them. I may also be able to post some interior renderings of the main lobby and linear accelerator vaults.

Honestly, I've never seen the Meijer Heart Center gardens. The LHCP Life Garden plantings are still in design, but the layout of all the beds and water features have been locked in. The key points are waterfalls in the main lobby from 3rd-2nd & 2nd-1st floors. There will be ponds on most levels, and the gardens descend down into the south side of the parking structure and tunnel portal. I've got some schematic renderings buried somewhere on the server; let me see if i can find them. I may also be able to post some interior renderings of the main lobby and linear accelerator vaults.

Excellent! Do you also have any renderings of the exterior, possibly looking at the SE and SW corners? I have a feeling the building is great looking, but everything released so far has been lackluster.

Wow, that's sharp! Thanks rleuthueser! :thumbsup:

If you find some more, bring on what you can.

Hopefully I'm not stepping on anybody's toes by posting these, but it's nearly all bid out at this point.

Michigan Street Development w/ LHCP

LHCP-MSD-Camera1-low-res.jpg

Main Lobby

Atrium-small.jpg

Second Floor Life Garden

SecondFloor-small.jpg

Linear Accelerator Vault Waiting Area

Linac-Waiting-Revised-small.jpg

Linear Accelerator Vault Room

Linac-Vault-Revised-small.jpg

Various Interior Elevations

radoncentryelevation02.jpg

radoncentryelevation01.jpg

elevatorcoreelevations.jpg

The Lobby looks awsome. Also, I'm digging the Linear Accelerator Vault interior. It's ceiling looks very much like the ceiling design I'm going to build when I start remodeling my living room sometime this summer. But my favorite aspect of the design is warm color pallet chosen. This will be a very nice place as it does not have the freightening stark and forboding Hospital-ish appearence but instead a very warm and welcoming envionment.

Those look fantastic rl! I like the alternating curved lines in the lobby, and the use of the warm-colored stone. With the sound of cascading waterfalls, it's going to be quite the place to walk into.

Note to Communications Director: Make sure no one calls it a "vault"....ever. Does not give warm fuzzies for cancer patients. ;) (not you r.l., I'm sure that's what you guys are calling it during construction).

Those look fantastic rl! I like the alternating curved lines in the lobby, and the use of the warm-colored stone. With the sound of cascading waterfalls, it's going to be quite the place to walk into.

Note to Communications Director: Make sure no one calls it a "vault"....ever. Does not give warm fuzzies for cancer patients. ;) (not you r.l., I'm sure that's what you guys are calling it during construction).

haha...yeah, vault is one step away from tomb :) We have yet to hear a warm fuzzy name from anybody else though. In fact, there are maze walls used to enter the vaults rather than the standard massive doors that seal patients inside in an attempt to make it less intimidating and "vault-like".

The plantings are just boilerplate "clipart" and shouldn't be taken too literally, but they give a good idea of where the green space exists. Frederick Meijer Gardens is teaming with URS & Spectrum to finalize the garden composition.

The waterfalls will be dropping through slots in the floor rather than over the edge as shown. It's an interesting system that uses a lot of tiny nozzles shooting fans of water which blend together (thanks to the physics of cohesion) - this allows the waterfall to be completely independent of the water level in the pond & levelness of a dripedge, and allows very accurate control. Theoretically it'll be a great design....theoretically...

I'm sure the URS team would love to know that it's got your support for the design - there are typically some tough critics on here!

Thanks for the pics, rl! Absolutely love the main lobby. And it's not much like Meijer Heart's healing garden (I actually have pics of that but no way to host them at the moment), which has always underwhelmed me, especially compared to the garden at Saint's cancer center.

Wow, it looks great!

And this is the one with steel going up now?

Si.

You can see the roof garden terrace canopies/trellises taking shape on the southwest corner.

01-2.jpg

LHCP-MSD-Camera1-low-res.jpg

The radiused southeast corner will be the last section of steel to be placed (with expection to the section that won't be able to be installed until the tower crane gets pulled out towards the end of the year).

There's a massive truss (approx. 16' high x 76' long) that sits between floors 2 and 3 that will take some time to install; it's currently scheduled for installation mid-February, then things should pick up again through the end of Feb and you'll see some curved sections on a mostly east-west axis on the far east side. The balance of the curves - including the exterior curve extending more on a north-south axis and all of the lobby Life Garden tiered curved sections will follow....late February/March?

Edited by rleuthueser

No surprise here but it is official now, GVSU and MSU have become partners for the project -

http://statenews.com/article.phtml?pk=39398

I wonder if GVSU will think about offering a pre-med major? Although they have a lot of pre-med classes, they don't have a major. I think it's cool that people in this area that want to get a medical degree don't HAVE to leave the area now if they don't want to.

http://www.mlive.com/news/muchronicle/inde...&thispage=1