Medical Mile/Michigan Street Developments

joeDowntown

I wonder if GVSU will think about offering a pre-med major? Although they have a lot of pre-med classes, they don't have a major. I think it's cool that people in this area that want to get a medical degree don't HAVE to leave the area now if they don't want to.

http://www.mlive.com/news/muchronicle/inde...&thispage=1

well that should up the "400 students by 2014" in the building estimate from a previous press release.

You gotta love the philanthropy in this town. Like these people or not, they are putting crazy amounts of money where there mouth is.

Joe

I was just in GR this weekend and was amazed at the philanthropy at every corner. Not just pill hill, but in the GVSU campus on the West Side, the St. Cecilia Auditorium, etc. etc.

My brother told me that a colleague said that in terms of charitable giving, Grand Rapids is second only to Salt Lake City among American metropolitan areas.

I am not surprised.

I was just in GR this weekend and was amazed at the philanthropy at every corner. Not just pill hill, but in the GVSU campus on the West Side, the St. Cecilia Auditorium, etc. etc.

My brother told me that a colleague said that in terms of charitable giving, Grand Rapids is second only to Salt Lake City among American metropolitan areas.

I am not surprised.

Speaking of philanthropy and giving:

MSU Funding - Now for the money

Secchia gift helps project 'get going"

373632709_3b19c6037e_b.jpg

373633088_cea63f7515_b.jpg

I was noticing the curb that goes all the way around the drop-off area by Michigan Street there. Is there going to be an entrance to the cancer center from Michigan, or will all the traffic come in and out off Coit in order to take advantage of the traffic light at the corner?

373633475_55c1fb5abe_b.jpg

I was noticing the curb that goes all the way around the drop-off area by Michigan Street there. Is there going to be an entrance to the cancer center from Michigan, or will all the traffic come in and out off Coit in order to take advantage of the traffic light at the corner?

373633475_55c1fb5abe_b.jpg

There will be no entrance at this corner from Michigan Street. All of the traffic will come from Coit and the circle drive is a drop-off area.

Small update...

The main entrance to Butterworth will be completely closed sometime this year (traffic re-routed to Meijer Heart Center and Ransom Ave entrances). The new entrance will have better access and a two-story lobby.

Demo of the outpatient ramp is scheduled to be complete by the end of March. Following demo, excavation and construction of a retaining system will begin.

Small update...

The main entrance to Butterworth will be completely closed sometime this year (traffic re-routed to Meijer Heart Center and Ransom Ave entrances). The new entrance will have better access and a two-story lobby.

Demo of the outpatient ramp is scheduled to be complete by the end of March. Following demo, excavation and construction of a retaining system will begin.

Thanks beergeek. It's amazing how great Van Andel Institute looks when you come down Michigan now, with it completely exposed. Too bad it will only be for a little while.

Anyone know how tall this building is going to be? They keep listing it as 14 stories, but I thought I read that it was going to be only 12. Or are they counting floors below grade, like the County Courthouse does?

Fourteen stories. The confusion comes from the fact that the tower is 12 stories, and the above grade "platform" on which it will sit is 2 stories. The platform will have parking and functional office space as far as I understand.

Oops! :blush: 3 story podium! Most of the podium is above grade, just not the short east side that is set into the hill, right? Does that make a difference in measuring for the official height of this building?

About 60% of the base is exposed above grade. I don't think this building is going for any kind of height record though, although I was under the impression they wanted the spire to be the "tallest geographical point downtown". With the added height to River House, it's going to be close.

About 60% of the base is exposed above grade. I don't think this building is going for any kind of height record though, although I was under the impression they wanted the spire to be the "tallest geographical point downtown". With the added height to River House, it's going to be close.

Is the spire still part of the plan? I was under the impression that it had been taken out of the design to be replaced by something much less... spirey.

Is the spire still part of the plan? I was under the impression that it had been taken out of the design to be replaced by something much less... spirey.

I hadn't heard of any "de-spiring". It was in the formal submittal to the planning commission, along with detailed cross sections of the spire.

Sorry for the poor quality, but this is all I've got.

376522930_68093e817d_o.jpg

I wonder if the ceiling inside the "corridor" of the pedestrian bridge will get taller and taller as you get closer to the Children's Hospital, or if there is a separate corridor inside the "triangle"? And if there is a separate corridor, I wonder if it will have a glass ceiling? (questions questions)

376522927_d95219c98c_b.jpg