Medical Mile/Michigan Street Developments

joeDowntown

Thats so lame, the cabling and spire aren't even structural. I sure hope JB isn't selling the HDCH that it actually is structural. That thing needs to get VE-ed out. The rest of the bridge is cool with me. I'm intrigued by the way it evolves in section across its length.

y do you want it gone???? i think its awesome, something diff. and exciting. not just another walking bridge :shades:

y do you want it gone???? i think its awesome, something diff. and exciting. not just another walking bridge :shades:

Here's my anti-spire rant from Page 6 of this thread...

I think the problem is that its "Calatrava-esque" and not an actual Calatrava. The Calatravas and Gehrys and Hadids of the world are so precise and so distinctive that they can't be beautifully "-esqued". The proportions of the members of that "Calatrava-esque" bridge are way off and don't appear to even be functioning structurally, but rather applied as decoration to mimic the Spaniard's aesthetic. The thing with Calatrava's bridges is that you can see the structural diagram, are mystified that such slender pieces actual perform that diagram, and are in awe of the poetry of it all.

I think the jet black facade is to make the bridge stand out, basically its "CalderPlaza-esque".

Hey, i've got a great idea! Forget about the children in the hospital, let's make the pedestrian overpass the central focus of our design concept!

... I still feel the same way

If memory serves me correctly, one of the requests from the folks wanting this new hospital is to make the building stand out. Therefore, one has to admit that the building's design for better or for worse will resoundingly achieve that goal, spire, decorative cablestays and all.

Hey, i've got a great idea! Forget about the children in the hospital, let's make the pedestrian overpass the central focus of our design concept!

Wow, harsh. The "children in the hospital" will be best served by the cutting-edge staff and equipment inside the building. I realize that's not the focus of this forum, but the external appearance of the hospital has little to do with providing care for the patients. Feel free to rip on the design for asthetic reasons, but don't imply it has anything to do with neglect of the patients.

I'll confess I'm too lazy to go thru all the old posts in this thread but I have some renderings of the lobby, a patient's room, and some other internal stuff. PM me if anyone would like to see them or host them for me.

There are people in the scientific community who would rather see all dollars go to funding research rather than to the aesthetics of their workplace. I've heard several people say about the VAI Chihuly, for example, "do you know how much research that would buy?"

Yes, yes I do. But I also know that appearance is a huge part of the fundraising process.

There are people in the scientific community who would rather see all dollars go to funding research rather than to the aesthetics of their workplace. I've heard several people say about the VAI Chihuly, for example, "do you know how much research that would buy?"

Yes, yes I do. But I also know that appearance is a huge part of the fundraising process.

I don't believe that. They wouldn't have taken a position at VAI had it been set up in a poll barn. The architecture of a building does influence the perception of what goes on in that building. And it's not like VAI has gold-plated fixtures and Italian marble floors all over.

Wow, harsh. The "children in the hospital" will be best served by the cutting-edge staff and equipment inside the building. I realize that's not the focus of this forum, but the external appearance of the hospital has little to do with providing care for the patients. Feel free to rip on the design for asthetic reasons, but don't imply it has anything to do with neglect of the patients.

I'll confess I'm too lazy to go thru all the old posts in this thread but I have some renderings of the lobby, a patient's room, and some other internal stuff. PM me if anyone would like to see them or host them for me.

Flickr.com - free image hosting

Let's seem those renderings!

Let's seem those renderings!

These renderings showed up recently in my email :whistling:

Entrance Rendering

post-6831-1170620312_thumb.jpg

Lobby Rendering

post-6831-1170620380_thumb.jpg

Child's Guest Room

post-6831-1170620342_thumb.jpg

Spectrum at Twighlight

post-6831-1170620537_thumb.jpg

Spectrum at Night

post-6831-1170620454_thumb.jpg

Spectrum in Grand Rapids Skyline

post-6831-1170620414_thumb.jpg

Please note, I did not take or create these pictures and renderings.

What does this all look like from Belknap Hill?

This post back a couple of pages shows the most recent view from Belknap Hill.

Interesting, an article written by James Prichard of the Associated Press about Healthcare Hill hit a number of Michigan newspapers today, but it also hit the Dallas Ft. Worth Star-Telegram:

Grand Rapids banking on $1 B medical distict

Here were the other papers:

Google - Grand Rapids banks on $1 B medical district

(I also just noticed it landed in a Central Pennsylvania publication)

Noticed today that the skeleton of the Lemmon-Holton is plainly visible from 131 northbound by Hall (I think). that whole complex is going to be like spackle, filling in gaps in the skyline from the south. I just wish we could get something taller built more toward the center of downtown to break up that line a little bit.

So can somebody clue me in to what those funny-looking silver projections are that run across the top floor? They really stand out in person against the brownish steel.

I am guessing that the gray steel will be for some exterior screen wall. The main building steel did not get painted because it all gets fireproofing applied to it.