Medical Mile/Michigan Street Developments

joeDowntown

Am I right that the surface lot in the forefront of that picture will be extinct with this project?

Like gvsusean said, yes. It will fill that entire space out to the edge of that lot, sort of like this:

388724421_7cb5c25a89_o.jpg

(I'll check back on this picture in 2009 and see how I made out)

However, there is a surface lot being built on the opposite corner to replace this one.

In other VAI news:

VAI takes on osteoporosis

The method, announced Monday, doubled the bone density of lab mice by removing a gene that causes bone-producing cells to die, said Bart Williams, a molecular biologist who headed the team of researchers. Drugs used for treating osteoporosis in humans often have undesirable side effects and only slow the loss of bone that comes with age, but the method developed by researchers reversed the bone loss in mice, Williams said.

The focus now will shift to developing a drug that could produce the same result in humans, Williams said, estimating that could take up to 10 years.

The crane/ auger rig is for the construction of a retaining wall (Specifically lag and pile earth retention system).

The lag and pile driver has moved over to the hillside. They must have been just staging it next to that building on N. Division. Don't know why they would need a retaining wall next to that building for a surface parking lot.

http://vai.oxblue.com/vari/

So I dug my camera out last night to try to contribute pictures to the site...only to discover that I can't find my battery charger anywhere :cry:

So no pictures, but the next phase of steel has gone up seemingly instantaneously. The area to the east of the building (where the patient drop-off is) has gone from nothing to 2 stories of steel just this morning. Extra impressive in 5degree weather!

As I'm seeing the structure of this development growing and comming together, I'm begining to think that this addition to the GR skyline will look alot bigger than what any rendering shows.

I was driving north on 131 this afternoon and was suprised that you can see this development shooting up behind the rest of the skyline. It shows that it is altering the skyline from every view! :thumbsup: