Medical Mile/Michigan Street Developments

joeDowntown

Van Andel Institute research agreement reached with Singapore

Scientists from VAI will conduct research in Singapore, and Singapore scientists will conduct research here. I think we're going to be hearing about many more of these over the next couple of years. More details are supposed to be out this afternoon.

Here's a VAI construction Public Service Announcement for all the UP friends....

If you're on Division headed north and want to get to Michigan, I like to take Crescent up to Bostwick since that little connector ramp is closed. (Plus, Crescent is a cool, curvy street!) DON'T do this in the morning when GRCC is around. I got halfway up Crescent and was stopped in traffic. It didn't move and suddenly I had 6 cars in front of me and 10-12 behind. After traffic didn't move for 5 minutes, I asked a construction worker what the hold up was. He said, "Those ****** all wait to get into the parking ramp until the previous class gets out." I was stuck and it looked like it would be about 15 minutes before the top of the hour. Five minutes later, one person scooted through so I got out, moved barrels and asked people to move their cars so I could get through. WHAT A PAIN!

Hopefully something can be done about that...poor unsuspecting people like me could get caught for 15-25 minutes.

Boy, if I were a GRCC student I'd definately find another way! DASH, bus or walk. I find it funny that people will wait for 20 minutes to park by the door.

Boy, if I were a GRCC student I'd definately find another way! DASH, bus or walk. I find it funny that people will wait for 20 minutes to park by the door.

When I went to GRCC, I used to park where the Van Andel Arena now stands, and walk from there. It was free at that time. It was great walking through downtown. I got to know it pretty good in those days. Can't imagine people being so loathe to walk that they'll wait 20 minutes to get into the parkade, never mind nearly as long to get back out.

Van Andel Institute research agreement reached with Singapore

Scientists from VAI will conduct research in Singapore, and Singapore scientists will conduct research here. I think we're going to be hearing about many more of these over the next couple of years. More details are supposed to be out this afternoon.

I don't think the effects of this should be understated. Deals like this will really put the VAI on a global level, and that will certainly help when it comes to recruitment, winning grants, etc.

i was leaving class from the DT GVSU campus and i could see the towers peeking out from above the other buildings... it was nice..... how much taller are we talking?

Just a tad higher for Lemmen Holton, and the remainder of the complex, including MSU, look like they are all at the same geographic height.

When I went to GRCC, I used to park where the Van Andel Arena now stands, and walk from there. It was free at that time. It was great walking through downtown. I got to know it pretty good in those days. Can't imagine people being so loathe to walk that they'll wait 20 minutes to get into the parkade, never mind nearly as long to get back out.

I would park in the Belknapp neighborhood when I attended GRCC and walk across Coit bridge and down Michigan to Bostwick. I always enjoyed the walk (Rainy days were not quite so pleasant...but that's why you dress for the weather) and with all the construction getting underway it was rather exiting...not to mention the fantastic views of the city from Belknapp every morning!

The first floors of the other buildings start two levels below that of the LHCP. Thus, even though all of the buildings are roughly the same height the LHCP will appear two stories taller.

Do you mean "start 2 levels below" because of the steep grade of Michigan hill, or that 2 floors' worth of offices will be underground?