Medical Mile/Michigan Street Developments

joeDowntown

Correct me if I am wrong Sparky, but I think this is the building on the West end of the developement. They are just that high with the parking garage levels already.

Yes, that is the furthest West building in the complex, so yes, it would be the med school site. I haven't heard anything about plans being finished, so I believe they are still finishing off the parking ramp levels.

Didn't necessarily want to start a new topic for this, but did anyone catch the front page of the Press today?

Van Andel Institute find could stem the spread of cancer

Researchers at VAI think they've identified the protein that causes cancer to spread (metastisize). Apparently most people who die from cancer don't die from the initial tumor, but from the cancer spreading. Now that they believe they've identified this "blebbing" protein, stopping it from moving could stop the spread of cancer.

Holy ****.

Didn't necessarily want to start a new topic for this, but did anyone catch the front page of the Press today?

Researchers at VAI think they've identified the protein that causes cancer to spread (metastisize). Apparently most people who die from cancer don't die from the initial tumor, but from the cancer spreading. Now that they believe they've identified this "blebbing" protein, stopping it from moving could stop the spread of cancer.

Holy ****.

Holy crap indeed. So many of us have had or know someone who has had some form of cancer or anther. This is outstanding news.

Holy ****.

I think the Van Andels can finally make money off of something besides soap :lol: (Thats a joke btw)

I hope this spurs some really interesting investment in DT GR...

Nice pics Dad.

Has anyone done a photoshop or sketchup view of what the HDCH will look like when entering downtown on 131 from the south? I was noticing how you can see the Cancer center as you drive into town. I wonder how much of the Children's hospital you will see and what the spire will look like from that angle. I'm pretty sure it will be the highest point in the skyline. Not to mention the crane!

My guess would be between phase I and II since construction seems to have spread to the south end of phase one.

There was a proposed tower I thought at one time for VAI, but I'm not sure where that went or where it would have gone.

In other good news, it looks like they are getting ready to bulldoze the surface lot:

http://vai.oxblue.com/vari/

Anyone know where the tower crane will go for this project?

If this were my construction project. I'd place the crane at the north west corner. That way materials can be staged either on Michigan St. or the cross street. I'm not sure when construction of Spectrum's new lobby is to start. But a second choice would be at the east side of the children's Hospital site so the crane can handle both the children's hospital and the new lobby at the same time.

Hate to jump the gun too much, but does anyone know where the tower crane will go up on this project? And whether it will be 1 or 2 tower cranes? The site has a rather large footprint:

358739768_bda012c73e_o.jpg