Medical Mile/Michigan Street Developments

joeDowntown

Wow $274 million would make it the single most expensive project in downtown's history, eclipsing the $250 million spent on Devos Place, althoguh i think it would probably cost more than $274 million to build DP if they were to start today.

New numbers are in for the cost of the new children's hospital, pegged now at $274 Million (was previously reported at $200 Million):

http://www.grbj.com/GRBJ/ArticleArchive/20...rnal+Report.htm

Love those balconies:

Here's something intersting - blocks:

Anyone know what this looks like on the renderings?

:blink: From today:

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/205/4630714...fdc342f38_b.jpg

I'm guessing those block are for that long vertical section that extends from the roof to the ground floor. It's hard to tell from the rendering, but I believe the "wall" section ( :sick:) to the left of my red circle is recessed back a bit.

463133237_7162c5d8e2_o.jpg

:blink: From today:

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/205/4630714...fdc342f38_b.jpg

I'm guessing those block are for that long vertical section that extends from the roof to the ground floor. It's hard to tell from the rendering, but I believe the "wall" section ( :sick:) to the left of my red circle is recessed back a bit.

463133237_7162c5d8e2_o.jpg

Move your circle left to where the piers are. The piers are what you are seeing in the picture. FYI they have also started the piers on the north side of the building.

^The blue isn't the Helen DeVos, is it? I don't remember it being that tall. Is it something else?

...and are the two white lines just representative of a crane?

Yes, it's the Children's Hospital Michi, and the white lines represent the big spire. I may have gotten a bit too generous with the height, but it will be taller than any other building in that area.

Toward the end of this video gives a good idea of the height compared to other surrounding buildings (3:45 into it). The 3d is from the old design.

^The blue isn't the Helen DeVos, is it? I don't remember it being that tall. Is it something else?

The Children's Hospital is supposed to be 12 stories above ground. And the 2 white lines represent a funky looking skywalk that will span Michigan St between the RDV development and the Children's Hospital.

Yup. It is. It's going to be nice and tall!

Nope - they're representative of the big spire that will be part of the skywalk/children's hospital.

Take a big hole...

112193975_923e8c92bc_b.jpg

...insert massive steel structure:

466366590_29800325a8_b.jpg

Probably the largest construction zone in Grand Rapids' history (other than maybe urban renewal circa 1960):

466366548_f364d23be3_b.jpg

Full Size

The place:

466366618_1140020766_b.jpg

And a bonus I thought you guys might enjoy. I imagine this has no fascia to speak of because the area where the Cook Institute and the Wolverine office are currently will be developed someday? This is only 1/2 the current Spectrum ramp BTW:

466366580_7e46512aef_b.jpg

Three responces are way better than one! :P At least we all know we'll get a quick responce to any question on UP GR.

Yes, indeed! I won't forget now that's for sure.

Wonderful job at keeping the updates fresh on all the projects, everyone! :)

Perhaps much of the cost may include the state of the art equipment that this hospital will feature. Things like cat scanners, x-ray machines, etc. surely are not cheap.

Children's Hospital gets local CON approval

Seems risky to go ahead with all the site work and everything before you have state approval. It is interesting that they are spending $274 Million and only adding 150 or so beds (not to be critical).

Edited by tamias6