Medical Mile/Michigan Street Developments

joeDowntown

I thought the cancer center was to be built first? are they just doing it all at once? I was headed to class the other day and there was construction on Division at the site. I'm real excited about that because it would be developement along division in a spot thats essentially dead. I'd like to see more along that part of Div., after Plainfield turns because it's a pretty boring commute!

well from what I understand it is separate, in a sense. But RDV has a huge vested interest in Spectrum, and alot of the offices in the new complex will be spectrum. In fact right now, Spectrum occupies almost all of the Towers complex and they are going to tear that one down after the first tower is built so those offices can pretty much operate and transition with little pain. I'd say that they are pretty deeply intertwined.

Yes, from what I have read, at least one tower of the new 3 tower complex will house Spectrum offices to replace the Towers Building. One of the others will house new medical research offices to be announced later somewhat connected with Spectrum (and possibly with MSU) and the third tower MAY be some kind of hotel/offices.

The Lemmen Holton Cancer Center is the fourth building furthest to the East, where BK used to be. You can see more renderings/site plans here:

http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.ph...35entry237740

I've just been grouping the photos together out of laziness. I should really put the Cancer Pavilion ones in that thread :blush:

Edited by GRDadof3

well this is really good news. i only thought it was a matter of time before they started on the second phase. its good to hear that with each completed project there are always more on the horizon. i can't begin to imagine the growth that is going on in this area in GR. with the midtown village going well, this, and the towers development, i think firm plans for msu's med school can only be around the corner as well.

I'm a student employee in the Dean's office of the MSU College of Human Medicine. I can tell you that plans are being finalized, and a big announcement will be made in the near future about the Grand Rapids expansion.

Yes, from what I have read, at least one tower of the new 3 tower complex will house Spectrum offices to replace the Towers Building. One of the others will house new medical research offices to be announced later somewhat connected with Spectrum (and possibly with MSU) and the third tower MAY be some kind of hotel/offices.

The Lemmen Holton Cancer Center is the fourth building furthest to the East, where BK used to be. You can see more renderings/site plans here:

http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.ph...35entry237740

I've just been grouping the photos together out of laziness. I should really put the Cancer Pavilion ones in that thread :blush:

Is the cancer center being built on top of a street?

I'm a student employee in the Dean's office of the MSU College of Human Medicine. I can tell you that plans are being finalized, and a big announcement will be made in the near future about the Grand Rapids expansion.

Thanks for THAT bit of news statedude :D Although it's a different project. All I got is Spring 2006 ground-breaking from their press release:

http://www.vai.org/vai/newsDetail.asp?PostingId=110

I'd like to see them take the Padnos properties on the west side. I'd be pretty nice to replace the dump next to dt with a brand new Medical research institution.

Not to get off subject too much, but what ever happened to the rumor of Shelly Padnos donating that land to GVSU to build a new football stadium? That rumor was floating around about a year ago.

The Cancer Center is going to be built first, but they are prepping the site for construction of the massive parking ramp under the entire complex (I believe). I think designcritic is on the construction/design team, so maybe he/she can give us another rundown.

Picture the site as three pieces: east, center and west. The east and west sections are currently under construction and the center will begin as soon as the first new tower is complete. Construction work is currently being done on the temporary support to retain the earth so the deck can be built. Once this work is complete a tunnel about 50' below Michigan Street will be built connecting the LHCP to the Future Children's Hospital. Then the parking structure work can begin. Once the deck is complete the towers will be built on top of it. This first tower will be occupied by the current Towers Medical Building tenants as well as some new ones and it will sit on the east half of the west section. There will eventually be two towers on the west section, one on the center section and the Lemmen Holton Cancer Pavilion on the East section. There will also be a bridge connecting to the Children's Hospital and one connecting to the Van Andel Institute. This is a huge multi year project with many phases so don't expect it to be done in two years.

Picture the site as three pieces: east, center and west. The east and west sections are currently under construction and the center will begin as soon as the first new tower is complete. Construction work is currently being done on the temporary support to retain the earth so the deck can be built. Once this work is complete a tunnel about 50' below Michigan Street will be built connecting the LHCP to the Future Children's Hospital. Then the parking structure work can begin. Once the deck is complete the towers will be built on top of it. This first tower will be occupied by the current Towers Medical Building tenants as well as some new ones and it will sit on the east half of the west section. There will eventually be two towers on the west section, one on the center section and the Lemmen Holton Cancer Pavilion on the East section. There will also be a bridge connecting to the Children's Hospital and one connecting to the Van Andel Institute. This is a huge multi year project with many phases so don't expect it to be done in two years.

:blink: I had to read that about three times to get it all. :P Thanks for the update!

This is a huge multi year project with many phases so don't expect it to be done in two years.

Sounds like we need to be more patient.... :whistling:

I think we won't see vertical construction for a while anyway. I would imagine the walkway over Michigan from Towers will come down soon? They are apparently going to start demolishing the current parking ramp for the Children's Hospital in the Spring.

You are correct. There won't be any construction above grade for over a year. The deck contains about 2300 spaces so you can imagine it is going to take some time to build. Over the course of the project there will be four different tower cranes on the site. It sure would be nice if they could all be going up at the same time but that can't happen due to the phasing issues.

Front page of the Grand Rapids Press looks strangely like this thread:

http://www.mlive.com/grpress/frontpage/pdfs/A1_Tuesday.pdf

Dykema Excavating says they are about at the 1/2 way mark. That means they have another 125,000 cubic yards of sand, or another 3125 dump truck loads to go. Yikes! :blink:

Sand anyone?

Front page of the Grand Rapids Press looks strangely like this thread:

http://www.mlive.com/grpress/frontpage/pdfs/A1_Tuesday.pdf

Dykema Excavating says they are about at the 1/2 way mark. That means they have another 125,000 cubic yards of sand, or another 3125 dump truck loads to go. Yikes! :blink:

Sand anyone?

Actually, we could use some sand out here, theres nothing but clay where I live.