Medical Mile/Michigan Street Developments

joeDowntown

Tower crane should be operating by the first of September!

Cool, I didn't realize there would be one with this project since it seems so long, but not that tall.

On another note, why would they password protect the VAI webcams? I enjoyed watching the progress that way and I thought the purpose of those cams were to show it off to the general population who can't get a good view of the construction site themselves.

Detail shot of the recently applied finish surfaces on the new Cancer Center as of today. The green frosted glass reminds me of the glazing on the Fred Meijer Heart Center across the street. The stone veneer looks a little too suburban to me. But this building is far from finish so I'm holding off final judgment for now.

cancercenter081407amq1.jpg

Shot with DSC-P200 at 2007-08-16

1149952994_e136ad5800_b.jpg

Not to stray off topic, but I always have a hard time visualizing how enormous River House is going to be. This photo is the first one I have seen where I can really get a sense of this future monster (in a good way). This part of the 196 corridor is going to be very impressive when construction is complete on all of these buildings!

Hey Dad, I have a request. Could you possibly use your skills and draw in an outline for the rest of R.H. and post it in the R.H. thread?

Cool, I didn't realize there would be one with this project since it seems so long, but not that tall.

On another note, why would they password protect the VAI webcams? I enjoyed watching the progress that way and I thought the purpose of those cams were to show it off to the general population who can't get a good view of the construction site themselves.

Liability. VAI runs a tight ship and it doesn't surprise me at all that they'd password protect the cams.

Liability. VAI runs a tight ship and it doesn't surprise me at all that they'd password protect the cams.

Liability for what? I'm more inclined to think that they weren't anticipating that the general public would get the link, and ran into bandwidth issues.

Edited by sparky05

Liability for what? I'm more inclined to think that they weren't anticipating that the general public would get the link, and ran into bandwidth issues.

I agree, bandwidth was probably the driving factor. However, a continuous stream of images provides a lot of information which could be used for any number of reasons not benefitting VAI - i.e serious accidents on the construction site, extended general conditions claims, etc. However, if it's only broadcast within their organization, they not only control who has access but what those with access can do with the images. Deep pockets = tight control.

I drove by last night and it looks about the same as the last pictures except the hole is deeper and more concrete has been poured. The Lutheran school looks like it's dangling awfully close to the edge with two huge beams wedged at a 45 degree angle for extra stability. I'm sure it is 100% the way it should be done, but I laughed when I looked at it because it looks like something I'd do when I'm building stuff. Start working, think about the consequences later. :)

If VAI 1 is any measurement, this building will go very slowly. I remember it always drove me nuts as it didn't look like it was ever going to get finished.

Joe

Is VAI I going to be connected somehow to VAI II without going outside? I can't tell by the renderings if the buildings are touching.

This site plan shows where the two phases connect in the center. The light gray is the new phase, and the dark gray is the current phase.

472367432_f633399968_o.jpg

And looking at the new South end of the building:

472367444_098e030ca5.jpg

Rizzo, I just saw the new ad for VAI last night and it's pretty good. :thumbsup:

And looking at the new South end of the building:

472367444_098e030ca5.jpg

Rizzo, I just saw the new ad for VAI last night and it's pretty good. :thumbsup:

For some reason the South end seems allot different than in earlier renderings. I thought there was at least some open space between the two Phases. But it appears the whole complex is going to be one solid building. Maybe it just looks solid because I'm looking at a 2D elevation drawing.

For some reason the South end seems allot different than in earlier renderings. I thought there was at least some open space between the two Phases. But it appears the whole complex is going to be one solid building. Maybe it just looks solid because I'm looking at a 2D elevation drawing.

As I understand it, you are correct in saying the result will be one massive building... not two separate buildings