Medical Mile/Michigan Street Developments

joeDowntown

MSU medical school's cost rises by $20 Million

...to $90 Million total. Sounds like they are trying to trim costs now, but local fundraisers including Grand Action and Peter Secchia don't think it will be a big deal to overcome. Some interesting tidbits:

"It's a solid go," MSU board member Nugent said. "The stake has been put in the sand, the clock is running, the timetable has been set, and we're going to meet it. It's just too important and too significant a program for the people of Grand Rapids, and for all of West Michigan."

...Simon and others also attributed some cost increase to beautifying the parking decks that serve as the building base. Sweet! :shades:

Peter Secchia, said he has seen the most recent blueprints for Secchia Center. He called them "spectacular."

And this from the timeline:

Fall 2013: Expansion is complete, with 800 students.

Wow, I was expecting maybe 400 - 500 at the most. 800 would be astounding!

The new designs to be unveiled in October.

Start mid October at 224', jump approx. 60' and then another 60'.

I did not know I should have been more secretive about UP. :thumbsup:

I was going to say "KIAS", but I think that one's been done to death. :P

Thanks for the height clarifications. A 344' crane on that hill is going to be quite the sight!

I'm not exactly sure what is considered Bostwick Ave... but I scaled the elevation you had up there from the 'base' (I think it says Floor 1) to the top of the building to 207' then the top of the Spire is at about 287'-6".... Thats assuming I did the first scaling correctly.

On an interesting note- I scaled the length of the spire... base to top on the angle and its around 345' in length! too bad its not straight :thumbsup:

Edited by jbr12

I'm not exactly sure what is considered Bostwick Ave... but I scaled the elevation you had up there from the 'base' (I think it says Floor 1) to the top of the building to 207' then the top of the Spire is at about 287'-6".... Thats assuming I did the first scaling correctly.

On an interesting note- I scaled the length of the spire... base to top on the angle and its around 345' in length! too bad its not straight :thumbsup:

So the hospital will be almost exactly the same vertical height as the courthouse, and the spire will be a little bit taller than Bridgewater Place. Add to that the approximately 137' difference in elevation from base of River House to Coit Street and the spire might be the highest object in GR (137+287=424' vs. River House's 406'). Not that it really matters, but still interesting nonetheless.

MSU medical school's cost rises by $20 Million

...to $90 Million total. Sounds like they are trying to trim costs now, but local fundraisers including Grand Action and Peter Secchia don't think it will be a big deal to overcome. Some interesting tidbits:

"It's a solid go," MSU board member Nugent said. "The stake has been put in the sand, the clock is running, the timetable has been set, and we're going to meet it. It's just too important and too significant a program for the people of Grand Rapids, and for all of West Michigan."

...Simon and others also attributed some cost increase to beautifying the parking decks that serve as the building base. Sweet! :shades:

Peter Secchia, said he has seen the most recent blueprints for Secchia Center. He called them "spectacular."

And this from the timeline:

Fall 2013: Expansion is complete, with 800 students.

Wow, I was expecting maybe 400 - 500 at the most. 800 would be astounding!

The new designs to be unveiled in October.

I think the 800 student number is spread between the East Lansing and Grand Rapids campuses.

The red stands out as much in person as it does in these photos.

I got the "scoop" today on "big red". It's the first locally owned tower crane at least for a long time according to the local manager. The longitudinal piece is 267 feet long and can pick up 6800 lbs with the hook at the far tip. I think he said it currently is 205 feet high with more sections still in their yard. It's also unique in the big concrete base is removable. All the other ones in town have poured a concrete base and left it in place. The church said you can build your base in our parking lot but have to take it with you when your done. The cost to remove was $$$$$. "Big red" had the option of and is using precast concrete blocks that can be removed and reused when the project is finished.

Aren't they going to redo that Lutheran School? I thought I saw a Design Plus rendering at one time.

Joe

That's probably why they have to take "big red's" base with them when VAI II is finished. so that it won't impede the church's expansion plans.

Thanks for the info RDD! That answers a lot of questions. :thumbsup: