Medical Mile/Michigan Street Developments

joeDowntown

Not to get off subject too much, but what ever happened to the rumor of Shelly Padnos donating that land to GVSU to build a new football stadium? That rumor was floating around about a year ago.

It was this summer we were discussing that rumor :) SuperNOVA brought it up in this thread here.

/back to the topic at hand

FYI...The MSU College of Human Medicine is holding a press conference in Grand Rapids tomorrow, making a major announcement about the Grand Rapids expansion. I wish I could tell you more, but I'm just a little guy working in the Dean's office who they dont give details to. I'll let you know more if i find out.

FYI...The MSU College of Human Medicine is holding a press conference in Grand Rapids tomorrow, making a major announcement about the Grand Rapids expansion. I wish I could tell you more, but I'm just a little guy working in the Dean's office who they dont give details to. I'll let you know more if i find out.

Thanks for the update statedude. I imagine the press conference is going to positive, if not BIG. Especially when I did a search and stumbled on this website :huh:

Grand Rapids Medical Education and Research Center

with an entire section dedicated to the MSU - CHM GR Campus

I haven't seen any mention on the local newswires yet. We'll have to keep an eye out.

Edited by GRDadof3

Thanks for the update statedude. I imagine the press conference is going to positive, if not BIG. Especially when I did a search and stumbled on this website :huh:

Grand Rapids Medical Education and Research Center

with an entire section dedicated to the MSU - CHM GR Campus

I haven't seen any mention on the local newswires yet. We'll have to keep an eye out.

There was a brief mention on the local radio news @ 12:00. They just said that reps from the school, VAI, and "neighborhood" business groups will be there.

Which neighborhood was not given. Hmmmmm :whistling:

Edited by GR_Urbanist

There was a brief mention on the local radio news @ 12:00. They just said that reps from the school, VAI, and "neighborhood" business groups will be there.

Which neighborhood was not given. Hmmmmm :whistling:

Thanks Urbanist! That's just what I was looking for:

MSU Medical School Update

The key players involved in negotiating a deal with the Michigan State University College of Human Medicine are planning a project update Wednesday. All of the big names in this project are coming: MSU President Lou Anna Simon, GVSU President Mark Murray, the chairmen and presidents of Spectrum Health, Van Andel Institute, The Right Place, and a local business group. It's being called an "update on and framework for the MSU West Michigan Medical School Project". For nearly a year, these "stakeholders" have been engaged in in-depth discussions to determine the feasibility of building a medical school in West Michigan. Denise Holmes, Assistant Dean of Governmental Affairs with the MSU College of Human Medicine, says they have been meeting for 11 months with people in Grand Rapids. They have gone through a process of engaging many people in work groups. Holmes says any discussion about medical schools involves how a community sets up the faculty practice plan, developing the faculty necessary to teach the curriculum, and what resources and partnerships are needed.

WOOD1300

http://www.woodradio.com/news/

I have a feeling it is going to be good news. Although it will take many years to make it happen, it will be an incredible investment for area.

Edited by GRDadof3

I have to imagine that MSU will land on the parking lot east of GVSU. I can't imagine them venturing too far away from VAI and Spectrum. I also heard Davenport was quietly selling off property around their campus. With a face lift, Davenport's downtown campus would be a perfect locale (although it would definitely be landlocked).

Joe

Gotta believe it is going to happen somewhere on Michigan hill, anywhere else would take it away from the synergy that is being created by Spectrum. Davenport College would be a shame, because if you didn't know it was there, you would pass right by without seeing it. MSU needs a landmark building to announce to the world that it has arrived.

Gotta believe it is going to happen somewhere on Michigan hill, anywhere else would take it away from the synergy that is being created by Spectrum. Davenport College would be a shame, because if you didn't know it was there, you would pass right by without seeing it. MSU needs a landmark building to announce to the world that it has arrived.

I don't know if we'll see actual "building plans" like we all like to see, but it sounds like they are going to give a structured outline and a better idea of a timeline today. That's great considering that earlier this year it sounded like the whole idea might die due to the sheer costs.

I don't know if we'll see actual "building plans" like we all like to see, but it sounds like they are going to give a structured outline and a better idea of a timeline today. That's great considering that earlier this year it sounded like the whole idea might die due to the sheer costs.

Do we know when the press conference is?

I was particularly geeked by these two paragraphs:

"A consultant's study last year concluded a medical school here with the same basic structure as what is being proposed could generate up to 2,800 jobs and more than $1.5 billion in economic activity."

"The most visible part of the plan would be a $60 million to $70 million building downtown. A likely site: Michigan Street's burgeoning health corridor."

Although it's sounding more likely that it will land in the RDV/Christman complex, it would be awesome to get the new med school built in ADDITION to the RDV project.

It looks like the MSU group had the press conference this morning so they could get back to Lansing to talk it over with the Lansing Chamber of Commerce:

http://newsroom.msu.edu/site/indexer/2577/content.htm

I was particularly geeked by these two paragraphs:

"A consultant's study last year concluded a medical school here with the same basic structure as what is being proposed could generate up to 2,800 jobs and more than $1.5 billion in economic activity."

2,800 jobs is an exciting number. I wondered what the time frame is for the $1.5B in economic activity.

Although it's sounding more likely that it will land in the RDV/Christman complex, it would be awesome to get the new med school built in ADDITION to the RDV project.

I was under the impression that St. Mary objected to that site because it's across the street from Spectrum. Did anyone else hear anything similar or am I making this up?

2,800 jobs is an exciting number. I wondered what the time frame is for the $1.5B in economic activity.

I was under the impression that St. Mary objected to that site because it's across the street from Spectrum. Did anyone else hear anything similar or am I making this up?

No your right, which is why St. Mary's suggested that MSU moves into the old Davenport campus.