Medical Mile/Michigan Street Developments

joeDowntown

I was just going to post it YankeeFan. :)

Much better. Look at how much better the parking levels look. Plus, I like that the big fat "S" is gone. :) It would have been nice to have a bit more glass, but that doesn't seem to be the trend in medical teaching buildings.

I like the new look better, too -- although, I like the big fat "S". :P

Never been a State fan. However, being that they are investing in our area, maybe I need to invest in some of their gear to show appreciation.

From their website:

For high-resolution renderings of the Secchia Center, visit:

http://special.newsroom.msu.edu/newsroom_i...SECCHIA_Day.jpg,

http://special.newsroom.msu.edu/newsroom_i...CCHIA_Entry.jpg,

http://special.newsroom.msu.edu/newsroom_i...CCHIA_night.jpg

Edited by Yankee Fan

MSUguy.jpg

The med school uses this graphic on their website. No joke.

One of those lawn inflatable Spartan blow-ups is for sale in the Goodwill on Division. (This is the one apparently designed by the Barbie team. He/it wears a short skirt over a flesh-toned body. Pretty amusing to be walking beneath; Fred's folks tended to display them atop the freezers above the endcaps in the Lansing-area stores.)

Someone (one of you spartan lovers) needs to go get it, make it a labcoat, and install it at the referenced site.

MSUguy.jpg

The med school uses this graphic on their website. No joke.

One of those lawn inflatable Spartan blow-ups is for sale in the Goodwill on Division. (This is the one apparently designed by the Barbie team. He/it wears a short skirt over a flesh-toned body. Pretty amusing to be walking beneath; Fred's folks tended to display them atop the freezers above the endcaps in the Lansing-area stores.)

Someone (one of you spartan lovers) needs to go get it, make it a labcoat, and install it at the referenced site.

Ha, that would be funny. Have him holding a pole with a UP flag too.

Thanks YankeeFan for the links.

1760089971_9db619857e_b.jpg

It's good to see the other angle:

1760943768_36efeb2e1a_b.jpg

This entrance turnaround faces the medical complex to the East:

1760097107_7330bf08c0_b.jpg

1760306131_720e8476ee_o.jpg

Very nice! A real addition to downtown. Kudos to State. (And that ugly "S" definitely had to go.)

So saith LA Dave, University of Michigan A.B., J.D. :)

(I don't think our Med school has a wolverine as its logo. On the other hand, I'm not sure that anyone knows what a wolverine looks like. Sort of like a badger from hell, I guess.)

being so far away i'm happy when either Michigan, or Michigan State wins. I cheer them both on. Tho, I do bleed maize and blue ( long family tradition of attending). I have no qualms with East Lansing, the fact that Michigan State has a higher academic rating than Ohio State gives me a little tingly sensation of pleasure anyway.

Love the renderings, when do they start construction?

being so far away i'm happy when either Michigan, or Michigan State wins. I cheer them both on. Tho, I do bleed maize and blue ( long family tradition of attending). I have no qualms with East Lansing, the fact that Michigan State has a higher academic rating than Ohio State gives me a little tingly sensation of pleasure anyway.

Love the renderings, when do they start construction?

I grew up a huge Spartan fan (it was the first and just about only college campus that I visited as a kid) and didn't even consider U-M until high school. I still remember working as a Boy Scout usher at Spartan Stadium during the "Kill, Bubba, Kill!" days. Boy, that was a team.

Ok, I'll agree making the exterior all green, even partially green would have been tacky, but whatever is ugly or inappropriate about the block letter "S"? As long as the scale is suitable, it's beautiful and makes a statement (a Michigan State-ment?).

And yes, I'm an MSU alumni, but also have a grad degree from Michigan. So I'm not totally "green".

Yeah, not even on sidewalks...just right down the road. =)

I was thinking the same thing. Maybe they plan to remove all of the pavement markings, street signs, traffic signals, guard rails, and the sides of the Michigan St bridge??? ^_^

Does anyone know if this building will be "green" from an environmental point of view?

I think the only thing that will be really green about this building is the grass slope next to it and the MSU signage.

I think the new design is okay - the only thing I liked about the old rendering was all the glass - kinda separated itself from the other tower buildings - now it just looks like they're in sync with the rest of the buildings - but I guess the roof is the only thing that stands itself out.

I dunno - I have mixed feelings about it - and what's up with the windows with little concrete stubs sticking out in between them - I don't care for that.

I think it's one of those buildings where I could still see improvements - but I'm ok with it at the same time.

what's up with the windows with little concrete stubs sticking out in between them - I don't care for that.

Those little black triangle things? I thought the same thing. But I've come to accept that I'm not a good visual/spatial person and buildings always look better to me in person than in renderings, so I'll wait and see.

You can see them a little bit better in the largest version. The black is just a shadow being cast by the outcroppings. My guess is they are there to add "depth" to the facade, so it's not just a plain flat surface.

1760089971_13cbd7c78b_o.jpg

I seem to remember someone here saying they were going to pursue LEED Certification, which is one reason they had the highly-reflective glass before. Apparently it's harder to meet the HVAC requirements for LEED on a very transparent glass facade. :dontknow:

Ok, I'll agree making the exterior all green, even partially green would have been tacky, but whatever is ugly or inappropriate about the block letter "S"? As long as the scale is suitable, it's beautiful and makes a statement (a Michigan State-ment?).

And yes, I'm an MSU alumni, but also have a grad degree from Michigan. So I'm not totally "green".

I thought the S was for Secchia? I could've sworn I've heard people refer to him as a giant S??? Personally, I've always thought he was a pretty funny guy.