Medical Mile/Michigan Street Developments

joeDowntown

Just use your jetpack.

Right, I forgot.

Second stack of concrete support towers going up on VAI II:

2202433972_9420c20aae_b.jpg

And steel!

2201644879_297a8c2f2b_b.jpg

If anyone sees a face laying in the park there, it's probably mine. I swear mine fell off from the biting cold wind blowing in my face up there on the hill.

Moving on.

Louvers on the Michigan Street Development parking ramp. Lovely.

2202431732_2edba68ff5_b.jpg

Children's Hospital Tetris:

2202430174_ed4d60d55b_b.jpg

2202431096_242fefe8e8_b.jpg

According to the nice gentleman serving as crossing guard, this floor was just poured this morning with the help of heating blankets:

2201642889_4c3aeeaa1e_b.jpg

File Cabinet 1 shaping up:

2202428460_2e9c712b38_b.jpg

2201637461_c33f003fd3_b.jpg

Go dad! Hope someone finds your face soon! ;)

I told him he should go to Bill and Paul's and get one of these:

http://shop.billandpauls.com/istar.asp?a=6&id=EX!PSO

I rode my bike for the two miles home from work today and my face and ears were still toasty warm, and the heat exchanging breathing cartridge warmed the 7F air so my throat and lungs were fine.

In fact, properly dressed, the only thing that made me chilly was the fact that I need a pair of ski goggles. (Edit: Well, the fact I was riding east instead of west probably played a role as well)

Edited by fotoman311

I told him he should go to Bill and Paul's and get one of these:

http://shop.billandpauls.com/istar.asp?a=6&id=EX!PSO

I rode my bike for the two miles home from work today and my face and ears were still toasty warm, and the heat exchanging breathing cartridge warmed the 7F air so my throat and lungs were fine.

In fact, properly dressed, the only thing that made me chilly was the fact that I need a pair of ski goggles. (Edit: Well, the fact I was riding east instead of west probably played a role as well)

That link says the item is no longer available (?).

In related news about Medical Mile:

ClinXus joins FDA - Pharma Consortium

The consortium is made up of five of the largest pharma companies in the U.S., and gives ClinXus some exposure.

PSTC Details

That link says the item is no longer available (?).

In related news about Medical Mile:

ClinXus joins FDA - Pharma Consortium

The consortium is made up of five of the largest pharma companies in the U.S., and gives ClinXus some exposure.

PSTC Details

That's because for some reason UP is replacing the ! in the url with "& #33;".

This link should work for the mask.

Edited by fotoman311

The first LHCP linear accelerator was dropped off last week and installation is in progress. The other 3 are coming throughout the next few weeks and the HDR unit was dropped off last week as well.

Nice one Cap'n!

According to MiBiz today, the new Children's Hospital will go for LEED Certification, including a green roof. Way to go! We can expect to see construction of three levels of the "base" before the tower is started.

http://www.mibiz.com/healthcare.asp#1

File Cabinet 1.. I just noticed that. How appropriate! :lol:

I think it was LADave who coined that phrase. :)

In a press release today by the Center for Molecular Medicine, it states:

In addition to increasing its staff size to a total of eight, the CMM has also recently doubled its laboratory space from ~1,600 square feet to ~3,300 square feet on the top floor of the GVSU Cook-DeVos Center for Health Studies in downtown Grand Rapids. The CMM is now the largest tenant in the building.

Article link

(the title is wrong, but it's the right article)

Rapidgrowthmedia is reporting that groundbreaking (or rather re-groundbreaking) on the Secchia Center will begin in April. The design:

"Designers created the 180,000-square-foot facility with hundreds of classroom configurations to accommodate intimate study areas for the 350 students. The facility also includes several lecture auditoriums. Indoor-outdoor spaces include a main floor terrace (which is six stories up) on the building's southeast side overlooking the city, and a four-story glass atrium on the west side overlooking the Grand River."

I'm excited to see this thing rise and the influx of 350 students + Professors. I'm kind of suprised no student housing has been proposed East of this development.

Full Article: http://rapidgrowthmedia.com/developmentnews/Secchia0124.aspx

I think it was LADave who coined that phrase. :)

In a press release today by the Center for Molecular Medicine, it states:

In addition to increasing its staff size to a total of eight, the CMM has also recently doubled its laboratory space from ~1,600 square feet to ~3,300 square feet on the top floor of the GVSU Cook-DeVos Center for Health Studies in downtown Grand Rapids. The CMM is now the largest tenant in the building.

Article link

(the title is wrong, but it's the right article)

I wish -- but twasn't moi.

More expansion news for GR's fledgling biotech industry:

Collaboration Sparks Creation of New Grand Rapids Laboratory Focused on Women's Health

GVSU, WMSTI, Spectrum Health and MSU College of Human Medicine announce

cooperative laboratory agreement

GRAND RAPIDS, Mich., Jan. 30 /PRNewswire/ -- Regional leaders in health

care and education today announced the creation of a state-of-the-art

laboratory, to be housed in Grand Valley State University's Cook-DeVos

Center for Health Sciences, that will bring new cutting-edge women's health

research to downtown Grand Rapids.

The lab is a joint effort of Grand Valley State University (GVSU),

Michigan State University's College of Human Medicine, the West Michigan

Science & Technology Initiative (WMSTI) and Spectrum Health. Work is

expected to commence by mid February.

More details here at PR Newswire

This is great. I wonder if there are any plans in the works for additional lab space. I would have to imagine that GVSU only has so much room available before being tapped out. It'd be cool to see an independent development that leases lab space.

Joe

Avalon Gets A Boost

Anne Bond Emrich

Published: February 4, 2008

GRAND RAPIDS

This is great. I wonder if there are any plans in the works for additional lab space. I would have to imagine that GVSU only has so much room available before being tapped out. It'd be cool to see an independent development that leases lab space.

Joe

Me too. With the very recent news of Avalon Labs' expansion, CMM's expansion, and the new Women's Health lab collaboration, I have to think that building will finally be filling up.

I was also thinking that with all the healthcare expansion on the hill, it would seem like there would be a need for a couple of new data centers to handle all that computing going on. Might we see the area's first "Green Data Center" in Grand Rapids?

http://blogs.business2.com/greenwombat/200...reens-the-.html

I was researching it and stumbled on this incredible adaptive reuse in Barcelona for a new Supercomputer:

barcelona-supercomputer.jpg

http://storagemojo.com/2007/09/01/worlds-m...-supercomputer/

Not green, but still awesome.

Me too. With the very recent news of Avalon Labs' expansion, CMM's expansion, and the new Women's Health lab collaboration, I have to think that building will finally be filling up.

I was also thinking that with all the healthcare expansion on the hill, it would seem like there would be a need for a couple of new data centers to handle all that computing going on. Might we see the area's first "Green Data Center" in Grand Rapids?

http://blogs.business2.com/greenwombat/200...reens-the-.html

I was researching it and stumbled on this incredible adaptive reuse in Barcelona for a new Supercomputer:

barcelona-supercomputer.jpg

http://storagemojo.com/2007/09/01/worlds-m...-supercomputer/

Spectrum Health partnered with IBM to build a state of the art data center out on 60th street connected to the old Steelcase Workstage building, which is now where 99% of Spectrum's IT personnel are located.

They are controlling a lot (read:most) of the data for the various entities on Pill Hill. They are also in talks with the new medical school about doing the same for them.

Spectrum is also building out a second big data center as part of the Blodgett campus expansion.

Edited by Yankee Fan

According to today's Grand Rapids Business Journal, the developers of Medical Mile's Midtowne Village development have selected HYATT PLACE as the operator for the hotel being planned for the site. A name like Hyatt added into the mix of "Greater Downtown Area" hotels is going to create some good synergy and a little added panache to the city's offerings.

JW Marriott Grand Rapids

Amway Grand Plaza Hotel

Courtyard by Marriott at Plaza Towers

Days Hotel Grand Rapids

Residence Inn by Marriott at Michigan Street Medical Center

Hyatt Place at Midtowne Village

North Monroe Hotel

Raddison Riverfront Hotel

Good show! :thumbsup:

Edited by metrogrkid

According to today's Grand Rapids Business Journal, the developers of Medical Mile's Midtowne Village development have selected HYATT PLACE as the operator for the hotel being planned for the site. A name like Hyatt added into the mix of "Greater Downtown Area" hotels is going to create some good synergy and a little added panache to the city's offerings.

JW Marriott Grand Rapids

Amway Grand Plaza Hotel

Courtyard by Marriott at Plaza Towers

Days Hotel Grand Rapids

Residence Inn by Marriott at Michigan Street Medical Center

Hyatt Place at Midtowne Village

North Monroe Hotel

Raddison Riverfront Hotel

Good show! :thumbsup:

Already covered at length HERE metrogrkid. :thumbsup:

Thanks for the update YankeeFan. I guess I'm a day late and a dollar short (again).

Spectrum Health partnered with IBM to build a state of the art data center out on 60th street connected to the old Steelcase Workstage building, which is now where 99% of Spectrum's IT personnel are located.

Fun facts about the SH-IT (note the careful use of the hyphen) building:

-Fields 11,000 calls per month

-Supports >1,200 applications

-Average support call 12 min, average password reset 2 min (industry average 15min)

-The "guts" of the building, as it were, are housed in a plane-crash-proof concrete bunker.

2242166685_94b0730c8e.jpg

:ph34r:

I have a friend that works there. I always pictured a bunker. Didn't realize she worked in such a cool building. Impressive!

On the topic of Lab Space, are there any developments downtown that offer labspace (besides the hospitals, VAI and GVSU)? I remember looking in Muller Realty's window a couple of years ago and they were trying to build a building with "wet lab" space.

Joe

I have a friend that works there. I always pictured a bunker. Didn't realize she worked in such a cool building. Impressive!

Joe

The Spectrum IT that is pictured is next to the bunker. The bunker has the main computer in it and was designed to with stand hurricane force winds, trucks smashing into the building and that type pf stuff. For a concrete bunker it is pretty impressive.