Medical Mile/Michigan Street Developments

joeDowntown

Yeah, only post processed though. I built the streetcars in CAD software and rendered to the camera angle.

Well I'm even more impressed! I couldn't tell from the picture size that those streetcars weren't really. I assumed you grabbed them from another photo and stuck them in that one. Is 3D modeling in your line of work, or did you just learn it as a hobby?

The "ground-breaking" involved the placing of steel, rather than digging a hole.

Thanks, I was wondering what they did. I'm surprised no one from UP was there taking pictures. This seems like another project that created a lot of excitement and yet now seems to get very little attention here.

Well I'm even more impressed! I couldn't tell from the picture size that those streetcars weren't really. I assumed you grabbed them from another photo and stuck them in that one. Is 3D modeling in your line of work, or did you just learn it as a hobby?

Thanks, I was wondering what they did. I'm surprised no one from UP was there taking pictures. This seems like another project that created a lot of excitement and yet now seems to get very little attention here.

My schedule is getting pretty booked, but I did catch the assembly of the tower crane (way better than a bunch of old cronies patting themselves on the back) :)

2303207892_c902622b88_b.jpg

Also, in regard to the LHCP glass wall, here is the original rendering where it sorta shows up:

363996927_04c42421f1_o.jpg

http://newsroom.msu.edu/site/indexer/3389/content.htm

they had the MSU Secchia Center groundbreaking today. Go State!

Hard as it is for this die-hard Wolverine to say it, I agree. The medical school is a great addition to Pill Hill and will bring a number of highly educated (and to-be highly educated) new residents into GR. The Medical Mile is a great example of how the Great Lakes states can diversify from their old manufacturing base. And, the news about MPI in Kalamazoo is also fantastic.

The future for cities like GR and Kalamazoo is increasingly in the kind of high-tech, high-education facilities that are being built on Michigan Street. I only hope that the state recognizes that and does not cheat its education and higher education system in an effort to try to remain a manufacturing hub.

I took two years of architectural and engineering drafting courses way back. I didn't go anywhere with it professionally.

And to get back on track, anyone catch the expos

Edited by Rizzo

I could be wrong, but isn't the shaded area the atrium inside the building? If it is maybe there is a color difference to help heat or cool the large open space in the atrium. Or to limit or let more sunlight in.

That's basically correct. It's a frosted glass in lieu of the spandrel glass to let more light into the atrium. In my opinion, instead of frosted glass they should have gone with the same tinted vision glass used on the rest of the building, but the heat transfer may have been too extreme for the LEED-compliant HVAC system...

That's basically correct. It's a frosted glass in lieu of the spandrel glass to let more light into the atrium. In my opinion, instead of frosted glass they should have gone with the same tinted vision glass used on the rest of the building, but the heat transfer may have been too extreme for the LEED-compliant HVAC system...

I was looking at the building earlier today, and I noticed that above the section of darker glass, there is an extra band of clear glass that further makes that part of the front different from the rest of the building, which leads me to beleive that the change in color was intentional. Either because they wanted it to be that color on purpose, or because they had to use a different type of glass whose color may have been impossible to match and so they integrated it into the whole in as asthetically pleasing a way as possible.

Spectrum Health is announcing a new logo/"corporate identity."

Current:

2453779471_cfc55f4807.jpg

New:

2453779475_11da1ff647.jpg

Current LHCP signage:

2453781073_5dc4fc74bf.jpg

New signage:

2453779483_99985d6176.jpg

Formal announcement to come tomorrow - you heard it herer first! Buildings, wayfinding signs, & other "big" signs will change first. The rest of the stuff will change over the next year. Some current logoed items will even be auctioned off. Seems like it would have been prudent to decide this before installing brand-new signs on the brand-new cancer pavilion but....

Ummm, what are they gonna do with this?? (Healing Gardens at Blodgett campus)

2203446040076271169S600x600Q85.jpg

Current:

New:

]

Formal announcement to come tomorrow - you heard it herer first! Buildings, wayfinding signs, & other "big" signs will change first. The rest of the stuff will change over the next year. Some current logoed items will even be auctioned off. Seems like it would have been prudent to decide this before installing brand-new signs on the brand-new cancer pavilion but....

Wow, it must be nice to have money to spend on brand new building signs and then replace them before the building is even finished. I also really don't understand it, the current signage on Lemmen-Holton doesn't even have the old logo. Couldn't they still use the signs they already have up? Instead of replacing them with a slightly smaller sign the same color but with lower case letters?

edit: I can't remember, do those new wayfinding signs they just put up two weeks ago have the spectrum logo anywhere on them?

Edited by Eridony

edit: I can't remember, do those new wayfinding signs they just put up two weeks ago have the spectrum logo anywhere on them?

I don't think they do. But I'm not positive, I'm not the most visual-spatial kind of guy. :dontknow: For the most part they have a lot of blank space on the bottoms - perhaps this was left blank for the future logo? (Tiny picture on Knape's blog.)

Current:

New:

Current LHCP signage:

2453781073_5dc4fc74bf.jpg

New signage:

2453779483_99985d6176.jpg

Those first set of letters (the current signage) looks like a standard set of fonts, maybe even purchased off the shelf from a sign maker. The new lettering looks a little more custom. I'm guessing they bought the first set just in case the new font and logo weren't ready for the Grand Opening.

Those first set of letters (the current signage) looks like a standard set of fonts, maybe even purchased off the shelf from a sign maker. The new lettering looks a little more custom. I'm guessing they bought the first set just in case the new font and logo weren't ready for the Grand Opening.

So can anyone come up with a good word jumble for Lemmon-Holton Cancer Pavilion? (seems like there's a special name for that that I can't come up with) Any puzzle addicts out there? :)

Edited by fotoman311

So can anyone come up with a good word jumble for Lemmon-Holton Cancer Pavilion? (seems like there's a special name for that that I can't come up with) Any puzzle addicts out there? :)

A non-menthol vaccine pill room? ;)

Wow, it must be nice to have money to spend on brand new building signs and then replace them before the building is even finished.

I have been told that the vp of marketing at Spectrum is a... shall we say... unique personality. Not exactly the sort whose staff are filling out "boss of the year" ballots for - if you know what I mean. The example I was given was that if you could review the employment want ads for the last five years or so, you'd find at least one open marketing position at Spectrum (and often more) every month.

Just for shots and goggles I searched today's mlive postings and there are several marketing jobs at Spectrum open right now. Maybe the department is expanding? I can't imagine an organization of that caliber wouldn't have some sort of red flag go off in HR if one manager couldn't keep their department fully staffed. The hiring and training costs would eventually add up. Not to mention, important details get missed when the staff is in turmoil, you know, like investments in signage that is outdated almost before it is installed. :dontknow:

That being said, I like the new logo. It's a little more hip and modern. It makes the old one really look outdated and not of the stature you'd want associated with a state-of-the-art regional medical facility.

New typeface is Whitney. Old was a mix of Minion and Syntax.

I have been told that the vp of marketing at Spectrum is a... shall we say... unique personality. Not exactly the sort whose staff are filling out "boss of the year" ballots for - if you know what I mean. The example I was given was that if you could review the employment want ads for the last five years or so, you'd find at least one open marketing position at Spectrum (and often more) every month.

Just for shots and goggles I searched today's mlive postings and there are several marketing jobs at Spectrum open right now. Maybe the department is expanding? I can't imagine an organization of that caliber wouldn't have some sort of red flag go off in HR if one manager couldn't keep their department fully staffed. The hiring and training costs would eventually add up. Not to mention, important details get missed when the staff is in turmoil, you know, like investments in signage that is outdated almost before it is installed. :dontknow:

That being said, I like the new logo. It's a little more hip and modern. It makes the old one really look outdated and not of the stature you'd want associated with a state-of-the-art regional medical facility.

Ha ha, that may shed some light on this decision!

I like the new logo well enough, I just thought it was asinine to replace a bran new sign already, especially since the current sign doesn't include the logo. It seems like the could find a spot to put the new logo that wouldn't look out of place but would also allow them to use the signs already on the building.

Also, unrelated to new logos, here is a recent picture of VAI Phase II

2452227109_5246fde3a7_b.jpg

Edited by Eridony