Medical Mile/Michigan Street Developments

joeDowntown

Peeking through the windows. Is this place supposed to be completely finished by June 30th?

I would have to dig up the floorplans again to confirm it, but it seems like there were some spaces on the east end that were labeled for future expansion or something else that wouldn't be completely built out by th opening date. Notice that the areas with exit signs must be close to completion.

Okay, I found the floorplans, but the text is too small to read. But those all of those areas with unfinished ceilings in that picture definitely are empty space and probably will be left unfinished.

edit: Someone obviosly already got to it before me. That's what happens when you take 5 minutes to look up something on this forum.

Edited by andrew69@ltu

It is completely finished but there are a handful of shelled unleased spaces throughout the building - i.e 2nd, 3rd, 5th, 6th floor NE corners.

I would have to dig up the floorplans again to confirm it, but it seems like there were some spaces on the east end that were labeled for future expansion or something else that wouldn't be completely built out by th opening date. Notice that the areas with exit signs must be close to completion.

Okay, I found the floorplans, but the text is too small to read. But those all of those areas with unfinished ceilings in that picture definitely are empty space and probably will be left unfinished.

edit: Someone obviosly already got to it before me. That's what happens when you take 5 minutes to look up something on this forum.

I didn't realize there was unleased/ future expansion spaces in the building. Thanks for answering my question, both of you :)

Captain Planet: Thanks for the interior shots, so many of these buildings I take pictures of I've never been inside of and, when it comes to this one, hopefully never will. Unless some public event or something is going on there.

Andrew: The red lights of all those exit signs are what made me take that picture originally. It was strange to see the area of the building that was dark except for a red glow.

Edited by Eridony

I heard from someone at Spectrum-Butterworth the the LMCP had bike commuter shower facilities to earn some LEED points. He was going to look into whether those facilities would be open to Spectrum employees as well. Sounds kind of cool. I hope they are well promoted and used.

Nothing like being active to fight off cancer risks! :)

Great pics Cap'n Planet! :)

BTW: Did anyone else notice that the Children's Hospital tower is going vertical?! :yahoo: No steel yet, but the elevator cores are rising.

Oh yes I've noticed. I drive past there everyday and it's on my list of things to get pictures of next chance I get.

I got a short tour of the LHCP today, and it is absolutely incredible inside. Tomorrow is an opening event for invited guests and Spectrum employees. I believe there is also a community open house this Sunday the 22nd from 1-5pm.

It's definitely worth checking out! :w00t:

I heard from someone at Spectrum-Butterworth the the LMCP had bike commuter shower facilities to earn some LEED points. He was going to look into whether those facilities would be open to Spectrum employees as well.

Selected LEED Features

a.
High-efficiency LED-based lighting in exterior building signs, exam room lights manufactured by Skytron

Nice pics Eridony. I don't know if you got a chance to look at the site from the West (i.e. Bostwick/VAI) but they've got some wood framework going up now that shows the curve/shape/size of the tower.

Thanks, I did get over to that other side. I made a big loop last night and took these shots first and then about three hours later I took my last pictures from the VAI area. I still need to upload them but these are the better ones because you see the site from above.

Nice pics Eridony. I don't know if you got a chance to look at the site from the West (i.e. Bostwick/VAI) but they've got some wood framework going up now that shows the curve/shape/size of the tower.

Actually, I just noticed MuskeMI that you can make out the footprint in eridony's picture here (sorry I don't have a paint tool available here at work). You can see the curvature at the top right just beyond the elevator core, and then the inverted curve where the passenger drop-off is in the left center of the picture:

2594458285_c15d4a2ee8_b.jpg

Using this as a guide (eridony shooting from the upper right hand corner for those of you playing along at home/office):

2593955296_7a73ff54f3_o.jpg

Actually, I just noticed MuskeMI that you can make out the footprint in eridony's picture here (sorry I don't have a paint tool available here at work). You can see the curvature at the top right just beyond the elevator core, and then the inverted curve where the passenger drop-off is in the left center of the picture:

...and if someone is really interested you can look at the full resolution version here and you can really make out the curve along the entire western side of the tower.

I would crop that section and show it here, but I can't while I'm at work.

Here ya go Eridony. I was able to paint them up a little bit.

2595741592_34111a5750_o.jpg

2594906757_f114ca1138_o.jpg

That tower base looks nice and meaty. :)

Here's one I took the other day. The picture doesn't do it justice as to how awesome the MSU and VAI construction sites look from I-196 driving Eastbound.

2591650106_48e5685c83_b.jpg

I can't remember hearing, with the MSU school going in, is Division thru that area going to be more walkable instead of the dead space it has been for the last 40 years?

I can't answer that with certainty, but my guess would be a big NO! The division level is all just a parking structure entrance and exit. If it is like Spectrum's staff ramp a block East that means there will almost always be people entering and exiting the ramp at all hours which isn't very fun if you're a pedestrian trying to use that sidewalk. I think pedestrian access to the building will be along Michigan Street.

I can't answer that with certainty, but my guess would be a big NO! The division level is all just a parking structure entrance and exit. If it is like Spectrum's staff ramp a block East that means there will almost always be people entering and exiting the ramp at all hours which isn't very fun if you're a pedestrian trying to use that sidewalk. I think pedestrian access to the building will be along Michigan Street.

There are certainly groups that want it to be:

http://www.moblconnects.com/Site/Home.html

The concept drawing is the north stairway from Lookout Park that is currently pretty unusable. I know if Division really looked like that, it would go along ways towards making it more walkable. Plus, if there were a streetcar stop there, even better.