Medical Mile/Michigan Street Developments

joeDowntown

There are certainly groups that want it to be:

http://www.moblconnects.com/Site/Home.html

The concept drawing is the north stairway from Lookout Park that is currently pretty unusable. I know if Division really looked like that, it would go along ways towards making it more walkable. Plus, if there were a streetcar stop there, even better.

Well I would like it to be more walkable as well. I just don't think the MSU medical office complex will help it become that way with that massive ramp exiting and entering right there.

I hadn't seen that concept drawing before. I hope they have a plan to make that image a reality because the one stairway that is still open is in pretty bad shape.

Well I would like it to be more walkable as well. I just don't think the MSU medical office complex will help it become that way with that massive ramp exiting and entering right there.

I hadn't seen that concept drawing before. I hope they have a plan to make that image a reality because the one stairway that is still open is in pretty bad shape.

Well, I don't know how much Steve (bwindi25) is reading these boards these days, but he was one of the people involved in the design charrettes that produced the sketches. I'm not sure how the sketches themselves were funded and last time I talked to him, they still were searching for funding sources because the city doesn't have much money they are spreading around these days.

Got the following in an e-mail from Habitat for Humanity as an opportunity to volunteer:

-Deconstruction of the Towers Medical building at 21 Michigan NE. A great change to pull things apart so that we can recycle, reuse, and generate income at our ReStore. Mon - Fri this week and Mon & Tues of next week, 8 AM - 4 PM. 16 years old and up. Contact [email protected]

Got the following in an e-mail from Habitat for Humanity as an opportunity to volunteer:

-Deconstruction of the Towers Medical building at 21 Michigan NE. A great change to pull things apart so that we can recycle, reuse, and generate income at our ReStore. Mon - Fri this week and Mon & Tues of next week, 8 AM - 4 PM. 16 years old and up. Contact [email protected]

It's a shame about those dates and times :(

Better wear a mask. I think that building is supposed to be full of mold. :sick:

Got to take the sneak peek tour of the LHCP Friday. The place is truly unbelieveable. Makes the Meijer Heart Center or Lack's Cancer Center look like a dump. 6-story atrium is breathtaking. 2 outside gardens plus green roofs pretty much everywhere else. For lack of a better description, holes in the ground near the lobby open up 2-3 floors below into the parking structure and allow light to shine down on the plants in the parking garage. I can't even describe how amazing it is. Great addition to the GR medical community.

On a somewhat-related side note:

The HDVCH has been called a cluster-you-know-what. The architects have been fired, SH's head construction honcho (Bill Reistra or something like that) was canned, and now they're saying the interior was completely mis-calcuated and is much too small. This is all 5th or 6th-hand knowledge but suffice to say that things aren't going according to plan.

The HDVCH has been called a cluster-you-know-what. The architects have been fired, SH's head construction honcho (Bill Reistra or something like that) was canned, and now they're saying the interior was completely mis-calcuated and is much too small. This is all 5th or 6th-hand knowledge but suffice to say that things aren't going according to plan.

Wow, I had no idea. Does that mean we are likely to see a hold in construction while they go back to the drawing board?

No clue. So far no slowing....there's a chance that they could already have a new architect or whatever signed-on already. IIRC, this started as some weird "group" project with 2 architects, one with primarily hospital experience and the other that did a lot of children's musuems (??) or something like that to work together to come up with a new paradigm for children's hospitals. Better idea in concept than execution, however. (A disclaimer that ALL of this is third-hand at best and I no nothing about building/design, but the gist should be right).

No clue. So far no slowing....there's a chance that they could already have a new architect or whatever signed-on already. IIRC, this started as some weird "group" project with 2 architects, one with primarily hospital experience and the other that did a lot of children's musuems (??) or something like that to work together to come up with a new paradigm for children's hospitals. Better idea in concept than execution, however. (A disclaimer that ALL of this is third-hand at best and I no nothing about building/design, but the gist should be right).

One was Rockwell Group, the other was Jonathan Bailey. That's interesting that their designs were non-functional and they were fired. That's how many "international" architects that have been fired from GR projects? Munkenbeck, Vinoly - (well Vinoly was on the brink of being fired until a new arrangement was made apparently), and now these two?.

It seems this project has been pretty fluid. Go look at all the different renderings and concepts up on Bailey's website for the CH. Some of them were pretty interesting, others .... :huh: I wonder if we are going to see a whole different rework of this project? No huge wall of glass or faux cable stay bridge :(

On a somewhat-related side note:

According to sources, a local architecture firm has been hired to replace Jonathan Bailey (architect).

Here's my shot of the new Spectrum entrance steel work:

2613869727_f84d0f0fcb_b.jpg

and more assorted Medical Mile shots:

2614701746_dc8109573a_b.jpg

2613867727_b371ffe4bd_b.jpg

2614700378_b21e920b48_b.jpg

2614081419_40bf502db0_b.jpg