Medical Mile/Michigan Street Developments

joeDowntown

According to sources, a local architecture firm has been hired to replace Jonathan Bailey (architect).

So apparently JB dropped the ball? It really dosen't make much sense as they are to go to architect for children's hospitals, right??

Boy, Riverhouse is looking tall in that pic of the Institute!

any news on if this new architect is going to change up the design at all? as of now they still have the original plan posters up all over the yard.

It's my guess that much of the exterior will remain the same, considering that the construction bids were based on the drawings in hand at the time. But the interior will probably be reworked, based on comments earlier in this thread. This could get dicey as issues trickle down through the ranks of subcontractors and suppliers.

• 2 weeks later...

I noticed plywood on a couple of windows on the top floor. Excited to see this ugly building come down. It'll look quite nice with the new medical building in its place!

Joe

Demo and abatement is in progress. Actual structural demo is probably a couple months away, but it should be down this fall.

Probably of limited interest to all...but.... The tunnel between Butterworth and LHCP is now open. Unknown to me (until yesterday) - they built out a new little stub of a hallway in the West building at Butterworth and put in a new elevator. Previously the W building only went 3 levels below grade (A, B, and C) but there is now a D level which seems to be exclusively for access to the LHCP tunnel.

Nice ones Avocado!

I noticed today that one of the twins is starting to poke out into view on Michigan Street. That will be quite the sight to be able to see that much of the CH looking up (down) Michigan (imagining it's only 1/4 of the way there):

2667386339_0b8b700c0e_b.jpg

2667378705_27c3fa2722_b.jpg

Wonder what the little detailed swoop on the concrete base is for?

2667380019_56d3d9f7fa_b.jpg

Another question: Are we going to see this switched to concrete construction instead of steel (due to steel costs)?

Oh alright, I know most people have a hard time envisioning something 3 dimensional that's not there yet ;) :

2667514689_fb7ce468b3_o.jpg

Zooinks! That's huge.

What with be the final height of the building. Would you say it's comparable to the height of the court house?

Close. The Children's Hospital will be a bit taller. The courthouse is 206':

http://www.emporis.com/en/wm/bu/?id=kentco...ndrapids-mi-usa

The HDVCH to the top of the spire will be about 318', and I think we surmised the tower being about 230 - 250' (somewhere between the courthouse and the JW):

358734981_9178874c5a_o.jpg

Here's a little known tidbit: the HDVCH spire, from the base to the tip, will be as tall as the Amway Grand Hotel.

I'm left scratching my head on this one. The DVCH tower is about 160-190', right? According to the elevation HDVCH's tower doesn't rise much above it. How is everyone getting the 230-250'? Maybe I'm measuring from a different point?

I'm left scratching my head on this one. The DVCH tower is about 160-190', right? According to the elevation HDVCH's tower doesn't rise much above it. How is everyone getting the 230-250'? Maybe I'm measuring from a different point?

I'm basing that on the fact that the HDVCH (new tower) will have about 3 floors above grade at the base, that the current hospital doesn't have, and be at least one floor taller than the mechanical penthouse of the current hospital tower (that was almost taken out by the chopper). That equals about 40' taller.

But yes, visually if you look at it from the perspective of that North elevation, it will appear to be about one floor taller than the top of the current mech penthouse.

Or looking at it another way, it will stand about 3 stories taller than this side of the hospital:

http://www.emporis.com/en/il/im/?id=389424

Speaking of the Children's Hospital, here's a recap of renderings that we haven't seen in a while. Assuming the design doesn't go through massive changes and value engineering, that bridge, spire and cable assembly is going to be incredible to watch.

578406918_4c98397ac8_o.jpg

578513949_2d92eb427c_b.jpg

And that ground floor is going to be something else:

270876445_c514331975_o.jpg

270876444_668a844bf8_o.jpg

I just noticed in that last image it appears that the cables attach to the medical complex across the street as well.