Medical Mile/Michigan Street Developments

joeDowntown

Thanks for the reminder of the completed project.

Has it been mentioned that a giant needle might not be the best image to put in a child's mind before they head into the hospital?

Yeah, we joked about that way back when it was unveiled. But looking at the more detailed elevations, the spire has definitely been "blunted" at the top.

358734981_9178874c5a_o.jpg

Here also is a cross section of the ped bridge. It appears that the ceiling opens up higher and higher, almost like a cathedral, as you get closer to the hospital. Nice touch.

571101139_5e4ad69715_b.jpg

You can now see the stair tower for the Children's Hospital poking over the RDV buildings from the 6th Street bridge.

You can also now see it poking up over the buildings as you approach from the East on I-196 (GVSU, Heart Center, Spectrum ramp, etc). I was thinking that spire is going to be quite a sight coming in from that direction.

So are they going to build these elevator cores all the way up to the top (?10-11 stories) first? They already don't look to be the most structurally sound at 5 stories tall...just hard to imagine 2 11-story pillars sticking up like that with the rest of the building trailing behind.

You can also now see it poking up over the buildings as you approach from the East on I-196 (GVSU, Heart Center, Spectrum ramp, etc). I was thinking that spire is going to be quite a sight coming in from that direction.

You can also see them over the Towers Building from Belknap Lookout.

2688256539_1e2c96a2e6_b.jpg

Driving past at lunch I can't believe how much steel has been put on the building in the last day.

Speaking of Steel, does anyone drive North on Division? MSU is making a box canyon out of that street.

2692409361_a33436d1f1_b.jpg

A better view of the medical school from the other side:

2689068808_db460eb0a0_b.jpg

The Van Andel Institute is one of 9 institutes that will collaborate in a brain cancer research project:

http://www.pgxreporter.com/issues/6_29/fea...s/148222-1.html

The Ivy Foundation, a Palo Alto, Calif-based foundation that funds brain tumor research, kicked off the Ivy Genomics-Based Medicine Project last week. The project brings together nine US institutions: TGen, Ohio State University, MD Anderson Cancer Center, University of Alabama at Birmingham, University of California-San Francisco, Henry Ford Hospital, Mayo Clinic-Rochester Minnesota, Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine, and Van Andel Research Institute.

I'm surprised none of the local media has picked up on this yet.

I wonder how much news the local media gets from this site...

:D"Hey Joe, I need a story idea" "Go see what they're talking about over at UP!"

In this case, there wasn't a press release put out by VAI (that I could find), so that might be why it wasn't picked up.

The Van Andel Institute is one of 9 institutes that will collaborate in a brain cancer research project:

http://www.pgxreporter.com/issues/6_29/fea...s/148222-1.html

The Ivy Foundation, a Palo Alto, Calif-based foundation that funds brain tumor research, kicked off the Ivy Genomics-Based Medicine Project last week. The project brings together nine US institutions: TGen, Ohio State University, MD Anderson Cancer Center, University of Alabama at Birmingham, University of California-San Francisco, Henry Ford Hospital, Mayo Clinic-Rochester Minnesota, Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine, and Van Andel Research Institute.

I'm surprised none of the local media has picked up on this yet.

That linked article has now shut down to non-subscribers. Here's the article at the Arizona Republic:

http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepublic/b...-grant0711.html

I can't even imagine what VAI will be like with 3x the number of people working there (the status and partnerships forged).

To add to eridony's and avocado's. Children's Hospital sightings. Imagine the spire rising out of that, taller than the current tower crane height (twice as tall maybe?):

2695729845_e177146d97_b.jpg

2696625374_17c66066b6_b.jpg

2696569224_687da97d11_b.jpg

It's hard to see in this photo (but you can see it in person), but they are adding the steel for the curved balconies for the second floor portion of the lobby.

2696570348_94006dcffd_o.jpg

2695755543_fc2c12980f_b.jpg

Holy smokes this tower is going to dominate.

:D"Hey Joe, I need a story idea" "Go see what they're talking about over at UP!"

In this case, there wasn't a press release put out by VAI (that I could find), so that might be why it wasn't picked up.

In this day and age -- having Google News search and all!?

....its not news unless they hand us the PR. :lol:

I think since we are seeing some more news coming in from Medical Mile it might be wise to get a Medical Mile reporter on staff at some of these news agencies. :dontknow:

Edited by Rizzo

Holy smokes this tower is going to dominate.

In this day and age -- having Google News search and all!?

....its not news unless they hand us the PR. :lol:

I think since we are seeing some more news coming in from Medical Mile it might be wise to get a Medical Mile reporter on staff at some of these news agencies. :dontknow:

This Mississippi newspaper website has a whole section called "PRNewswire". I know that it's all press releases from these companies...but someone else who wasn't familiar with this type of thing might think they were reading an article from the paper.

http://www.sunherald.com/prnewswire/story/697389.html

On topic, here's a photo from Crescent St (1 block south of Michigan), 1/2 block west of Fuller.

2697813526_48b5586df9_b.jpg

Do you think the HDVCH will be visible from here? Probably at least the spire I guess.

Do you think the HDVCH will be visible from here? Probably at least the spire I guess.

Definitely in the winter when the leaves are gone.

Here's something cool. Click on the image (and the click on medium or fast speed at the bottom left):

2697810231_8121731774_o.jpg

Not my camera obviously. About 8 weeks total so far. And LOOK! Actual pedestrians going up Michigan Street!

Definitely in the winter when the leaves are gone.

Here's something cool. Click on the image (and the click on medium or fast speed at the bottom left):

2697810231_8121731774_o.jpg

About 8 weeks total so far.

That is cool. Does anyone remember exactly where the old brewery (Fox?) building fit in on Michigan Hill? I remember taking note of that historic building back in 1961, for some reason.