Medical Mile/Michigan Street Developments

joeDowntown

A little, but not much. It appears they are still working on the fifth (?) floor.

From my little window:

They look about halfway done with the girders for 5th floor. The corrugated steel "floor" is in place on all of 2nd and 3rd floors and mostly finished on 4th floor. A lot of work going on in the elevator cores. The vertical steel is up to the 6th floor and that looks like about as far as the can go without raising the crane and building up the elevator cores again.

Rumors are opening has been pushed back to spring of 2011 (was fall 2010) but that's not from an especially reliable source...

MSU Med School has the whole first few floors closed in with tarps (green ones, natch). Pouring floors?

MSU Med School has the whole first few floors closed in with tarps (green ones, natch). Pouring floors?

Floors are poured up through 1/2 of 6th and the final few pours of the 1st floor auditorium seating and final lobby topping slab. The tarps are for fireproofing operations. It keeps the material from carrying in the wind and sticking to things it's not supposed to - i.e. cars, adjacent buildings, etc.

I see brick going up on the north side of the Lutheran Immanuel Church addition, as well. The brick seems to match the older portion of the building in pattern, but all of the bricks seem to be the exact same colour. Will they begin to slowly differ from themselves as they age?

Also, Crescent Park is now completely fenced off. I need a new favourite place to relax. =[

Edited by tSlater

From my little window:

They look about halfway done with the girders for 5th floor. The corrugated steel "floor" is in place on all of 2nd and 3rd floors and mostly finished on 4th floor. A lot of work going on in the elevator cores. The vertical steel is up to the 6th floor and that looks like about as far as the can go without raising the crane and building up the elevator cores again.

Looks like steel for the 6th floor was going on today.

Here's VAI Phase II today:

2868841010_87bd244100_b.jpg

It looks like the crane for HDVCH is working on this project.

The view from the other side:

2883343424_7f14157ccf_b.jpg

Snowmelt system?

2883344908_c4834a63cf_b.jpg

I think we're about at the half-way point on this:

2882504579_79ff524c7c_b.jpg

The tower doesn't look so great from the Bostwick side with that huge base:

2882501713_0f2fefa588_b.jpg

On to the VAI. Looks like they are adding an architectural detail to match the entrance on the East side (although this looks more like a patio area than an entrance):

2883340006_18723928e1_b.jpg

On to MSU, adding the "foil" on at the top:

2883335736_1db66b2c63_b.jpg

VAI II had its topping out ceremony yesterday. Just happened to catch it whilst on a walk waiting for my next class. Unfortunately I did not have my camera with me, so my photos are all via cell phone. I'll add them when I have a chance; I am in the middle of moving and there is no internet servic at home yet.

Today I noticed a green colored crane has been set up at the southwest corner of Spectrum Health's main hospital building. As of this post, this new crane has been hoisting steel I-Beams to the roof. Anybody know what going on there?

I think it's building a new helicopter landing pad. I saw it too and could see new I-beams on the roof.

Here's the fir tree on the topped out VAI:

2907391205_1283d51477_b.jpg

• 2 weeks later...