Macy's coming to Nashville

FluffyP13

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i just saw on the news that Macy's has bought Hecht's and all of the stores in the middle tn area will become Macy's. this includes the new one in green hills and the cool springs mall.

neat to see TN getting its first upscale department stores

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I really don't think these Macy's will be upscale..probably just like the ones in Memphis.

i wonder about the hecht's in the mall at green hills b/c it recently built a whole new large store that was to become the "flagship" hecht's more or less, if there is such a thing. so maybe the macy's in green hills will be an upscale macy's. the store is brand new, big and really nice. plus, green hills is long overdue for upscale department stores in my opinion. i remember there was talk of an upscale tenant using the old part of the mall that hecht's moved from when their new store was completed. neiman's was thrown around as was nordstrom and others. haven't heard anything lately though

plus, green hills is long overdue for upscale department stores in my opinion. i remember there was talk of an upscale tenant using the old part of the mall that hecht's moved from when their new store was completed.

i agree, they've always had the nice smaller stores, but never an upscale anchor. it's definatly the nicest mall in the nashville area.

Macy's has bought everything luckily up until now Tennessee has escaped the wrath of Federated Department Stores. When Macy's takes over, there is no telling what could happen, because I have seen old Burdines-Macys turned into awesome stores with a variety of upscale brands, then I have seen ones in Kentucky Ohio and Indiana that remind me of a JC Penney selectionwize. Given the area I would think that both Cool Springs and Green Hills would draw a full line store especially with the square footage at Green Hills.

I would really like to see Nashville get an upscale anchor at Green Hills, Cool Springs is a pretty beotchen mall too so I dont know how Nashville has escaped having an upscale anchor. Especially since it attracts things pretty out of its league size wise.

Hey another off topic question who bought Castner Knott.

Hey another off topic question who bought Castner Knott.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Dillard's did.

Macy's is not much of an upscale store anymore, especially after the merger. If you want upscale, try to get a Nordstrom, which I can't believe Green Hills does not have.

Macy's has bought everything luckily up until now Tennessee has escaped the wrath of Federated Department Stores.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Not exactly, Macy's bought the Goldsmith's stores in Memphis and Jackson a few years ago.

And you are correct that Macy's is not upscale. Goldsmith's went down after Macy's took over.

I read somewhere that the plans for the Sterick building in Memphis were calling for an upscale department store like Nordstrom's or Saks with a hotel taking the top floors. I can't find that article anymore. If someone can find it, please let me know. I don't know how much truth is in it because it seems that the price tag for a renovation like that would be astronomical.

I guess a Macy's would be nice at Cool Springs. Good thing it happened now, though, we just bought a bunch of stuff from Hecht's. Phew! That was close! :o

Anyway, did anyone else know there's a mini Saks at Opry Mills? I just went there today and found that out. I never knew that.

Anyway, did anyone else know there's a mini Saks at Opry Mills? I just went there today and found that out. I never knew that.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Interesting. I haven't been there in a while. What part of the mall is it in?

It's a Saks Off Fifth. There was one at 100 Oaks also until last January and was closed when the company decided to dismantle some underperformers. The Off Fifth is nice for a smallish store, but is still beyond my budget on most things. The shoe selection isn't large, but they've got some great stuff. They carry Coach which fits my old feet perfectly so that makes me happy. I have an Armani jacket I wear with my jeans in the Fall, but it was a hand me down. My budget's not quit tuned to $2000 suits, or Burberry, or Hugo Boss for that matter. lol They do have some really nice things, but once again, my tee shirts say Hanes, not Versace. I did notice on my last visit last week that the men's department has shrunk considerably and that makes my play time of trying things on less fun. Rats. But it's really okay, there's always TJMaxx and Marshall's. :)

On the topic of Nordstrum. I remember years ago when they wanted to put a store at Cool Springs on property just past the former Service Merchandise property. The neighbors threw a fit and it didn't happen. I'm sure with all the money oozing out of the pores of so many people around here, it will happen eventually. I would truly, truly be willing to wait until downtown gets the rooftops necessary for something like this. It was talked about for the Gulch at one point, but that retail component is currently on hold while they build up the critical population mass necessary. Nordstrum would be a destination store and I don't doubt we'll have one, but I would really hate it if it ended up in some suburban mall out there, unless it's Green Hills. A Crate and Barrel in the downtown area would be cool as well. If we have to wait another hundred years for a Needless Markup, oh, excuse me, a Neiman Marcus, that wouldn't upset me at all. There's plenty of places around here to buy the same goods without having to endure mall traffic, you just have to be in the know about where they are...and have bucks to care. People all over town are covered in Versace, Prada and Armani...but believe me, to this East Nashville boy? Lebanon and the Polo store serve me well. ;) Happy Shopping!

I thoght that I would join in. I live in the DC area and Hecht's is based in the area. It was/has been part of the May Co. for years. May Co. stores are known for a sale on every weekend and they are middle of the road stores. They go higher line in areas that they think that they can and lower line in others. Goldsmiths in Memphis has been part of Federated since the 1920's. It was always the smallest regional Federated chain and was folded under the Rich's management a number of years back. Goldsmith's no longer had local management or buyers and was probably treated was less interest and merchandise. Macy's was a relatively recent purchase by Federated. The idea behind the purchase was that because of the Macy's Day Parade and a West Coast presence that Federated market the name as a National Brand and compete better with other national brand stores. They would not be pushing different regional local brands. Bloomingdale's would carry the banner for upscale national brand and Macy's for middle market. Again Bloomingdale's was seen as having a national name recognition. With the purchase of May's, Federated gets into a number of new markets that it had not been in because the two chains did not overlap too badly. They also got another name that even though the May Co. had hurt it badly that they thought that the name may be worth saving Lord and Taylor. Lord and Taylor really isn't and hasn't been upscale for a number of years, but I think that Federated thinks that there is enough name recognition to position it between Macy's and Bloomingdale's and to be able to put it into midsize markets that it doesn't think could support a Bloomingdale's. Think of Macy's as being broad range and moving to upper middle class in areas where they think the market could support it and lower middle class if they don't think that there is a market. Lord and Taylor moving into an upper middle class market slot and Bloomingdale's going into being more high end against Nordstrom's, Saks, etc. I can tell you this. Federated is a better run and higher quality chain than the May Co..

I read somewhere that the plans for the Sterick building in Memphis were calling for an upscale department store like Nordstrom's or Saks with a hotel taking the top floors.  I can't find that article anymore.  If someone can find it, please let me know.  I don't know how much truth is in it because it seems that the price tag for a renovation like that would be astronomical.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Someone here posted something to that effect. There wasn't any link, so I don't know how much faith to put in it.

Seems to me as long as developers can make tons of money working on warehouses and redeveloping brownfields in South End, they'll probably stay there until the land runs out rather than tackling such an enormous project.

Once Macy's opened in Memphis in January, it became rather divided into which stores were primarily upscale and which were just the regular Goldsmiths with another name on the cover. The Oak Court and Wolfchase Macy's locations (Oak Court is the Memphis flagship store) have retained a more urban touch...Oak Court wins the race in my opinion...while the other stores (Hickory Ridge, Southland, etc.) have basically kept the old feel. Oak Court currently offers a selection of designer clothing (I believe Hugo Boss or some line like that was in the men's department last time I checked) with a restaurant and vast selection of items in its massive 3-story location in East Memphis. The Wolfchase location is poised to get a restaurant in it soon as well as a higher end clothing line in certain departments.

Also, I was away for the first month of the summer, but there was an article in the CA or one of the other Memphis papers talking about how the Sterick Building was going to be made into a hotel/condo development with an upscale retail tenant in the bottom 3-5 floors. Saks is the buzz that I hear from anyone talking about it.

Also, I was away for the first month of the summer, but there was an article in the CA or one of the other Memphis papers talking about how the Sterick Building was going to be made into a hotel/condo development with an upscale retail tenant in the bottom 3-5 floors. Saks is the buzz that I hear from anyone talking about it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't doubt you, but I sure wish you could find that link. I would like to read about it. I look at the downtownmemphis.com page every so often, and they've not mentioned it.

Archived