Indoor Malls in Atlanta

peaceloveunderstanding

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When looking at overhead maps of Atlanta on Google Maps I have noticed that Atlanta has many indoor malls, often in pairs!

How many malls are there exactly and how big are the largest ones?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Do you mean Atlanta proper or metro Atlanta?

I'll take a stab at this.....

1) Mall of Georgia....................Buford, Ga...................1.7 million sq ft

2) Lenox Square Mall...............Atlanta, Ga...................1.5 million sq ft

3) Perimeter Mall.....................Atlanta, Ga...................1.5 million sq ft

4) Phipps Plaza........................Atlanta, Ga...................819,000 sq ft

5) Town Center Mall.................Kennesaw, Ga...............1.2 million sq ft

6) North Point Mall....................Alpharetta, Ga..............1.3 million sq ft

7) Northlake Mall......................Atlanta, Ga...................950,000 sq ft

8) North Dekalb Mall.................Decatur, Ga..................634,000 sq ft

9) South DeKalb Mall................Decatur, Ga

10) Stonecrest Mall...................Lithonia, Ga..................1.3 million sq ft

11) Southlake Mall....................Morrow, Ga..................1.0 million sq ft

12) Greenbriar Mall...................Atlanta, Ga..................650,657 sq ft

13) Arbor Place Mall..................Douglasville, Ga...........1.4 million sq ft

14) The Mall West End...............Atlanta, Ga...................330,000 sq ft

15) Cumberland Mall.................Atlanta, Ga...................925,000 sq ft

16) Gwinnett Place Mall..............Duluth, Ga

17) Discover Mills......................Lawrenceville, Ga.........1.2 million sq ft

18) Shannon Mall.......................Union City, Ga.............

I may be missing one but I doubt it. I will have to get back to you with square footage but I know that the Mall of Georgia is the largest followed by Lenox.

Do you mena Atlanta proper or metro Atlanta?

I'll take a stab at this.....

1) Mall of Georgia....................Buford, Ga       

2) Lenox Mall...........................Atlanta, Ga..................1.5 million sq ft

3) Perimeter Mall.....................Atlanta, Ga...................1.5 million sq ft

4) Phipps Plaza........................Atlanta, Ga

5) Town Center Mall.................Kennesaw, Ga...............1.2 million sq ft

6) North Point Mall....................Alpharetta, Ga..............1.3 million sq ft

7) Northlake Mall......................Atlanta, Ga...................950,000 sq ft

8) North Dekalb Mall.................Decatur, Ga..................634,000 sq ft

9) South DeKalb Mall................Decatur, Ga

10) Stonecrest Mall...................Lithonia, Ga.................1.3 million sq ft

11) Southlake Mall....................Morrow, Ga..................1.0 million sq ft

12) Greenbriar Mall...................Atlanta, Ga

13) Arbor Place Mall..................Douglasville, Ga...........1.4 million sq ft

14) The Mall West End...............Atlanta, Ga

15) Cumberland Mall.................Atlanta, Ga

16) Gwinnett Place Mall..............Duluth, Ga

17) Discover Mills......................Duluth, Ga

I may be missing one but I doubt it. I will have to get back to you with square footage but I know that the Mall of Georgia is the largest followed by Lenox.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Not that this is a big deal or anything, but I thought Discover Mills was in Lawrenceville. Just questioning, that's all. There is also Peachtree Center (Mall) which is at the corner of International and Peachtree in DT Atlanta. it's sort of an "express" mall. But never the less it's still one.

Not that this is a big deal or anything, but I thought Discover Mills was in Lawrenceville. Just questioning, that's all. There is also Peachtree Center (Mall) which is at the corner of International and Peachtree in DT Atlanta. it's sort of an "express" mall. But never the less it's still one.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You are correct, Disovery Mills is in fact in Lawrenceville.

I guess if you count Peachtree Center Mall then that would make number 19.

You are correct, Disovery Mills is in fact in Lawrenceville.

I guess if you count Peachtree Center Mall then that would make number 19.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I hope I didn't give you the impression that I am the type of person that has to correct you on every mistake you do. I actually thought I was wrong so that's why I asked.

I hope I didn't give you the impression that I am the type of person that has to correct you on every mistake you do. I actually thought I was wrong so that's why I asked.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No Sweetie.....I can say in with all honesty that I didn't precieve your post as a personal correction. You were correct with what you said and I appreciate your correction. I would rather have the correct information than incorrect information. Feel free at anytime to offer correction. Noone is always right. :)

BTW, I had totally forgotten about the Peachtree Center Mall. You reminded me about it. It is very small with no anchors but it is in fact deemed a mall. You are very familiar with alot of Atlanta which means you like it here. :thumbsup:

I meant metro atlanta, thanks that list just confirmed what I had thought... There are a lot of malls in Atlanta!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah. Atlanta is the undisputed champ of retail space in the south. It's 2nd to Chicago for most retail square footage or something like that. I read an article a couple of months ago that retail in Atlanta is 96% occupied. Those are astonishing numbers.

No Sweetie.....I can say in with all honesty that I didn't precieve your post as a personal correction. You were correct with what you said and I appreciate your correction. I would rather have the correct information than incorrect information. Feel free at anytime to offer correction. Noone is always right.  :)

BTW, I had totally forgotten about the Peachtree Center Mall. You reminded me about it. It is very small with no anchors but it is in fact deemed a mall. You are very familiar with alot of Atlanta which means you like it here.  :thumbsup:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well I have been here 5 times and am now staying with my girlfriend at Atlantic Station till school starts, and I have nothing else to read during the day so my head is always in those tourist books. And plus once I graduate I have an apprentice job lined up at Cingular. One more year to go and I'm on my way to HOTLANTA! :D

Well I have been here 5 times and am now staying with my girlfriend at Atlantic Station till school starts, and I have nothing else to read during the day so my head is always in those tourist books. And plus once I graduate I have an apprentice job lined up at Cingular. One more year to go and I'm on my way to HOTLANTA! :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ah Atlantic Station, How is that place coming along?? It was under construction when I moved to Chattanooga last summer. I can't wait to see it when it's completed!!

Ah Atlantic Station, How is that place coming along??  It was under construction when I moved to Chattanooga last summer.  I can't wait to see it when it's completed!!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ahhhhhhhhhh, Atlantic Station. Live, work and play.

Atlantic Station is exceeding expectations. From a real estate aspect, sales have been so brisk that many have been sight-unseen sales. The 26 story Twelve Atlantic Station development which was recently topped out is probably already sold out. Most of the other residential development has been midrise and are sold out or have waiting list (for rental units). Again, the residentail arm of Atlantic Station has been red hot (no pun intended for those if us in Atlanta). This is remarkable because it is competing with many residential and retail development across the downtown connector in midtown proper. Which leads me back to retail...........

Although Atlantic Station would not classify as an indoor mall. It is built on a citi-center plan. Stores occupy different buildings all gathered to look like a city. Anyway, while not a mall in the traditional sense, Atlantic Station's retail arm has brought suburban shopping to an intown location.

Shops will include:

American Eagle Outfitters

Banana Republic

Bath & Body Works

Chaplin's Jewelry

Cingular Wireless

City Sports

Dillard's

DSW

Express/Express Men

Eye Gallery

Gap

Guess?

IKEA

Jos A Bank

Metropolitan Deluxe

Old Navy

Pier 1 Imports

Ritz Camera

Victoria's Secret

Z Gallerie

Eat and Play will include:

Athletic Club

California Pizza Kitchen

Claddagh Irish Pub Restaurant

Copeland's Cheesecake Bistro

Doc Green's

FOX Sports Grill

The Grape

Mama Fu's Noodle House

Moe's Southwest Grill

PJ's Coffee and Wine Bar

Publix

Regal Theater

Rosa Mexicano

Strip - Steaks & Sushi

Tahitian Noni Caf

is Atlantic Station walkable? If so, I will need to check it out on my trip down there next weekend.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There is still alot of construction going on but I would say that it is walkable. The whole complex is 138 acres so that's not really all that large....in relative terms I suppose. The residential, office and retail are pretty much all together so in time it will be a very walkable community. As far as walking from Midtown to Atlantic Station, that depends. I would say yes, 17th Street was designed to be pedestrian friendly but I would do it in the heat of summer.

Don't qoute me but I think all the parking in the parking garages are free. The retail and business complex is built on top of "under ground" parking decks. I have not heard of them charging to park there yet. I think the largest employer to more there so far is a law firm and Wachovia so I don't think they will be charging for parking.

Actually now that I think of it, drive to the Ikea and park there then walk along 17th Street from there. There, that solves it.

ah, okay. Thats pretty cool.

How secure is building a massive development ontop of a parking deck?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You mean a la' the original World Trade Center complex? I don't really know how to answer that. Honestly it never crossed my mind to even think about it. Gee thanks Moonshield!!! :P

Ah Atlantic Station, How is that place coming along??  It was under construction when I moved to Chattanooga last summer.  I can't wait to see it when it's completed!!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It is so awesome! My girlfriend has a place in the Art Foundry (where I am currently typing from). The Art Foundry is located DIRECTLY next to IKEA. Most of the projects there are finishing up. while I was driving around there are starting 2 new sets of apartments, 1 set across from ikea and the other next to the shopping district. One thing I really wished they had more of is parks. That 1 park in the middle of 17 St just doesn't do it! I really do wish they had a 4 or 5 acre park so I could walk my doberman. I like how they didn't swamp the whole development in a shopping mall or strip malls. I somewhat like how they had parking decks adjoined to the residential buildings, at least you know you have a place to park when you come home. I really like the homes they built! Not the rental ones, but the REAL homes! They are so nice!

are there any free parking garages around it? ('cause I'm cheap :))

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No, sorry about that but the MEGA underground parking deck under the shopping center is a pay deck. There is some parking meters above ground but they are very hard to find due to shoppers and construction workers. I "think" you can apply for a visitor's pass and then you don't have to pay for parking. I may not be right but I could almost swear I think that this is true. :huh: I really can't wait for the shopping to open up! That Dillards there looks awesome! I still can't figure it out how they managed to fit all those parking spaces underground! I heard it was like 5,000 spaces under there. Oh and by the way, I would REALLY take Celeste's advice and go and get parking space over at IKEA and walk over. Then you really get the feel for the area. Just try to not come on a week end because the place is PACKED! Oh and don't worry parking spaces at IKEA don't cost. :)

What about Underground Atlanta? Can't that be considered a mall as well. Also, not sure if these are still in existence but Avondale Mall. There is also a really small Mall in Roswell, cant remember the name of it though. Probably Roswell Mall. But if I recall the thing only had 20-30 shops in it so it wouldnt be on the list. Considering these others Atlanta has about 21 indoor malls. How about lifestyle centers? I know The Avenues, (Upscale Lifestyle Centers) have 2 locations in Cobb county and 1 in Peachtree city.

Hmmm, maybe they tore down that little mall in Roswell. It was very small but WAS a mall...i know Im not dreaming that up. And at one time I guess Underground could of been considered a mall but that was a long time ago too. Too bad about the Avondale mall.

Archived