PROPOSED: Utopia Project

Frankie811

• Replies 523
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What a mess. It's interesting that Scott Murphy,who is the father of new District 5 US Rep Chris Murphy, is involved on Preston's side. I had never heard of the guy before this morning, now I've read about him twice in the span of 4 hours. Hopefully everything gets ironed out and we'll have ourselves a nice new movie deal thingee on the eastern side of the state...

• 2 weeks later...

In a Nov. 20 letter to Congdon, opened and released Wednesday night, Charles T. Coursey of Northland wrote that the firm has followed the progress of Utopia's proposed $1.6 billion entertainment complex proposal and is impressed by the scope and concept of the project.

The letter includes a sampling of Northland's accomplishments, including developing the Hartford 21 project, and notes that the company has a major presence in Connecticut, a $500 million portfolio and an

i didn't quite get that northland wants to build utopia out of the article, but i did get that they want the site for something.

i actually like the suggestion from the lebanon developer for the thames river landing. i think that would be much better than something like utopia... and it's a CT-based developer (from that part of teh state no less).

i didn't quite get that northland wants to build utopia out of the article, but i did get that they want the site for something.

i actually like the suggestion from the lebanon developer for the thames river landing. i think that would be much better than something like utopia... and it's a CT-based developer (from that part of teh state no less).

Is that a liberal penguin from Happy Feet in you avatar!

I'm not sure what they meant when they said they could meet the conditions of the development agreement and when they specifically cited liking the scope and ideas of Utopia. We'll have to wait and see, but I'd bet they are at least thinking more theme park resort-ish type deal. Also, remember for what ever reason the town is opposed to housing development at the site, so a mixed use project with a housing component might be a tough sell. I get the idea that they want it to be all commercial though.

• 3 months later...
PCGrad:

Same State -- no!! It will be worse!!! :) I think what is needed for that site would be a Connecticut Maritime University. A university devoted to Marine trades -- a partnership with Elecrtic Boat to develop the sub builders of tomorrow. Maybe CMU could have business classes for port management (because we NEED to PROMOTE our ports.) along with naval achitecture, meteorology, and maybe aircraft design.

Maybe CMU could lease some space for businesses for students to intern with.

JimS

• 1 month later...

Archived