IN PROGRESS: Roger Williams Park Botanical Center

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

props to anyone who knows what the line is actually refering too. While its a great line, what inspired Mitchell to write it?

By the way, I am only 27, dont really care for Joni Mitchell's music in a general nature, just a music buff.

props to anyone who knows what the line is actually refering too. While its a great line, what inspired Mitchell to write it?

By the way, I am only 27, dont really care for Joni Mitchell's music in a general nature, just a music buff.

The whole song is inspired by a trip of hers to Hawaii in the early 70's when a development boom was going on. The line in question refers to the botanical garden there which was created partially because of the fact that the development was killing off local species of flora.

When you open your deli, I expect a free sandwich as part of my props.

Very nice. I'll trust that you did not use Wikipedia or some other online resource to get that either. :)

One free sandwich for Brick. And a Dr. Browns Cel-Ray for good measure.

I had a girlfriend that would have gone gay for Joni Mitchell. Big Yellow Taxi is one of the few conversations I still remember. :shades:

• 4 months later...

Now we need a bus line that runs frequently from Providence, through the JD near Heritage Harbor and the Children's Museum, to the Zoo and Park. The bus should also throughroute to Pawtucket so that families up there can ride the bus to the Zoo quickly and easily.

Now we need a bus line that runs frequently from Providence, through the JD near Heritage Harbor and the Children's Museum, to the Zoo and Park. The bus should also throughroute to Pawtucket so that families up there can ride the bus to the Zoo quickly and easily.

Good idea...The #77 Benefit-Broadway bus already connects Pawtucket from the Mass. state line to Warwick via the East Side, JD, Upper/Lower South Providence, and Washington Park (route number changes from 77 to 42 to 1 at major transfer locations). If more buses could be added and service increased, you could divert this route west on Thurbers and south on Broad which would drop people off at the eastern entrance of the park.

There are existing bus lines that connect CF & Pawtucket to the zoo although these lines bypass the JD.

RIPTA needs to start giving the throughrouted buses one number, this change number business is confusing. The 26 Atwells becomes the 40 east of KP, and I can catch it at the bus tunnel going home, but I always have to think what the bus nember is east of KP, it should just be 26 or 40 straight through (sometimes the 40 drivers switch the bus to 26 inbound at Thayer Street, which helps).

One thing RIPTA recently did was create a combined Charles Street schedule (the Charles Street/Walmart schedule). It combines the 51, 52, 53, 54, 58, and 72 on one schedule as all those routes go as far as Silver Spring on the same route before starting to split off Charles.

It would be good if they could add something to the route numbers of buses that follow common corridors. Maybe identify corridors by letter, so say the Charles Street corridor was the "C" corridor on maps and schedules, and every bus that traveled that corridor would have a "C" in front of the number, C51, C52, C53... Maps could then show these corridors, and people would know they could take any "C" or "B" or "A" etc. bus to reach stops along those corridors.

...and a stop at the train station for those who might actually ride in on the MBCR to go to what is a nice 'package' of touristy things to do.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I don't believe it's open. I walk past it with some frequency, so I've been keeping an eye on the construction process. The building is done, but they're still working on the grounds.

But hey, the plants are all in there, so I guess if you wanted to come peer at them through the glass panes, you could do that. :P

I don't believe it's open. I walk past it with some frequency, so I've been keeping an eye on the construction process. The building is done, but they're still working on the grounds.

But hey, the plants are all in there, so I guess if you wanted to come peer at them through the glass panes, you could do that. :P

Archived