Golden Gate Shopping Center

DigitalSky

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's an old shopping center (circa 1960). A lot of old shopping centers used to have two grocery stores (Friendly Center had two as late as 1997), and apparently Golden Gate's Harris-Teeter and Food Lion do enough busines to justify keeping both stores open.

Another thing to consider is the high-income demographics surrounding the center. There are not many shopping centers that boast those kinds of income levels in their primary market, especially in in the Triad

Another thing to consider is the high-income demographics surrounding the center.  There are not many shopping centers that boast those kinds of income levels in their primary market, especially in in the Triad

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What is really funny is that this shopping center is only a hop skip and a jump from the "supposed poor-depressed" area that CCM is in.

There were not always two grocery stores there in that shopping center though. For a long time, there was just one...Harris Teeter came later when a big remodel was done several yrs ago.

BTW, is the Staples at Golden Gate appoximately where Woolworth's and/or Roses  (not sure which) used to be?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I do not recall a Woolworths in Golden Gate(not that there wasnt-I just dont remember offhand if one was there for sure), but I do know there was one not far away in the NorthEast Shopping Center that is now a Dollar Tree on Summit Ave.

I guess I said "supposedly depressed/poor" in my reply because I dont really consider that side of town depressed/poor. (and found it interesting that only a mile or two down the road the area was called a higher income area...Golden Gate has a very diverse income level around it depending on which side of Cornwallis you decide to travel)

Anyway, back to the point...it may have two supermarkets, but I am sur eboth just do moderate business. You have your Harris Teeter clientel and Food Lion clientel both within the same area. Also, a lot of people jusy "cherry-pick" Harris Teeter, and only get their specials. I'm sure these stores don't do outstanding sales, but they do enough to justify the location staying open. If anyone left, it would be the HT. Is the DMV office still there? Or am I thinking of another shopping center?

Anyway, back to the point...it may have two supermarkets, but I am sur eboth just do moderate business.  You have your Harris Teeter clientel and Food Lion clientel both within the same area.  Also, a lot of people jusy "cherry-pick" Harris Teeter, and only get their specials.  I'm sure these stores don't do outstanding sales, but they do enough to justify the location staying open.  If anyone left, it would be the HT.  Is the DMV office still there?  Or am I thinking of another shopping center?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

When I've been in either store...both have been busy.(though my perception of busy may be different than the bottom line of busy $$ speaking) That harris teeter isnt one of their larger stores. It seems to be one that has survived even though some of the other HT stores closed.

The DMV is there.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree. I dont think there are poor areas near Golden Gate. There is middle class to the east which are primarily elderly age people living in the old mill homes which are not poor and depressed. On the west and north side of the center there are very affluent established neighborhoods. State Street Station is nearby. that is an upscale retail boutique shipping district that look alot like the French Qaurter in New Orleans. Food Lion has lower prices than Harris Teeter so I image most of the middle class residents that live nearby shop at Food Lion and the more affluent residents for the most part shop at Harris Teeter. However many affluent people are penny pinchers and like to look for bargains.

There are other areas of the city where you have one supermarket in the shopping center but there is another supermarket across the street in another shopping center.

When I've been in either store...both have been busy.(though my perception of busy may be different than the bottom line of busy $$ speaking)  That harris teeter isnt one of their larger stores.  It seems to be one that has survived even though some of the other HT stores closed. 

The DMV is there.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Harris Teeter is actually, if anything, expanding. Unless I'm mistaken, all of the HT stores that have closed in the area were stores they got when they bought out Kroger; they kept most of the stores open for a little while, and closed the ones that proved to be unprofitable (like the Wendover store). Golden Gate is a *very* small store compared to most newer HT's, but I think it does okay.

There are still a handful of "Food Lion sized" HT's around NC but their numbers are quickly decreasing....Kind of like the old Krogers 4 they "modernized" in the mid '90's. I haven't seen any old "Food Lion sized Krogers" since the late '90's....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There are a few small Krogers around (mostly in really small towns in West Virginia or Ohio), but I don't think there are any small ones left in NC.

• 4 months later...

I finally had a chance to visit both grocers in this center - honestly, they just need one- the Food Lion b/c the HT there sucks. They could just build a bigger/better FL

I think HT's location planning department is smoking crack. As many stores as I've seen them pull out of (and there have been many) the ones that remain somertimes are the most poorly designed and the smallest, like Golden Gate. It doesn't seem to make much sense.

I like that Harris Teeter. I remember when it was also Food World...This was one of the places that my mom went for groceries on occassion (and still does from time to time). Given they closed the Harris Teeter that was in the NorthEast Shopping Center on Summit Ave several years ago (that also was a Food World and before that a Big Bear )I have an attachment to these old stores there. Yes they are small, yes they may not serve the masses and be out of date-but I love the charm. (and perhaps Im the only one that feels it) I am wisked back into time when I was small and I could sit on the mechanical pony at the front of the store. We were just in that shopping center this evening...it is like home.

I like that Harris Teeter. I remember when it was also Food World...This was one of the places that my mom went for groceries on occassion (and still does from time to time). Given they closed the Harris Teeter that was in the NorthEast Shopping Center on Summit Ave several years ago (that also was a Food World and before that a Big Bear )I have an attachment to these old stores there. Yes they are small, yes they may not serve the masses and be out of date-but I love the charm. (and perhaps Im the only one that feels it) I am wisked back into time when I was small and I could sit on the mechanical pony at the front of the store. We were just in that shopping center this evening...it is like home.

I can see your point. Charm has its place in retail, too.

• 5 years later...

Well, unfortantely places like Wal-mart are popular with most people today, so stores like this one have lost their market base significantly. On the up and up, I hope something useful like a ACE hardware store, or entertainment venue like a Dave & Busters replaces this store; another grocery store like Trader Joes would be huge mistake for this dying shopping area.

I agree that another store would not succeed here with Food Lion in the same shopping center. Store like Harris Teeter have been pulling out of areas with lower incomes over the past decade. I know Irving Park is not that far a way but most people who live in the more affluent Irving Park will go to Friendly Center if they shop at Harris Teeter where there are more food choices and services. I think if this location were converted to a Rush fitness center, it would do well. I just can't really see another retail use for this location.

Archived