Some Nashville proposals and projects

tnwalker

Here is a list I posted in another forum. I hope it gives you some kind of an idea just how much the urban living scene in Nashville is exploding. I know there are several others I did not mention but its kind of hard to keep up with. It seems like yesterday that there was nothing being announced but now it seems there is something every other day to get excited about.

Sounds proposal 600 units

Signature tower proposal 55 stories

West end summit proposal 25 and I think 21 story towers

I have heard about two 10 story residential towers in west end if any one knows about these please elaborate

I have also heard about a 10 story 305 unit building in sobro by Tony G

Hill center in green hills 70 million dollar 10 acre office and retail

west view redevelopment 8 stories 10 units

Kress conversion 25 units

Morgan park place in Germantown not sure on units but I think 27 in phase 1

Bennie dillion conversion 86 units

Laurel house lofts in the gulch 48 units

Lofts at 160, 32 units

Lofts at the exchange 47 units

Mercury view lofts in the gulch 32 units

Riverfront apartments condo conversion 145 units

The enclave in Hillsboro village 148 units

Harrison lofts first phase 9 stories 40 units second phase 16 stories 60 units, I

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looking at your list, it looks like 2500+ housing units. How many are in the construction/conversion stage and how many are just in the planning stages? That translates to 5000+ new residents. That is a large number of units to come on within a short period of time, I am assuming that many are going to depend on how some of the earlier ones are recieved and if financing can become available. Sounds like downtown Nashville is making large strides to becoming more than a daytime workplace and evening tourist area.

i'm still wondering if there will be a good infastructure for all of these new residents moving to downtown. 5000+ is a lot of people for an area that will have just one small grocery store downtown once the viridian opens. i'm hoping that a lot of these mixed use areas with lofts will attract small general stores into the area. this is a very exciting time for nashville.

I'm pretty sure they are all under construction now or very soon will be except for the ones that say proposal of course and the harrison lofts I'm not to sure about. Other than that I think the rest will come to fruition, maybe someone can confirm that for me, oh and i forgot to add the 100 condos that would be included in signature. So if my math is correct that is 2,960 possible units and roughly 2000 that I am fairly certain about.

You left out the newly announced 18 story Icon building in the gulch. I believe I read that is supposed to have about 400 units.

Also you didn't mention the Adelicia. I'm not sure how many units are supposed to be in it but its a similar size to Icon.

You beat me to it. I was just going to mention those. Adelicia has 225 units so that is roughly 2600 that I'm fairly certain about and 3585 possible units. On a side note did anyone read profits and profiles this weak where it said Tony G was finalizing a major development.

I read that, I bet it's the SoBro thing. The lot, I think is next to the Symphony Hall at the base of the Shelby Bridge...huge lot, good to see it gone. We certainly don't want to get too far out from downtown for this list, but don't forget all the condos on West End, like The West End, Midtown lofts...and about 10 others. The biggest and most prolific developments are outside the loop, but they're no fun. Thanks for all that stuff, tw.

I'm in the mood to take pictures this weekend. If anybody's see an old bald man downtown this weekend acting like he's not an old bald man (I hope I've exaggerated a bit here), say hello. If I'm not walking, I'll be in a little black VW.

Another thing or two. The condo building mania is on 18th Ave So. as well. The large building nearest Division is looking great, a new one at 1101, with 50+ units, will start soon, and one of the builders told me yet another one with 140 units is slated for 18th, but he couldn't tell me exactly which property it was. Oh yeah, and don't forget the condos soon to go up at 8th and Wedgewood. Gee, this place is going to get crowded.

As far a downtown grocery shopping, I don't see that it's a real problem. Hills in the Viridian will be there, and don't forget the Farmer's Market and Kroger a few blocks away. I think Hermitage Avenue near Rolling Mill will be a good spot for a pretty good sized one. Land could be a problem, though. I'd hate to see anything bad happen to The Hermitage Cafe....

As far a downtown grocery shopping, I don't see that it's a real problem. Hills in the Viridian will be there, and don't forget the Farmer's Market and Kroger a few blocks away. I think Hermitage Avenue near Rolling Mill will be a good spot for a pretty good sized one. Land could be a problem, though. I'd hate to see anything bad happen to The Hermitage Cafe....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree Dave, there is no issue with downtown grocery shopping currently. I shopped all the time at the Kroger on 8th when I lived in downtown Nashville, as well as the Farmers Market on occasion. The only thing right now is that you can't just walk to the store for dinner supplies, but HG Hill will solve that.

You can buy milk, soda, and staples downtown at a higher price a couple of corner markets, but HG Hill will provide a real walkable grocery option to just go grab a gallon of milk on the way home for folks living downtown.

I think a lack of a full-service walkable grocery in d'town is very evident. While the farmers market is available (sometimes) for fruits and veg. the biggest hole is less quality meat and lack of organic products (Kroger on 8th). Thus a trip (a short trip but a car trip non the less) to the Harris Teeter on 21st is required once or twice a week.

I would love to see all these projects underconstruction but i am really pulling for the west end summit because it would stand out the most along with the icon and adelica , Nashville would have 2 skylines.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This is very true. Of all the projects proposed for Nashville, I think getting West End Summitt built will be the most beneficial to the overall skyline. West End is booming. All it needs is a few taller towers to be a true second skyline and following in the footsteps of urban areas outside the CBD like Midtown in Atlanta.

Alex Palmer started aquiring this land for West End Summit back in 1999. Since then he has paid about $25,000 a year property tax on the empty lots. William and I figured that he is losing money by not developing them. There is just about 2 acres of land there. If you look at the web site, aspcompany.com, and read the amenities for the buildings, one is a 550,000 square foot office tower (the larger one), and a hotel is the other tower.

He has several problems:

1) Getting an anchor tennant for a 550,000 square foot office tower is not very easy. The NCP reported that a major law firm has agreed to terms with One Nashville Place on a lease. They are moving from West End.

2) Major hotel chains like Westin, Ritz, Peabody, and others are looking downtown, possibly at Signature Tower.

3) The CBD is very hot. Remember a New York firm has bought the L&C to convert it into condo's, and another firm bought the Suntrust Bank Tower. A lot of state offices are moving to Metro Center. That leaves a lot of office space in the CBD. That is one reason Tom Smith and Richard Fletcher were against MDHA rezoning the property behind the Ryman for Suntrust Plaza.

4) According to records with the Property Assessors Office, Alex S. Palmer sold his building in Burton Hills and Palmer Plaza. he is strapped for cash and he had to sell those building for working capital, or so it seems.

5) Several projects like the Harrison Lofts have been delayed because of not being able to get a construction loan. Palmer may have a tennant, but if he cannot get a construction loan, he can't do a thing.

1) Getting an anchor tennant for a 550,000 square foot office tower is not very easy. The NCP reported that a major law firm has agreed to terms with One Nashville Place on a lease. They are moving from West End.

2) Major hotel chains like Westin, Ritz, Peabody, and others are looking downtown, possibly at Signature Tower.

3) The CBD is very hot. Remember a New York firm has bought the L&C to convert it into condo's, and another firm bought the Suntrust Bank Tower. A lot of state offices are moving to Metro Center. That leaves a lot of office space in the CBD. That is one reason Tom Smith and Richard Fletcher were against MDHA rezoning the property behind the Ryman for Suntrust Plaza.

4) According to records with the Property Assessors Office, Alex S. Palmer sold his building in Burton Hills and Palmer Plaza. he is strapped for cash and he had to sell those building for working capital, or so it seems.

5) Several projects like the Harrison Lofts have been delayed because of not being able to get a construction loan. Palmer may have a tennant, but if he cannot get a construction loan, he can't do a thing.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Good points all, Doorman. BTW: You're "new" since I visited here last year... it's great to have somebody so "plugged in." I've been on assignment in Berlin for six months. And while I'm a native of Atlanta (I live there too)... I really missed my 'ville.

Don't forget though, that Peabody appears to be planning their own building. However, I expect that their building will somehow be worked into the Sounds ballpark development (just a hunch I have). I also think that they are waiting to find out where the Convention Center will go.

The other thing to remember is that many of those office buildings downtown are getting long in the tooth... and are on the verge of becoming "Class B". This coupled with the trend of businesses to move westward could be a big plus for Palmer. I see downtown sort of becoming a big mixed-use area as its older buildings are converted to residential, and the business corridor moves down W.E. and Church and Demonbreun (the Row). My Two Cents!!

And Hume runs mostly parallel to Garfield. An announcement for a multi-story condo called, apprpriately, The Garfield, was made last week. I drove by the site and its already been cleared so I suppose they'll be building soon. It won't approach 100 units, but I'm thinking (uh-oh) 44 for some reason. Germantown is sprouting like mushrooms. Wonder what's next?

Hello All,

I own a small biz in Germantown and love the area - at first I was super excited to find a nice loft-type space in that area - I was stuck on Werthan Lofts for a while, but could not seem to get my hands on a decent sized unit for under 200K.

Then I got turned on to the East End Loft development on Woodland. I was thrilled to put a deposit on a cool unit there ( nothing's built yet ). I did this over 2 months ago, and at that time the people from Village Real Estate - said they expected to go to contract and break ground on the place in " a few weeks" WELL, months have past with no visible signs of progress. Also they still have no material or real specs even on the table to show anyone. I have seen three slightly different floor plans of my bottom floor unit. No one can answer any questions about ANY detail specs on the place, I've seen conflicting specs on window sizes and other things such as this.

IS THIS NORMAL? Does anyone know. Is this development HAPPENING?? or not?

Out of the 40 units the website currently show less than 10 UN-reserved. What could they be waiting for to move on this? It does seem that they may be having trouble selling many of the units on the back side of the building that face the back parking lot, instead of woodland st... and maybe some of the top 4th floor 250K units with lots of glass, but very small indoor space - lots of outdoor balcony/patio space...

I heard there was a previous plan for that site with mixed use - retail in the bottom and lofts above - that apparently got scrapped in favor of this new plan. With no progress, and this news of past failure, I'm afraid the current East End Lofts may be in trouble or something. I really hope not - I and so excited to see the place built !

Does anyone have any info or input on this?

Thanks!

Andy

Andy, I read somewhere about a September goundbreaking, but I can't remember where. It seems Bristol is wrapping up the Broadway project and getting underway with the Bristol West End right now. They're also busy in Birmingham, so maybe the plates jsut too full to pull it all off at once. Hopefully, I remembered correctly about September and I'm sorry I can't be more specific.

I'd go right to the developer Bristol Development (Ashley Hines) and ask them what's up. Let us know what you find out. I drive by every day on the way to work and have wondered myself when they would start. If I see anything moving, I'll be sure and let you know.

I guess it's sometimes easy to overlook all the construction on the Vandy campus (IMHO one of the most beautiful in the USA). So when I went up to Nashville last weekend, I checked in with my friend who works in the VU Development office. They have projects underway that amount to $400 million. They will total $2 billion the next 4 years!

As an alum, I get regular emails with campus updates. Here's a link to campus construction info.

http://www.vanderbilt.edu/register/articles?id=20583

BTW: I asked him about Palmer's WES and he said that he hadn't heard anything regarding any downsizing or cancellation of the project. He knows Palmer personally and said that he is determined to get the project out of the ground by next spring. My friend has no doubts that it will go forward, and it will be a really big and nice project.

As I left campus, I went out Vanderbilt Place to 31st (to see the new Bristol W.E.). It's just a hole right now. Also, I saw that site prep is happening at the corner of Blakemore/31st and Vandy Place for something. Does anybody know what's going in there? I put in a call to my buddy on this, but no reply yet. Just curious.

Just one more thing about your fair city. I was downtown on Saturday morning (and later that afternoon) and was favorably impressed by the activity going on there. It's hard to believe that there aren't many apartments downtown yet because it was humming. I can only imagine how much more interesting it will be when 4000+ new homes are finished in a few years. My wife also took notice of the buzz downtown. She and our kids loved the Marionettes at the library. Way to go, Nashville!

Ah, such a nice post ATL. Thanks.

The site prep at 31st and West End is for, well, The West End, a 10-story luxury condo. A block away the Midtown Lofts, lots of things on Long Blvd., Rio Bravo becoming a fancy steakhouse, new bank where the Mapco was, Captain D's turning into Starbucks, and Houston's is closing so expect some news about that in the future. Well, now that we've got that intersection reported....there's so much to come.

Archived