Should I-526 finally be completed?

Charleston native

Should the Mark Clark Expressway, also known as I-526, be completed to finish the interstate beltway through the Charleston area?  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Should the Mark Clark Expressway, also known as I-526, be completed to finish the interstate beltway through the Charleston area?

• Yes
    • No

I'm fairly certain this project will be completed. It would come in handy thats for sure, but whether it is really needed I'm not so sure of that. I could see this opening up some sprawl out in Johns Island but honestly its just gonna make life easier for the people living out there that commute to downtown or other parts of the metro... Good growth limitations and planning are what you use to limit growth not overloading roads and making living conditions uncomfortable because your hoping to ward off any new comers.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One problem with the extension that no one has mentioned is that it's planned to go through James Island County Park on its way to hooking up with the connector. I mean- we live in a city where people constantly complain that there aren't enough parks, and we're going to build an expressway through the only real park on James Island? A six-lane highway running through a park is something you'd expect to find in New Jersey, or on the outskirts of Chicago or Los Angeles. Does anyone really want this in Charleston?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Keep in mind that James Island County Park is in essence an urban park, so it will have urban structures around it. However, I believe, according to the maps I have observed, the expressway would be built on the outer fringes of the park's boundary.

I'm fairly certain this project will be completed.  It would come in handy thats for sure, but whether it is really needed I'm not so sure of that.  I could see this opening up some sprawl out in Johns Island but honestly its just gonna make life easier for the people living out there that commute to downtown or other parts of the metro...  Good growth limitations and planning are what you use to limit growth not overloading roads and making living conditions uncomfortable because your hoping to ward off any new comers.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Alright, you probably can't say that I-526 is 100% needed for the area. ^_^ But the need is still relatively high when referring to the current residents that live on all the barrier islands and for the people of the Charleston area who want to go to the beaches. I completely agree with your last statement, as well. Making living conditions uncomfortable usually doesn't deter new people from making the area home, especially if it is a beautiful, pleasant area near the ocean.

Well Mike, looks like the prior mayor of Charleston J. Palmer Gaillard, Jr. actually agrees with you and me! :thumbsup: He was mayor of Charleston from 1959-1975, so I think he is an excellent source in determining what is good for the city. He wrote a great op-ed in today's P & C in response to Dana Beach's earlier op-ed which said that the extension of the Mark Clark to Johns Island was unjustified and wasteful. In contrast, Gaillard says that procrastinating the construction of the last leg is unjustified and wasteful. Here is one great quote from the article, and the link for the entirety of it is located at the bottom:

...Mr. Beach cites several studies that have been made at great expense, some of which support his position as to why the highway should not be built. I am sure that competent people made those studies and they probably sincerely believe that they are predicting the future.

However, we have seen too many predictions arrived at from studies that turned out to be wrong. I am confident that you can employ competent, capable and honest people who will give you the completely opposite results.

I do not advocate additional studies. Those who oppose the highway would love to study it to death. That would be an astronomical waste of public money at this late date. The location of the Mark Clark from Mount Pleasant to North Charleston, to the West Ashley area, to Johns and James islands and terminating at Calhoun Street on the peninsula was selected after years of study and proper hearings. It is 75 percent built and should be completed...

Mark Clark extension to Johns Island is justified and not wasteful

• 3 weeks later...

Case in point. Developers don't control what gets developed, the lcoal governments do. But their complete lack of proper land use policies and caving into developers is turning the Charleston area into a mini-Atlanta sprawlville. Honestly I know a number of people who don't even care to visit Charleston anymore (including myself) because it has sold itself out to chain stores, its over gentrified, and the traffic is unbearable. In 20 years the area is going to be looking at ways to reverse the damage that is being done but it will be well beyond too late.

Just another idea for response that occurred to me: most of the development that Johns Island is experiencing even without the Mark Clark is located in unincorporated Charleston County, and IMO, the county has not ever been a good controller of sprawling development. I think this fact should emphasize the importance of the city of Charleston annexing the entire island, because the city has much better urban planning. That being said, I am not 100% opposed to suburban development on the island, or "sprawl" as many detractors like to say in order to make it sound deplorable.

Just another idea for response that occurred to me: most of the development that Johns Island is experiencing even without the Mark Clark is located in unincorporated Charleston County, and IMO, the county has not ever been a good controller of sprawling development. I think this fact should emphasize the importance of the city of Charleston annexing the entire island, because the city has much better urban planning. That being said, I am not 100% opposed to suburban development on the island, or "sprawl" as many detractors like to say in order to make it sound deplorable.

The city of Charleston has refused to annex anything outside the Urban Growth Boundary, so they wouldn''t be able to annex all of Johns Island. So far, the County has done a good job respecting the city's growth limits, and I don't think they could change direction without serious political fallout. Where the city of Charleston really needs to annex lands is in Berkeley and Dorchester Counties, where there is no official growth boundaries. There's the constant threat (and reality) of developers leapfrogging into these areas, and building willy-nilly with no respect for Charleston's plans. However, annexing these areas is hard to do, since for the most part they are seperated from the city by protected rural land in unincorporated Charleston County. Kind of a Catch 22, but one that I don't think will change any time soon.

The city of Charleston has refused to annex anything outside the Urban Growth Boundary, so they wouldn''t be able to annex all of Johns Island. So far, the County has done a good job respecting the city's growth limits, and I don't think they could change direction without serious political fallout. Where the city of Charleston really needs to annex lands is in Berkeley and Dorchester Counties, where there is no official growth boundaries. There's the constant threat (and reality) of developers leapfrogging into these areas, and building willy-nilly with no respect for Charleston's plans. However, annexing these areas is hard to do, since for the most part they are seperated from the city by protected rural land in unincorporated Charleston County. Kind of a Catch 22, but one that I don't think will change any time soon.

That is a good point. With Charleston's annexation of Daniel Island and Cainhoy, the city has virtually no limitations to annex further up Berkeley County to Moncks Corner, practically. It would be better to annex those areas, but the demand and need for it is not there...yet. Charleston does have an urban growth boundary on Johns Island, but there is plenty of the island that is not within the city limits. I think the city should concentrate on "filling in the doughnut holes" on that island and James Island.

• 1 month later...

I hope it does not take a major hurricane (after its all done with) for the I-526 missing gap to suddenly become a high priority to build the missing segment between SC 30 and the I-526 terminus at US 17 in W. Ashley so hurricane evacuation is improved the next time.

I'm just curious if congestion on a local road has ever kept people from evacuating in time. I can understand gridlock on a major highway out of a region leading to delays in evacuating, but I just can't imagine slow traffic on a relatively short stretch of road like Maybank Hwy. or Main Rd. causing people to be trapped in the event of a hurricane.

I'm just curious if congestion on a local road has ever kept people from evacuating in time. I can understand gridlock on a major highway out of a region leading to delays in evacuating, but I just can't imagine slow traffic on a relatively short stretch of road like Maybank Hwy. or Main Rd. causing people to be trapped in the event of a hurricane.

I remember from Hugo and Floyd evacuations that local roads were incredibly jammed because of the sheer numbers of people that used those roads to get to the main highways. If you build more access to the main highways, local roads can become less congested. Also, the only main artery out of the city is I-26, and most people use that route to get to I-95. US 17 South was also bad heading to I-95. The main thing is that this completed highway would allow residents on James and Johns Islands to have a better choice in deciding how to leave the city.

I remember from Hugo and Floyd evacuations that local roads were incredibly jammed because of the sheer numbers of people that used those roads to get to the main highways. If you build more access to the main highways, local roads can become less congested. Also, the only main artery out of the city is I-26, and most people use that route to get to I-95. US 17 South was also bad heading to I-95. The main thing is that this completed highway would allow residents on James and Johns Islands to have a better choice in deciding how to leave the city.

During a normal rush hour, the intersection of I-526 and I-26 is horrendous. During a major evacuation, I can only imagine it being a major chokepoint. Adding more cars to I-526 will only make that chokepoint worse. I just don't see completing I-526 making a huge difference in how fast we evacuate. Of course, I also believe that anybody who heeds an evacuation notice will get out of the area in plenty of time. The people who stay are the ones who want to, or have no transportation options.

During a normal rush hour, the intersection of I-526 and I-26 is horrendous. During a major evacuation, I can only imagine it being a major chokepoint. Adding more cars to I-526 will only make that chokepoint worse. I just don't see completing I-526 making a huge difference in how fast we evacuate. Of course, I also believe that anybody who heeds an evacuation notice will get out of the area in plenty of time. The people who stay are the ones who want to, or have no transportation options.

The chokepoint you're referring to deals with traffic mainly in between I-26 and Mt. Pleasant. It always seems to be worse coming to I-26 that way rather than coming from the West Ashley side. Adding the final leg would enhance evacuation routes from Kiawah, Seabrook, James, Johns, and Wadmalaw Islands. They could leave using the Mark Clark and decide on whether to use US 17, SC 61, or I-26 to get out of the city.

• 3 months later...

Does anyone know at what stage this idea is at. I've heard conflicting things. Some say it's going to happen soon, others say it'll never happen. * What I'm talking about is a link between 526 (at the Savannah Highway connection) to the end of the James Island Connector at Folly Road.

Does anyone know at what stage this idea is at. I've heard conflicting things. Some say it's going to happen soon, others say it'll never happen. * What I'm talking about is a link between 526 (at the Savannah Highway connection) to the end of the James Island Connector at Folly Road.

You're not the only who's confused. Charleston County Council recently commisioned a study on the possible averse effects of the extension. This was after they applied to the State Infrastructure Bank to fund the extension. Talk about doing things backwards! Anyway, the Bank hasn't gotten back to them yet, so they're just waiting. There's still a lot of fighting and shouting to go before anything's decided for sure.

• 3 months later...

My concern with the completion of 526, is that it will end at Calhoon Street in downtown Charleston. There is no where for traffic to go, and only one other single lane that loops around to merge with two other streets all competing for a single lane to 17 north and 17 south, which is already a traffic jam all day long.

So the question is will there be another off ramp that will hook into the Ashley River Bridge, the

My guess is that there arent any. That intersection is already pretty crammed in as it is.

Perhaps traffic signs could be put up to direct cars onto Rutledge instead?

Also, lets not forget that there is already an intersection with 17 that traffic could use.

526 needs to be finished. The conservationists need to quit protesting and allow what was proposed 30 years ago to come to fruition. Nothing has ever been mentioned by the preservationists and conservationists about the negative effects that not finishing 526 have caused to the West Ashley area.

With 526 basically ending in West Ashley - commuters who live on James & Johns Islands as well as Kiawah, Seabrook, etc all have to funnel through West Ashley and further clog already heavily congested arteries like Sam Rittenberg Boulevard, Ashley River Road & Savannah Highway.

I work in downtown Charleston and live in West Ashley. If 526 were finished between Savannah Highway and Calhoun Street, not only would my 1 hour and 10 minute morning commute be cut in half, I wouldn't have to snake through what could be "tranquil" neighborhoods if they weren't clogged with commuters trying every way possible to get through West Ashley and attempt to avoid the unbelievable traffic congestion.

It is ridiculous that 526 was never finished as originally envisioned. If something isn't done soon to "kick start" this project, the citizens of West Ashley need to ban together and proceed with legal action against those holding back this project as it directly affects every person's quality of life who lives west of the Ashley.

Theres more discussion about I-526 by clicking here

Maybe we can move these posts to the original thread that Jerseyman pointed out. Moderators?.....

Todd, I can definitely tell you are a West Ashley native as I am! Most people who live in this section of Chas will agree that this section needs to be completed. Savannah Highway is indeed clogged with barrier island traffic going to Kiawah, Seabrook, Johns, and James islands as well as Folly Beach! The last leg of this expressway would direct many vehicles which use US 17, Folly Road, and Main Road away from these thoroughfares and put them either further into James Island or just on the tip of Johns Island.

Despite what the CCL and Dana Beach say, traffic will be alleviated, even though it won't be a dramatic improvement with US 17 becoming completely devoid of cars. It still will be a great improvement and provide better flow for this entire section of the metro area.

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

i read an interesting article today in the charleston city paper about 526. the point that stuck out to me is that the bcd-cog did a study of the road situation in 2030 and found that most major thoroughfares in the metro will be in horrible condition....even with the extension of 526 through johns island. the cog is saying that the traffic situation with or without this extension is going to continue getting worse on 26, 17, 61, 7, rivers, dorchester, calhoun, king, and the list goes on....even main, river, maybank, wont see any benefit with this extension, so whats the point. the peopel out there dont want it, so dont build it, put the money into the roads/bridges that we already have. for example the wapoo cut bridge (on folly road) was ranked 3rd most unstable bridge in teh state...and should have an estimated 45 million in maintence done on it a year, yet only 10 million is allocated to it. which shows my point....take care of what we have before we build more.

i read an interesting article today in the charleston city paper about 526. the point that stuck out to me is that the bcd-cog did a study of the road situation in 2030 and found that most major thoroughfares in the metro will be in horrible condition....even with the extension of 526 through johns island. the cog is saying that the traffic situation with or without this extension is going to continue getting worse on 26, 17, 61, 7, rivers, dorchester, calhoun, king, and the list goes on....even main, river, maybank, wont see any benefit with this extension, so whats the point. the peopel out there dont want it, so dont build it, put the money into the roads/bridges that we already have. for example the wapoo cut bridge (on folly road) was ranked 3rd most unstable bridge in teh state...and should have an estimated 45 million in maintence done on it a year, yet only 10 million is allocated to it. which shows my point....take care of what we have before we build more.

It is going to get worse with or without this extension but it will be much worse than how bad it will be with the extension if they dont build it. I read that article also and it seemed to skip the whole subject of what traffic will be like without it. We all know that without further investments in infrastruture that traffic will be worse everywhere and this obstructionist attitude has held Charleston behind to play catch up for too long..

The most cost effective solution will ultimately be in the form of mass transit, rather than roads. There is too much evidence to reinforce that. The final leg of 526 just finishes the logical connection and helps to mitigate that bottleneck to a certain extent.

i read an interesting article today in the charleston city paper about 526. the point that stuck out to me is that the bcd-cog did a study of the road situation in 2030 and found that most major thoroughfares in the metro will be in horrible condition....even with the extension of 526 through johns island. the cog is saying that the traffic situation with or without this extension is going to continue getting worse on 26, 17, 61, 7, rivers, dorchester, calhoun, king, and the list goes on....even main, river, maybank, wont see any benefit with this extension, so whats the point...

The point is what we've already said: if building the extension still has the major highways failing, imagine what it will be like with out the extension. :scared: It would be literally unbearable. We need to incorporate what Spartan has mentioned by finishing the logical extension to complete the beltloop, then institute an extensive mass transit system for additional, and more substantial traffic alleviation.

Archived