Mid-Westerner needs input on retirement cities

I've lived all my life in the Dayton, Ohio/Kettering, Ohio area. Kettering is a nice city (clean, friendly, safe), but I'm bored and retiring in about 5 more years. I love the water (which is not too close to Kettering -- at least not clean river water). I love the beach, but as long as I can get in the water a sandy beach is not necessary. The humidity here is not so bad, so I may have some adjusting to do... I love art and may try to put my stuff in a gallery someday. With that in mind.. what are the pro's/con's of these cities I think I would enjoy moving to (con includes alligators in the water with you! Mesquitos that drain you dry, Tornadoes, etc...) Keep in mind hikes/nice walks/parks, safety, art galleries/shows/ plenty to see and do, but a reasonable cost of living... Thanks in advance for your input!

1) Jacksonville, Florida

2) Hot Springs, Arkansas

3) Hampton, Virginia

4) Savannah, Georgia

5) Knoxville, Tennessee

6) Virginia Beach, Virginia

7) Charlotte, NC

8) Greenville, SC

9) Gainesville, FL (or Tallhassee or Ocala)

10) Hickory, NC

11) Nashville or Chattanooga, TN

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've lived all my life in the Dayton, Ohio/Kettering, Ohio area.  Kettering is a nice city (clean, friendly, safe), but I'm bored and retiring in about 5 more years.  I love the water (which is not too close to Kettering -- at least not clean river water). I love the beach, but as long as I can get in the water a sandy beach is not necessary.  The humidity here is not so bad, so I may have some adjusting to do...  I love art and may try to put my stuff in a gallery someday.  With that in mind.. what are the pro's/con's of these cities I think I would enjoy moving to (con includes alligators in the water with you!  Mesquitos that drain you dry, Tornadoes, etc...)  Keep in mind hikes/nice walks/parks,  safety, art galleries/shows/ plenty to see and do, but a reasonable cost of living...  Thanks in advance for your input!

1) Jacksonville, Florida

2) Hot Springs, Arkansas

3) Hampton, Virginia

4) Savannah, Georgia

5) Knoxville, Tennessee

7) Charlotte, NC

8) Greenville, SC

9) Gainesville, FL  (or Tallhassee or Ocala)

10) Hickory, NC

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks alot for the info. You are right about the Humidity issue. I am no wilter, but I can easily say that Dayton's Humidity (most of the time) is no where near what I would encounter in Florida. That's why Jax is probably top (things to see/do, beach, "play in the water", etc. Can you tell me more about the peninsula vs. the Hampton area? what's the city? Thanks!

I've lived all my life in the Dayton, Ohio/Kettering, Ohio area.  Kettering is a nice city (clean, friendly, safe), but I'm bored and retiring in about 5 more years.  I love the water (which is not too close to Kettering -- at least not clean river water). I love the beach, but as long as I can get in the water a sandy beach is not necessary.  The humidity here is not so bad, so I may have some adjusting to do...  I love art and may try to put my stuff in a gallery someday.  With that in mind.. what are the pro's/con's of these cities I think I would enjoy moving to (con includes alligators in the water with you!  Mesquitos that drain you dry, Tornadoes, etc...)  Keep in mind hikes/nice walks/parks,  safety, art galleries/shows/ plenty to see and do, but a reasonable cost of living...  Thanks in advance for your input!

1) Jacksonville, Florida

2) Hot Springs, Arkansas

3) Hampton, Virginia

4) Savannah, Georgia

5) Knoxville, Tennessee

7) Charlotte, NC

8) Greenville, SC

10) Hickory, NC

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There's a Hot Springs topic in the Arkansas forum. One of our frequent forumers in the Arkansas forum is from Hot Springs. Johnnydr87 lives in Hot Springs and should be able to answer your questions about it. Hot Springs isn't on the ocean of course, but there are quite a few lakes including Arkansas' biggest lake nearby. Hot Springs National Park allows much hiking just minutes from the downtown area. It can get a bit humid here in Arkansas. Arkansas does have tornados but I the Ouachita Mtns help keep them from developing a lot of times. It seems Hot Springs has been developing an arts community there. I've heard of some Italian artists that have moved there because it reminded them of Italy. But you'd probably get more info from Johnny. It also might be helpful to take a look at the topic under the Arkansas forum.

So... You like Chattanooga and Knoxville? You might want to also look into Huntsville. The three cities are basically the same (population, mountains), but Huntsville is a bit less tourist-oriented and more resident-oriented. Hsv has the most parks per capita than any other city its size. It has low crime, maybe 10 murders per year on average. The art museum is nice, and there is room for more art galleries here. And cost of living- that's one of our best selling points. Huntsville was ranked #2 in May by salary.com in a cost of living ranking, only behind New London, CT, but it looks like you want a warmer climate :) . Speaking of climate, it only gets humid in July, but beyond that, it's liveable. Winters are nice- it gets into the 50's in February. Alligators are not a problem, mosquitoes are gone by June, but tornadoes are a bit of a problem, especially in November. And the beach is only 6 hours away.

Of those listed I would say Savannah is probably the most urban friendly. Lots of history and character and the tree lined streets are among the most beautiful in the country. Of course the skeeters and gators are bad in parts of Savannah (ant the Florida cities mentioned) but not so much in winter. It can be very hot and humid in Savannah in the summer but the winters are beautiful and mild. Most of your walking and hiking can be done in great comfort during the winter months.

1) Jacksonville, Florida

2) Hot Springs, Arkansas

3) Hampton, Virginia

4) Savannah, Georgia

5) Knoxville, Tennessee

7) Charlotte, NC

8) Greenville, SC

10) Hickory, NC

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm quite surprised you're not considering Charleston, SC. The peninsula is a little on the high end as far as housing is concerned, but there are certainly more affordable areas in the city and the metropolitan area. Personally, I think it has more culture than all of those you've listed. :thumbsup:

Archived