Can you remember NC banks prior to mergers?

NcSc74

While growing up in Fayetteville I would rember seeing the NCNB signs on branch location and never thought that it would one day be obsolete. I also rember visiting my grandmother in wilmington and going to the UCB. Am I the only one who kinda misses these home grown banks and are there any more that have gracefully bowed out. If I am not mistaken were the NCNB signs have sort of the same color as first Citizens. I know UCB was blue and white.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First Home Federal of Greensboro got gobbled up by CCB....which now has been gobbled up by Suntrust...

I also remember NCNB. There was a branch on Summit Ave, that is now a Church office....that also went through a period of time being an "if it's paper " if I remember correctly.

There also was a branch of NCNB in CCM ....right inside the upper main entrance.

I remember NCNB & First Union up in Charlotte & in Rock Hill SCNB, C&S (out of Atlanta), & SC Federal along with Rock Hill's bank. In fact the little Rock Hill bank actually had a branch in Charlotte from what I remember - don't know how that came across.

NCNB stuned the banking industry and to the misbelief of Texans, takes over the largest Savings & Loan in Texas during the S&L scandals of the 80s. This started NCNB's rise to become a National bank. This put it in the position to take over Georgia's largest Bank C&S, and I believe it was at that time they changed the name to Nationsbank.

Several more banks later (Sovran of Va, Barnette of Fla, etc) Nationsbank had grown to one of the largest banks in the USA. At this point the bank looks to expand to the west coast and ends of doing another "merger of equals" with very troubled BankAmerica based in San Francisco. This merger was really a take over and the end result was that Nationsbank gains control and changes the name to the Bank of America which continues to be based in Charlotte.

Its still basically NCNB, but they had to change the name as North Carolina National Bank doesn't work for the nations largest bank.

I remember NCNB alot! Of course I did always wonder what happened to it and Nations Bank? Thanks monsoon for filling in my un-answered questions! :lol: I did manage to find a pic of the Liberty Building in Winston that NCNB use to occupy. I couldn't save it cause Emporis wouldn't let me. I think the pic is cool because it still has the NCNB logo on it, obviously this picture was taken a while back. So here's the link.

NCNB stuned the banking industry and to the misbelief of Texans,  takes over the largest Savings & Loan in Texas during the S&L scandals of the 80s.  This started NCNB's rise to become a National bank.  This put it in the position to take over Georgia's largest Bank C&S, and I believe it was at that time they changed the name to Nationsbank. 

Several more banks later (Sovran of Va, Barnette of Fla, etc) Nationsbank had grown to one of the largest banks in the USA.  At this point the bank looks to expand to the west coast and ends of doing another "merger of equals" with very troubled BankAmerica based in San Francisco.  This merger was really a take over and the end result was that Nationsbank gains control and changes the name to the Bank of America which continues to be based in Charlotte.   

Its still basically NCNB, but they had to change the name as North Carolina National Bank doesn't work for the nations largest  bank.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yep, I was quite surprised that all of that happened within a relatively short period of time. I have banked at two different banks that have been bought out by NCNB - in SC & in Atlanta, C&S. I believe NCNB changed to Nationsbank at the same time of the C&S buyout?

I remember the Home Federal change.......I opened a CD at Home Federal, and by the time it had matured, it was SunTrust......three different banks for one CD.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That must have been a VERY long term CD. First Home Federal was taken by CCB back in 1992 or 1993...and then this year merging with Suntrust. (unless you are speaking of a different 'home federal" bank...)

280061.jpg

Here's the old NCNB logo. (photo of the old NCNB Florida headquarters in Tampa) I thought it was funny when they change the name from North Carolina National Bank to NCNB National Bank. When I asked a banker what the letters now stood for, he gave me the elevator speech: "They're just letters, they don't stand for anything". They did this after moving into Florida, as Metro stated, the term "North Carolina" didn't fit well there and later in Texas.

Also forgot about The Northwestern Bank. It was headquartered in North Wilkesboro and was purchased by First Union in the 1980s. Their building is still the tallest in downtown Asheville. In fact, when the light is right, you can still make out the "N W Bank" letters on the top of the tower. It's now got a BB&T logo on top of it.

pic_skyline.jpg

It's black glass building on the right.

I remember the NCNB in Winston. The first time I went there was to drop my sister off at WSSU. That is when I really started paying attention to skylines. I have always loved Winston-Salems skyline. Especially viewed from WSSU campus.

I remember the NCNB in Winston. The first time I went there was to drop my sister off at WSSU. That is when I really started paying attention to skylines. I have always loved Winston-Salems skyline. Especially viewed from WSSU campus.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree, Winston Salem does have a very nice skyline. Winston Salem just has a nice unique feel downtown.

NCNB had a strong presence in Miami too... I can remember as a kid in the 80s, the branch nearest to my house had a white lettered logo on green background. I can also vaguely remember one of their commercials where a very serious-sounding, authoritative male voice would close out the announcement with "NCNB..." followed by whatever their slogan was at the time, with a signature jingle playing concurrently..

In Greensboro I remember it going:

Community Bank -> Triad Bank -> Southern National -> BB&T (which is now SunTrust)

Southern National was kind of an odd bank. It was fairly large but was based in Lumberton.

Archived