Fulton / Rockett's Landing

wrldcoupe4

Renderings have been updated and the project has received approval...townhomes will be finished available in early 2007

phase_one_aerial.jpg

This is an awesome rendering! I love the look and the look of the atmosphere! Thanks for posting. This is going to be a sweet addition to the downtown Richmond area!

yeah I can't wait to see the first phase finished so we have an idea of how the whole project will turn out. I'm excited!! $250 million investment should produce something incredible!

btw... wonder who the monument will be to? Capt. Mayo? Was there a Rockett that Rockett's landing is named after? I went to high school with a Rockett...wonder if there is any relation?

Rockett's Landing looks really cool. It seems to have an industrial look to it with the water tank and its various types of construction all melded into one. It reminds me something one might find in the northeast somewhere where someone converted old warehouses into lofts, etc. I must add it is also a HUGE development! Way to go Richmond. :thumbsup:

Yeah when it's all finished, it will extend a mile along the riverfront. You said it reminds you of something in the Northeast... have you ever seen Tobacco Row in Richmond? It's just west of where Rockett's Landing is. It reminds me a lot of Tobacco Row. At least the converted Cedar Works part of Rockett's does...

here's some links if you're curious!

American Cigar Company at Tobacco Row

Consolidated Carolina Building at Tobacco Row

Lucky Strike Building

"Forest City's Tobacco Row community is a 15-block area of former warehouses and factories that is the largest cluster of privately-owned historic buildings in the U.S."

almost totally... work has just begun on the Cutter's Ridge Rowhouses on Main St behind the Lucky Strike building... They are also part of Tobacco Row as well. Cutter's Ridge Rowhouses

not all of the warehouses in Tobacco row are just for lofty condos/apartments. One has become the Virginia Holocaust Musuem, while a couple others have office space. All have 1st floor retail.

here's a birdseye view of Tobacco Row:

cr_neighborhood_map.jpg

may have seemed a bit off topic but without the success of Tobacco Row, I doubt Rockett's Landing would have happened. It is about half a mile at most to the east of Tobacco Row. The other thing is that most of Rockett's Landing will actually be in Henrico County, as the development straddles the Richmond/Henrico border. I think that makes this project even more incredible... smart, asthetic, urban development in what is a largely suburban county.

I've never seen that neat diagram/map of Tobacco Row, coupe. Thanks for posting it, Though Forest City did not develope them, there are two equally nice factory restorations containing elegant apartments in the two blocks of Cary between 24th and 26th. They were the first cigarette factories to be converted to residential. They appear in white on the diagram between #2 and #8.

Also, Guy, just west of the diagram between 20th and 21st streets is the block long Holocaust Museum, and another block west between 19th and 20th is Canal Lofts, a full block of former warehouses that are now apartments. And in addition, just north of the Edgeworth building on 21st Street all the way to and including frointage on Main Street is Haxall View, a conversion of old warehouses to residential and commercial uses. None of these properties (except Edgeworth) is being developed by Forest City. Between 19th and Pear Streets (Pear, if numbered, would be 28th street), and between Main and Cary streets, there are an estimated 1000 residential units - or will be after Lucky Strike, Cutters Row, Haxall View and Canal Lofts are completed.

Off topic - today, my nephew-in-law and I are going to try to find out something from Charlie and/or Ben Moss at Bow Tie. Probably won't get beyond the receptionist, but will try (if I can find the entrance to 1530 B'Way behind all those signs!).

:)

Edited by burt

• 2 weeks later...

didnt have time to stop and take a pic but work has definitely started on Phase I... They are in the process of clearing the land for the new construction.

That lot just to the East of Cutter's Ridge, between 25th and 26th street is supposed to be turned into parking? I'm just guessing based on what it looks like in the picture above. Anything is better than the weedy lot it was last time I was in that area.

According to NBC12, Rocketts Landing is expanding its vision. The project and the city have signed a memorandum of understanding to allow work on a master plan to go forward.

1500 condos, apartments and townhomes, a half-million square feet of office space, and 200,000 square feet of retail are planned. Plus numerous boat slips.

130 condos have already been reserved and there is a waiting list.

Since I don't have cut and paste abilities, I suggest you go to RCW to see the NBC12 report as posted under New Developments.

Edited by burt

This is actually FANTASTIC news. I was so happy when I heard about. (I guess the mayor inquiring into what Rockett's Landing would do with city land a while back was a good thing!)

Rockett's landing will end up stretching all the way west to Tobacco Row. This could also help the Canal Walk expansion come along much faster!

Some excerpts:

"You could soon see dozens of boat slips, riverfront restaurants and hundreds of condos on Richmond's East End. Rocketts Landing developers are now expanding their vision of an already massive project. The city signed a memorandum of understanding with developers allowing them to start work on a larger master plan.

How big? 1,500 apartments, condos and townhomes, half a million square feet of office space and 200,000 square feet of retail.

The mighty James is about to re-emerge as the lifeline of Rocketts Landing and transform the face of the area. There will be parks, plazas, river-edge promenade and dozens of boat slips. Rocketts Landing LLC Bill Abeloff says,

Do you suppose the Master Plan will include what was to have been Rockett's Wharf; and will it include repair to the N/S bridge across the canal and reopening of the Great Ship Lock? And how about our Ship Shops? :)

Maybe the extension will also move it further downstream in the Henrico section.

PS. Your art work, coupe, is superb. cough cough.

Edited by burt

thanks for the compliment on my fantastic artistic abilities :lol:

It's so early to tell what will happen. I feel like the Rockett's Wharf proposal actually suggested putting one of the towers on what is now part of GReat Shiplock Park. I'd actually prefer that we keep the park space in tact. Who know though? In any case, I very excited about this. I'd like to see what will happen with the Intermediate Terminal building..??

thanks for the compliment on my fantastic artistic abilities :lol:

It's so early to tell what will happen. I feel like the Rockett's Wharf proposal actually suggested putting one of the towers on what is now part of GReat Shiplock Park. I'd actually prefer that we keep the park space in tact. Who know though? In any case, I very excited about this. I'd like to see what will happen with the Intermediate Terminal building..??

Maybe that ugly white silo-like tower can be demolished near the Intermediate terminal.

most likely..... I really excited that they decided to expand westward. I always felt like Rockett's would kind of be an oasis, though a fantastic one at that. With all but 1 of the warehouses in Tobacco Row complete or under renovation, not to mention the gentrification along main, I can't wait to see this area in 4 or 5 years!