Fulton / Rockett's Landing

wrldcoupe4

Just now, Icetera said:

This thread is now "Fulton / Rockett's Landing."  I can play around with others after work.

Thanks for doing this, Icetera! My guess is that the next thing we need is for Foundry Park to be unarchived and made available, given CoStar's rumblings about a new office building in that area.

• 4 weeks later...

Right down the road from where the EDA is preparing the Fulton Gas Works site for a possible market offer, the land around the Intermediate Terminal building will be studied over the next month to see what sort of projects could be accommodated there. Note this is the vacant land surrounding the IT building and not the structure itself- looks like that project is still tied up between Stone and the city...

https://richmondbizsense.com/2020/08/31/richmond-eda-will-study-uses-for-land-around-intermediate-terminal-building/

This is another piece of land that is crucial to eventually connecting Shockoe with Fulton\Rocketts - great to see it coming online, hopefully the bar is high for what is built here. I don't care for too much height along this stretch as much as I care about creating an active,urban  streetscape between these two neighborhoods that at the same time doesn't turn its back fully to the river and the parkland between. 

Edited by whw53
  • Like 2

• 2 months later...
3 hours ago, rjp212 said:

Can't get the photos to post, but here's a concept for what could have been near the roundabout of Main/Dock.  I wish!

https://www.baskervill.com/project/richmond-on-the-james/

Could have been? I don't ever remember seeing this. Was it ever announced? Is there any more information about it?

29 minutes ago, RVA-Is-The-Best said:

That's Echo Harbour, an infamous proposal that was around right when the recession was hitting. A mix of intense NIMBYism and a collapsing economy destroyed its chances of construction. It was eventually canceled. 

Yeah, people living in that area believed that the taller buildings there would ruin the view of the river that led to Richmond receiving its name.  The view was similar to the view in England as you stand in Richmond (England) next to the river Thames.

The land is still owned by 'Usp Echo Harbor LLC' - hopefully they are able to resurrect something here that is economically feasible. The Pulse Corridor plan in 2017 kept this parcel as Neighborhood Mixed Use unlike the city owned parcels adjacent to it which it recommends as open space. 

6 hours ago, RVA-Is-The-Best said:

That's Echo Harbour, an infamous proposal that was around right when the recession was hitting. A mix of intense NIMBYism and a collapsing economy destroyed its chances of construction. It was eventually canceled. 

Ahhh... ok. Around 2008 or so? Man... spectacular project. Too bad the NIMBYs had their way (plus the recession).

52 minutes ago, rjp212 said:

Amazing the development that's happening a Rockett's Landing. That whole neighborhood reminds me of the gorgeous riverfront development in Oxen Hill, Maryland (right outside of DC just south of the bend in the Potomac) - National Harbor. I think it may technically have it's own ZIP codes assigned to "National Harbor, MD" ... either way, I was there about a year and a half ago - and Rockett's reminds me of it quite a bit.

• Like 1

The mixed use building is nearly done.  That space would be great for a restaurant (or better yet, a small grocer) and seems awkward for office space.  They have been filling storefronts with offices for a while down here though, so I am not surprised that that is their expectation now until retail/restaurants can take anchor.

Also, the U-Shaped structure in the top right is now filled with nearly completed 3 story single-family townhomes and the lots across the street towards the river are now prepped for more duplex townhomes.  Unfortunately I always forget to transfer my photos so I can post here.
image.png.e08570c956d1c5abb8678f28e64507d8.png

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

I'm really excited for this group of  projects. While I often find myself in despair over the destruction and the injustice that was served to the Fulton Bottom community and to Richmond's built environment there , projects like this pull me back to the potential of the present. In a sense that is not widely considered but one i tend to espouse, these projects are a memorial in a way to the commercial and neighborhood activity that inhabited the same streets. Will it be the same community? Of course not in a personal sense - but in the sense of local urban geography it will restore the 'node' that was lost. 

https://richmond.com/news/local/making-a-difference-spencer-e-jones-iii-keeps-the-memory-of-historic-fulton-alive/article_67b15efc-a27d-5ce8-9700-3219972e5ced.html

Edited by whw53
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/20/2020 at 9:54 AM, Icetera said:

The 1.4 Acre lot for Fulton Yard now has the trees cleared.  I swear the trees were there yesterday morning so they may have done a quick Saturday cutting session.  I did not notice equipment there then and I do not see any now though they could be staged off Nicholson.

zimmerproperties.jpg

Correction:  While the Fulton Yard sliver has been fenced off for the past month or so, it is actually the larger Rockett's Landing owned plot that has been cleared.  They may be prepping to demolish the old structures on the property. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, RVA-Is-The-Best said:

Land sale by WVS to real estate investment/management co for that 'Block 8 development' by Rockett's Landing. WVS is still doing the development, ground breaking is evidently imminent and land is being cleared. 6 stories, 199 units.

rocketts1.png

https://richmondbizsense.com/2021/01/12/land-deal-clears-path-for-45m-rocketts-landing-apartment-building/

I had a vision of the Denny St  being re-connected through this site to Main from Williamsburg utilizing a relic from old Fulton - the Denny St underpass on the CSX tracks which is still intact. This project will block that old thoroughfare at least to Main but it was always a pipe dream as that ROW was vacated long ago.  If the industrial north of the tracks were to be redeveloped it could have been nice to see another N-S connection along the old Denny St. route, although I guess the Fulton Yard site A project would have blocked that connection too.  No matter - good to see new development going up on what is a wasted parcel, just not the site layout - and really the massing tbh, I would have preferred.

Edited by whw53
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Icetera said:

The tower site was the lot next to the Pulse station.

Woah @Icetera - the Pulse station on Orleans? news to me, any renderings or other info on this? Would love to see more development fronting Orleans St especially these lots being in the city limits - Speaking of, is there on site activity at any of the Fulton Yard tracts yet? - especially curious about the Orleans portion of this development.

Edited by whw53

43 minutes ago, whw53 said:

Woah @Icetera - the Pulse station on Orleans? news to me, any renderings or other info on this? Would love to see more development fronting Orleans St especially these lots being in the city limits - Speaking of, is there on site activity at any of the Fulton Yard tracts yet? - especially curious about the Orleans portion of this development.

50 minutes ago, wrldcoupe4 said:

Oh ok. I could’ve sworn WVS at one point had planned a 13-14 story tower right at this bend. It’s been a few years. 

I have not seen any recent activity for Fulton Yards.  The Orleans tower referenced was in the original pre-recession plans but has long since dropped from the masterplan.  Since then all plans show the surface lot remaining so perhaps there could still be hope in the future.

I did find this old conceptional rendering  with the current block in question though I believe that one died long before the Orleans lot plan:

1005d_rocketts1_b.jpg
https://info.aia.org/aiarchitect/thisweek07/1005/1005d_rocketts.htm

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Bunch of permit activity this week for the Block 8 apartment site. Development team and planning consultant put in an application to take this parcel to from RF2 to ..... guesses anyone?...well, TOD-1 of course. Also 2 demolition plans were submitted to remove the existing structures on that site. 

rzon4401.jpg

• Thanks 2