Fulton / Rockett's Landing

wrldcoupe4

• 3 weeks later...

9 hours ago, I miss RVA said:

From today's Richmond BizSense: Investors have snapped up some properties on Orleans Street.

https://richmondbizsense.com/2021/02/24/investors-buy-warehouse-properties-on-orleans-street-for-12m/

Would be great to get something to complement the Fulton Yard project about to break ground across the street and to bring Orleans St back to the urban avenue it once was. I would love to see a mix of rowhomes and apartment over commercial bays fronting here. If this is done right, and Rockett's moves on those 2 parking lots down by Conch Republic sometime in near future as well, Orleans could end up being a main street in many ways.

• Like 4

There are some signs of movement on Fulton Yards: A Provisional Use Permit has been submitted to allow commercial and/or office uses utilizing under 25% of the property for the large Eastern piece of land along Old Osborne (labeled "13 Acres" below).

zimmerproperties.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Not entirely sure how to interpret this but Capital Region Land Conservancy has filed for a zoning confirmation clarification for 3011 Dock St. - the site of the long defunct Echo Harbor project. As it remains in private hands it was always a hope that that project would be resurrected in some form but this interest in the parcel by a land conservation group tells me they may have had discussions with the landowner about purchasing  or putting easement agreements on said site. Thoughts?

3011Dock.jpg

3011Dockloc.jpg

Edited by whw53
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/5/2021 at 3:36 PM, whw53 said:

Bunch of permit activity this week for the Block 8 apartment site. Development team and planning consultant put in an application to take this parcel to from RF2 to ..... guesses anyone?...well, TOD-1 of course. Also 2 demolition plans were submitted to remove the existing structures on that site. 

rzon4401.jpg

Block 8 update: The gas station has fallen down.  Any attempts to resuscitate have been futile.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 3 weeks later...
Not entirely sure how to interpret this but Capital Region Land Conservancy has filed for a zoning confirmation clarification for 3011 Dock St. - the site of the long defunct Echo Harbor project. As it remains in private hands it was always a hope that that project would be resurrected in some form but this interest in the parcel by a land conservation group tells me they may have had discussions with the landowner about purchasing  or putting easement agreements on said site. Thoughts?

3011Dock.thumb.jpg.dbb26dc7a86ccd7386de755c2b494e03.jpg
3011Dockloc.thumb.jpg.f4176bea51a776e727ea07fd5132e213.jpg
my fears here are confirmed. City can now study this site on/off over the next 15 years. Ok Agleasto, any private project almost certainly would have provided public riverfront uses and landscaping.

https://richmond.com/news/watch-now-richmond-to-preserve-5-acres-of-riverfront-property-formerly-considered-for-echo-harbor/article_db946518-810f-53dc-b6d1-abdfbb012a3e.html#tracking-source=home-top-story-1

Sent from my SM-A600A using Tapatalk

• Sad 4

I’m not as opposed to this today as I would have been 5-10 years ago. 

I personally liked the private developments that were considered here and back then the area was pretty desolate.  I welcomed new development  and new ways to enjoy the river, especially for the elderly and disabled (the boardwalk concept was good and would have been unique for the area and much more assessable to more people). 

The capital trail/low line and rocket’s have all been more successful than I thought possible.  The area stays busy with cyclists, anglers and strolling couples (and lurking singles...myself not included lol).  The park will actually get used so I see it as a good development. 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Icetera said:

It will certainly be better than a vacant fenced off lot but I still hate the disconnect between Fulton/Rocketts and Shockoe.  With all of the river frontage, Gillies Creek Park, Libby Hill, Chimborazo Park, and Powhatan Hill, we have more than enough green space.  I was hoping to one day see these neighborhoods weaved together and now the only possibility of that is if some magic is pulled off with Fulton Gas Works.  Large areas of inactivity are not the most desirable places to walk through at night.

Well said. I wholeheartedly agree.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 4/29/2021 at 10:04 AM, whw53 said:

I mis-interpreted this zoning action here - this rezoning is not for the Bock 8 project but refers to the parcel directly West of that site referred to in docs as 'Block 6'. The dev map showed the entire 2 parcels as being the Block 8 site but I dont think that is the case now that this rezoning has been introduced to city council and we have more info. (I fixed on dev map). I think RichmondBizSense's site map threw us off at the time.

In short, Rockett's plans to put up a new project and may lay a new (well old) connection between the 2 projects probably along same route as old Denny St - this is how I'm interpreting the site. I dashed the old Denny street ROW that Rockett's plans to restore at least through their portion. Check out some of the applicant's materials and narrative here -

https://richmondva.legistar.com/LegislationDetail.aspx?ID=4924931&GUID=FD507B4F-EB5B-4792-89B1-13511EC4F8D1&Options=&Search=

NewFultonProjects.jpg

Block6App1.jpg

Block6App2.jpg

The rezoning described here was APPROVED by City Council this evening. 

• Thanks 3

1 hour ago, eandslee said:
Wow!  That didn’t take long!

Just to clarify - the rezoning was for Rocketts Block 6, the project at foundation is Rocketts Block 8. We have not yet seen renderings for Block 6 but the 2 projects will be right beside each other. Another exmaple of  a case where having a map item for the rezoning is useful even if it's somewhat preliminary.

Sent from my SM-A600A using Tapatalk

Edited by whw53
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CitiWalker said:

I live near that area. I saw them clearing the land a couple of weeks back. 

2 hours ago, I miss RVA said:

Construction crews must've been on standby, ready to go. 

"Ready... set... BUILD!!!"  (That should be Richmond's new motto for development.)

Yep, foundations began either yesterday or Friday.  Unrelated to zoning change

• Like 3

• 2 months later...