Fulton / Rockett's Landing

wrldcoupe4

Just checked the WRIC8 live cam - view is from Rockett's - and I think the boat on the river IS, in fact, the new pedal boat! I could see the big "drum rotor" at the rear of the vessel turning as the boat sailed upriver. Then I looked up pedal boats and it looks EXACTLY like this example from Buffalo, N.Y.

Check it out!

Screenshot (1899).png

buffalo-pedal-tours-cycle-boat_60DFDD10-1CA4-4337-A865C3728BEC986F_885ce945-80fc-4932-a868913326e44e3b.jpg

• Like 1

Yep -- this HAS to be the pedal boat!  Watching the live feed from the cam in Rockett's, it's clear that the big drum rotor astern is turning.

Looks like they're doing booming business, too. Boat looks to be at full capacity - which is AWESOME to see! Man - I wonder how late in the year/season they'll still be offering excursions?

Screenshot (1901).png

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, I miss RVA said:

The pedal boat looks full again this afternoon. Glad to see them going booming business! :tw_thumbsup:

Looks like they're still out there sailing - maybe getting a mid-evening cruise in. Nice evening with the skyline and dusk. Still looks like they're doing plenty of business, too.  Hmmm... not sure if that's the same boat though. I thought they were listing only one boat operational. Maybe someone else has their own (private?) pedal boat.

I've gotten addicted to watching that Rockett's cam - there were folks on Sea-Doo's zipping around the river earlier today while the pedal boat was inbound back to the marina.

Screenshot (1909).png

Edited by I miss RVA

• 4 weeks later...
22 hours ago, rjp212 said:

What was once the Virginia Department of Transportation Central Warehouse with 21+ acres for redevelopment at 421 Old Osborne Turnpike had an offer deadline of 7/8/22.  I wonder if any offer was accepted.

https://www.divaris.com/properties/?propertyId=989456-sale

It's a pretty robust sized swath of developable land. I'd be curious to know if at some point we might see some large-scale residential or mixed-use development go in here, complimenting Rockett's and Fulton Yard (whenever IT gets built)...

Check it out:

development2.jpg

development1.jpg

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, eandslee said:

Yeah, this is interesting.  I never knew this area was even on the market. It would be great to see some kind of major development there though.

It really whets the appetite for seeing further high-density development in this part of town as something of an "extension" of Rockett's/Fulton into the country. I hope this property will attract a developer with deep pockets and huge plans. Something mixed use with an urban footprint (a la what's already built up in Rockett's) would be fantastic.

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 2

On 7/17/2022 at 9:58 AM, Downtowner said:

Does anyone know if Fulton yards has started construction yet? It said in the most recent rbs article it would begin in late May early June? Do we have a Port a potty sighting or any sign or machinery or materials on that site yet?

Nope, still quiet over here.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, upzoningisgood said:

Challenge here is that land will be filthy and will probably have to be entirely dig up and replaced. That adds a lot of costs.l and limits the buyer pool to be sure.

Very true - the cleanup of that whole swath is going to cost a bundle. All the more reason we need developers with super deep pockets and big plans to come in to redevelop.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Jawless said:

I took this picture of Block 8 today from the Capital Trail. It's hard to capture the scale of this building in a photo, but it feels quite large. Brick is going up on the right side of the building which you can't see in this image. 

IMG_4717.png

Thanks so much for taking and posting! Wow - it really does have quite a bit of size to it.

Do we know when is the second building (next door to the north) is slated to break ground?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jawless said:

I took this picture of Block 8 today from the Capital Trail. It's hard to capture the scale of this building in a photo, but it feels quite large. Brick is going up on the right side of the building which you can't see in this image. 

IMG_4717.png

It’s amazing to see that there are so many projects at what feels like every corner of every turn at all locations across the metro.  

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Hike said:

It’s amazing to see that there are so many projects at what feels like every corner of every turn at all locations across the metro.  

100%, @Hike Fully agreed.

What's even more amazing is that this has been happening now - pretty much unabated - for several years running and not only does it show no time of slowing, it seems to be increasing in pace.

• Like 3

21 hours ago, I miss RVA said:

Do we know when is the second building (next door to the north) is slated to break ground?

On the corner of Nicholson and Main? I didn't realize a second building was already planned there. Is there a rendering? It has a fence around it and they are using it for parking and storage for the current construction.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Jawless said:

On the corner of Nicholson and Main? I didn't realize a second building was already planned there. Is there a rendering? It has a fence around it and they are using it for parking and storage for the current construction.

That's correct - on the corner (Nicholson & Main) - Designated as "Block 6" that parcel is the location of the second building. No renderings so far, but I recall that this second building will be about the same size of the first building, both in terms of number of units and height.

rocketts-block6.png

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Jawless said:

No rendering. A successful rezoning application last year alluded to it in application materials. There will be an internal street between the 2 buildings along the old Denny St ROW and include some retail component.  Discussion is on this thread back some pages. 

Edited by whw53
  • Thanks 1