Fulton / Rockett's Landing

wrldcoupe4

7 minutes ago, ancientcarpenter said:

Excited to hear the news of 12-14 tower but definitely not holding my breath.

This is a very “telling” quote.  It’s unfortunate that economic conditions aren’t there.  Every time we get into an economic high…and we are riding that wave…I’m always thinking in the back of my mind about when is the wave is going to crash.  I don’t think it has to be that way though…there has to be some changes made at the federal level to get things back to economic vitality again in this country.  There always seems to be a crisis that kills the economy.  Some things are clearly out of our control, but there are others, based on policy, that is self-inflicted and keeps the American people begging for government help.  It’s got to stop.  It’s frustrating.  

11 minutes ago, eandslee said:

Some things are clearly out of our control, but there are others, based on policy, that is self-inflicted and keeps the American people begging for government help.  It’s got to stop.  It’s frustrating.  

Not going to blame one or the other or get into politics, but switching parties every 4-8 years and subsequently changing opposing policies back-and-forth would certainly have that effect.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Icetera said:

Not going to blame one or the other or get into politics, but switching parties every 4-8 years and subsequently changing opposing policies back-and-forth would certainly have that effect.

Yes.  True this.  I didn’t want to get into a political discussion either…although I admit I was in the gray area (sorry).  You are right though…the oscillation of policies every 4-8 years is “no bueno” on our economic landscape.  Wish there wasn’t a political connection. 

Edited by eandslee
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, rjp212 said:

Possible 12-14 story building coming to the Rocketts Landing area.  It's fascinating to watch mini skylines develop throughout the area outside of Downtown (Scott's Addition, Manchester, Rocketts Landing, Sauer Center, Monroe Ward, Jackson Ward)

https://richmondbizsense.com/2023/03/28/new-rocketts-landing-section-welcomes-first-residents-developer-eyes-12-to-14-story-tower-next-door/

That's an indication that RVA is finally starting to develop like a real city. It's pretty common that much larger cities nowadays have multiple clusters of skylines. Even Manhattan, if you think about it, has several distinct skylines that are separated by sections of lower-rise buildings. Very exciting to see Richmond potentially getting on board with this!

• Like 3

I'm gonna sound like @wrldcoupe4here, but lets cool our heels just a bit. YES - the current economic uncertainty IS slowing down development, particularly on the back end -- which is where the rubber meets the road (in other words, actual construction). And new projects aren't being announced AS hot and heavy as they once were. But they're STILL being announced!

The mere fact that these developers are even making public plans to build a 12-14 story tower in Rocketts should be an indicator that all hope is not lost, folks. 

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Thanks 1

I think “economic conditions” is just cover..  The market isn’t the same everywhere and plenty of places are booming.  

There will be no recession. It just “sounds” responsible to add the “economic conditions” disclaimer.   Inflation is dropping steadily (and is predicted to be at 1.9% in the next two years) and unemployment remains at historic lows.   If new home construction is down then the price of building materials must also be dropping. 
 Construction is pricking up steam in the burbs and lots of job announcements have been made in the first three months of this year.  All signs point to Richmond continuing to fill in. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

One thing to consider too - market size. RVA STILL has yet to reach the level of market size that would make the current level of economic uncertainty less of a deterrent to developers to push ahead with projects. As we've been schooled by our CRE gurus - the kinds of projects that easily pencil in other cities (and you know the list of usual suspect) don't necessarily pencil in Richmond - OR - at a minimum, they require PRIMO economic conditions for them to pencil.

As metro Richmond grows (and hopefully the stalled population growth in the city with be kickstarted and take off again) - this will no doubt change. It's a process and it's frustrating as hell. Let's see where we are by this time next year. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Flood Zone said:

I don't do the politics, either, but I'm just adding that to some extent we're at the mercy of world economic conditions, too.

image.jpeg.bb141ef41343d36192ac02a46d526058.jpeg THIS!!! ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I'd even argue that it's even to the level of "great extent". And that MUST be factored in. We don't live in isolation - things today happen on a global scale even if it's confined to isolated regions. The downstream ripple effects impact individual countries and specific parts of the world differently - but they impact ALL of us regardless. No amount of policy will change that simple fact. And it's not about politics - nor should it be. 

Let's add one more critical factor: economies are cyclical by their very nature. It's par for the course - the "nature of the beast" so to speak. Economies are like rivers - they ebb and flow, they have currents (trends), there are eddies and backwash. Particularly nowadays on the global scale, we cannot escape the natural cyclical nature of economies and how world events interact with those cycles.

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/13/2023 at 6:52 PM, rjp212 said:

A SUP was filed for 20 Townhomes around Triple Crossing.

More details today on this project in RBS.   One of the commentors said they were ugly, but personally I love the look of them and appreciate a variety of architecture it brings to the market.

FultonCrossing_1.jpg

FultonCrossing_4.jpg

TripleXing2.jpg

They also have a website up now.  https://www.fultoncrossingrva.com/

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, rjp212 said:

More details today on this project in RBS.   One of the commentors said they were ugly, but personally I love the look of them and appreciate a variety of architecture it brings to the market.

FultonCrossing_1.jpg

FultonCrossing_4.jpg

TripleXing2.jpg

Sorry, I know this is my opinion, but these are the ugliest things I've seen.  60s and 70s architecture was never beautiful enough to bring back!  Trust me on this!

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, rjp212 said:

FultonCrossing_1.jpg

FultonCrossing_4.jpg

TripleXing2.jpg

I'm with you - I love the design and the look of this development and really appreciate how the developers have crafted a unique blend of urban and suburban styling to both the buildings and streetscape that's being created - hitting the best of both worlds - which is perfect, given the location at the far southern end of Fulton near the city/county line.

Looking forward to seeing this project take shape.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, eandslee said:

Sorry, I know this is my opinion, but these are the ugliest things I've seen.  60s and 70s architecture was never beautiful enough to bring back!  Trust me on this!

It's all good, my brother. I saw your comment and chuckled. Hey - beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and one person's trash is another person's treasure. 

Just from a personal perspective on the project, I'm a child of the '60s & early '70s - and I was taken back to really good memories of that time when I was growing up, so I had the opposite reaction. Mind you, a LOT of architecture was butt-ugly in the '60s & '70s as was a lot of interior design and style (those chocolate brown and the avocado colors of appliances back then - OMG!) - but in retrospect some of it was a "good" kind of ugly, if there is such a thing. Seeing this project reminded me of when I was little and the style of how things looked then - and I'm good with it. 😊

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, rjp212 said:

We can agree to disagree :silly:

I only say this because I lived through the later part of the 1970s with all the Brady Bunch - style houses and the mustard yellows, olive greens, and muted orange colors, which bled over into the early 1980s...the popular colors of the time were just hideous!  Again, just my opinion, but I never want to see those colors and architecture of that time to return.  :sick:

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, eandslee said:

I only say this because I lived through the later part of the 1970s with all the Brady Bunch - style houses and the mustard yellows, olive greens, and muted orange colors, which bled over into the early 1980s...the popular colors of the time were just hideous!  Again, just my opinion, but I never want to see those colors and architecture of that time to return.  :sick:

And I lived through the mid-late '60s and (obviously) the entirety of the '70s - and I totally relate to what you're saying about the ugliness of quite a bit of the styling from that era. The mustards, olive/avocado, and yes - that God-awful muted orange (sickening!) particularly of home appliances (part of my childhood was spent with a chocolate brown refrigerator - UGH!) -- so I hear where you're coming from.

Dunno - maybe because (as we've established) I'm quite a bit older, I'm happy to travel back to those days and remember how things were when I was a kid - I guess because that time is getting smaller and smaller in the rearview mirror for me. Garish as a lot of those Brady Bunch styles were (and they were!) - going back to that time in my life actually feels good, all things considered. 😂

9 minutes ago, Brent114 said:

I love the design.  Doesn’t looked dated to me, a bit “throwback” but very much current and modern.  Looks like Seattle.  

I love how the developer has "blended" an urban look & feel with a suburban look & feel - kind of a "hybrid" between the two that captures the best of both, which is perfect for this location.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Brent114 said:

I love the design.  Doesn’t looked dated to me, a bit “throwback” but very much current and modern.  Looks like Seattle.  

I agree - the ski cottage vibe up on the hill is style points (extra points for being understated)

• Like 3