Fulton / Rockett's Landing

wrldcoupe4

As of last Sunday, a second tower crane pad has been installed. This will be the tower crane for the Skyline.

Speaking of it, I didnt notice it when I went to Libby Hill last night. Though you do get an amazing view of Rocketts from there! Imagine what it would look like when it's done :w00t:

Some weekday when you're otherwise unoccupied, Tommy, stop by Sally Bell's on Grace Street (700 block west) between Pine and Laurel Streets. Get yourself one of their box lunches (delicious potato salad, deviled egg, cheese cookie, a sandwich and a cup cake) then drive to Libby Hill and have a picnic. It's better if you can share this with a friend or two.

Be sure to take your camera. :)

Last time I was in Richmond, three of us did exactly that, except our picnic was at Maymont.

Edited by burt

One day my aunt wanted to stop by there, but that particular day it was closed. We haven't made a make-up date yet.

On my way to Colonial Heights yesterday evening, I saw what appeared to pieces of the tower crane for the Skyline heading into the direction of Rocketts Landing.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

From a distance, it appears as though The Fall Line condo tower has topped out.

fall_line_big1.jpg

And as an update, Phase I will have about 250 residences, plus some commercial space. In fact, CMSS Architects has opened their Richmond office at Rockett's Landing.

Here's a larger view of the preliminary master plan for Rockett's Landing, though the project has since grown and the specific details and designs will probably change. Phase I is in red:

rocketts_air_new.jpg

Phase I

phaseonevert.jpg

Notice that the ugly white silos near Intermediate Terminal in the city still loom in this rendering. And it does not appear that the river/canal side tract sometimes referred to as Rocketts Wharf west of the silos will be developed.

Notice the curved breakwater forming a sort of lagoon near old Anabel Lee's resting place.

I think my friends have the penthouse to the left on the top of Fall Line.

Edited by burt

The renderings are aged, and the Rockett's people own the land where Rockett's wharf was to be... I fully expect it to be developed, and I expect the concrete silos to come down as well.... When, not sure?

:) I love your enthusiasm, Coupe!

You stay chipper even in face of possible bad news such as 5th and Main Historic District. I always sag a little when I read things like that but you remain hopeful and optimistic.

I really don't see how the 5th and Main historic district would be detrimental to Centennial Towers after reading the details about historic districts on the DHR website. They aren't as restrictive as one might think. :thumbsup:

And Rockett's and the eastern riverfront are a goldmine of opportunity.

Interesting... as I reread the article, it seems that there will actually be 2 new marinas. One with 150 slips that would be for rockett's landing. The other, a city-developed marina nearby.

Both will have to be sturdy enough to withstand floods. Apparently, the further downstream one goes the less flooding one would encounter, so the distance between Richmond city docks and Rocketts might make a difference.

• 3 weeks later...

Today's Style has a street talk item about the $3.5 million item in Wilder's budget which was vetoed by Council. And Wilder's reluctance to describe what the $3.5M would buy validated that veto, IMO. I'll bet a quarter Council would have approved it in a New York minute if they had known it would have rid the waterfront of those unsightly silos, provided a green park and enhanced the extension of Rocketts Landing into the city.

Why did Wilder not explain it before Council met to approve the budget?

Maybe Coupe or Tommy or Guy will link the Style piece. It's an item in Street Talk.

Edited by burt

Of course, of course :D

Wilder’s Park Project Doubled as Developer Perk

The surprise park proposed by Mayor L. Douglas Wilder and shot down by City Council may have served a purpose beyond looking pretty. Wilder said in late June that the $3.5 million he’d asked to be added to the city budget was intended to buy the Lehigh Cement Company’s terminal on Water Street and tear it down to create a park on the riverfront. The park would have become part of the proposed Virginia Capital Trail system, the mayor said. Wilder neglected to mention that the relocation of the cement facility would have doubled as a city-funded perk for developers of Rocketts Landing, the ambitious condominium, town home and retail development that’s beginning to rise on the riverbank.