Fulton / Rockett's Landing

wrldcoupe4

Well this project is progressing incredibly well.....

Just some updates in case people were unaware.

Phase I has 250 condo units and 41 3-4 story townhomes. Sales have been incredibly strong, and with only 1 of the 4 condo towers topped out and not ready for occupation till next year, I'd bet they've sold about 70% of the units they have on the market. I'd have to call to check though.

It will also contain Retail space in Phase I in the 4th condo tower currently being designed.

This project is awesome

Well, let's hope, one way or another, Wilder's and Abelof's plan to extend into Richmond happens. The way I read it, Lehigh Cement is not adverse to relocating. Maybe the matter can be taken up again by Council, now that they know what the money is for, and get quickly approved.

I think it would be a good idea if the single track could be utilized as a feature for Rocketts Landing. The track, carrying a period streetcar, could be imbedded in a new street along the rail alignment east to the center of Rocketts Landing and connect to newly installed rail from the canal bridge west on Dock Street, thru the hole in the flood wall, to 14th Street. It could be a Canal Walk East feature as well, especially since I don't hold out much hope for my ship shops. :)

Edited by burt

• 4 weeks later...

"Rockett-ing Eastward"

Good article on how Rockett's will develop and how it will help transform Richmond's East End...

Also, it appears that demand is still very very strong for the project:

Construction is currently underway on a four-block section of the new development, which includes two modern condominium complexes and renovations on two existing warehouses, but the ultimate future of Rocketts Landing includes the creation of 20 city blocks of mixed-use development including lots of entertainment venues and a wide array of housing options.

Apparently, the idea of a new village in Richmond is pretty popular.

Though not expected to be finished until spring 2007, the Fall Line Condominium Building, which will have a total of 49 units ranging from $275,000 to $1 million-plus, is almost totally contracted out, according to Rocketts Landing sales director Marti A. Cooke. The same goes for most of the 60 units at the neighboring Sky Line building and a majority of the more economical units at the Cedar Works building, which will actually be a renovation of the old Cedar Works Ice Cream Freezer Plant.

Rockett's Landing will grow by 4 blocks every 2 years so that within 10 years, all 20 blocks will be built out into a thriving urban neighborhood.

Sounds like an awesome project. :thumbsup:

I hope this old man is still around 10 years from now to see the finished product. :) Imagine all the activity on Dockwharfwaterash Street when the city extension is finished. I believe a lot of the commercial placement is to be in the City section of Rocketts Landing.

Has anyone heard more about plans for 5000 new homes in Wilton downstream from Rocketts?

I suppose this is as good a place as any to mention that William Abeloff, who was the inspiration for Rocketts Landing, died on Wednesday at his Goochland home. He was 71.

Abeloff was an urbanist with exciting visions for Richmond. He proposed the conversion of Tobacco Row warehouses to residential use at a time when contemporaries thought he was nuts. The Kinney and Cameron buildings in the 2400 and 2500 blocks of East Cary were developed by Abeloff and spurred development of other buildings in the row by Forest City.

He was a mover and shaker and an avid believer in downtown revitalization.

While he had sold his interests in Rocketts Landing, he remained as a consultant to the new developers.

Edited by burt

My friend's duplex penthouse has 3000 square feet of space and a 2000 square foot patio in The Fall Line building. Move-in is May or June.

She said that one penthouse owner has pulled out, but that otherwise sales are going exceptionally well.

There will be a small cinema as well as some retail and restaurants in the Village.

My friend's duplex penthouse has 3000 square feet of space and a 2000 square foot patio in The Fall Line building. Move-in is May or June.

She said that one penthouse owner has pulled out, but that otherwise sales are going exceptionally well.

There will be a small cinema as well as some retail and restaurants in the Village.

Small cinema? Just for residents? And a penthouse ... 3000 sq feet? Wow... the latest house we looked at had 2,329 and this is a penthouse...

I wonder what kind of retail and restaurants...

Ditto Burt.

Wilton just might be dead. But Tree Hill Farm... <_<

Dan Schmitt, president of HHHunt Communities believes that the West End will approach build-out in the next five to 0 years. That is why his company looks to the eastern side of Richmond with their newest development, Wilton on the James, just starting.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Niiiice! I can't wait to see the future phases start to come along!

That tower on the left looks to be at least 15 floors!

When did they decide on those two towers left and right? It looks like there's another tower behind the one on the left, but shorter.

Edited by burt

When did they decide on those two towers left and right? It looks like there's another tower behind the one on the left, but shorter.

Burt, there's one behind the condo tower already being built on the left, Skyline. The one behind Skyline will include the first retail in the project and also have a bit more modern exterior with more glass. It will front Old Main Street. The price point will also be much more affordable... nothing out of the 300's. I believe there will be a parking deck behind it also.