Fulton / Rockett's Landing

wrldcoupe4

It's a wing. There's no room beyond what was planned for that corner and Rocketts is not spreading into CSX land. However, I would love to see CSX give up a lot of their land for big retail. Also along Bickerstaff Rd, which needs to be reconnected after Gaston washed out the bridge over Almond Creek.

I drove by here at lunch today. It appears that the tower crane will be going up a third time, the first section of it is now between the second building that was just topped off and the old brick buildings to the north. could this be the taller building pictured in the new media release?

Honestly, I was kind of confused by this new 15 story or so building shown in the rendering. Originally, there was supposed to be a 6 story or so building where you are talking about. I'm wondering if they made the 6-story building bigger or if the 15 story building is actually another building for a later phase. What I do know is that the building for which the tower crane is being erected will have the first commercial space along the street front at Rockett's Landing.

Honestly, I was kind of confused by this new 15 story or so building shown in the rendering. Originally, there was supposed to be a 6 story or so building where you are talking about. I'm wondering if they made the 6-story building bigger or if the 15 story building is actually another building for a later phase. What I do know is that the building for which the tower crane is being erected will have the first commercial space along the street front at Rockett's Landing.

It must be one stiff crane. :P

(Sorry, I had to)

I drove by here at lunch today. It appears that the tower crane will be going up a third time, the first section of it is now between the second building that was just topped off and the old brick buildings to the north. could this be the taller building pictured in the new media release?

It isn't.

The taller buildings are for the next phase, which will be within Richmond.

That tall tower has nothing to do with the view. It isn't being built at the base of Libby Hill. IT would have a substantial setback from the river as well. If people had a problem with it, then they would also have a problem with the rest of Rockett's in general, and I don't think we've heard anything negative about Rockett's Landing.

That tall tower has nothing to do with the view. It isn't being built at the base of Libby Hill. IT would have a substantial setback from the river as well. If people had a problem with it, then they would also have a problem with the rest of Rockett's in general, and I don't think we've heard anything negative about Rockett's Landing.

Do you mean the future city portion of Rocketts is not practically under Chimborazza Park and Libby Hill - just east of Echo Harbour? I never heard of any high rises along the Intermediate Terminal and Annabelle dock where I have always assumed Rocketts Richmond portion would be.

Or are you agreeing that Shak is wrong about high rises in the city, and that the rendering is correct?

Or am I wrong and that the taller building in the rendering is actually within the city limits?

Edited by burt

Still doesn't look right.

No the tall building is on the south side of Orleans within the area designated for the first phase. The picture is faded because it's not in the foreground. Notice the larger of the original buildings is faded too. It doesn't mean it's a later phase. They did demolish a wing off the lower building quite possibly for the one on the corner and upped its height. It is not in the block bounded by Old Main, Main, and Orleans. And only a few feet of the building would be in the city limits as it follows Orleans.

Courtesy of local.live and Rockettsvillage.com

Rockettssm.jpg

There's enough space for a tower at Orleans and Old Osborne and Orleans stays.

phaseonevert.jpg

They may build a deck instead of having that parking lot.

Edited by Cadeho

• 2 weeks later...

Had dinner last night here in Manhattan with my friend who is moving into Rocketts Landing. She said that she hasn't been out there in a while. When I asked if town house construction had begun she wasn't sure but did say that street layout is underway. She was aware of the high rise plan but said only that it would not block her penthouse view of the skyline because it will be away from the river by the highway. She also said that riverbank trees and vegetation are being removed to prepare for the marina.

I think she said that CSX owned a hunk of land right in the middle of the project and was reluctant to sell, but finally agreed.

When there are so many things to discuss, it is difficult to pin down to one topic. After dinner on the 8th level of the Marquee Marriott, we went downstairs to the Marquee Theatre and saw the very funny musical "The Drowsy Chaperone." Delightful!

She is a big backer of the arts and understands the importance of a theatre in Richmond that can handle the biggest Broadway shows as well as symphony and dance. She has made a considerable contribution in upper five-figures and admits to frustration over delays.

Edited by burt

The crane is completely up in its new location.

The current location for the crane is to build a parking garage. Wrapping around the garage will be more condos. I spoke to an official from Rocketts Landing who told me that the tower will be a the intersection of Old Main and Orleans. Pre-sells for the tower should be starting Spring of 2007. Exact height is unknown.