Fulton / Rockett's Landing

wrldcoupe4

Ugh, I hate my neighbors some days:

"From what I gather however, it appears that the next two acres downstream from Fall Line will be developed with another 28 town homes of 3-4 stories, which certainly would likely impede the downstream views of Rocketts folks on the second and third and maybe 4th floors. 

I'm not sure of what rights adjacent residents have under the process (one of the questions I intend to ask Mr. Kennedy), but I do think the continued density of these townhomes is a problem and makes this project more of a crowded mini-city with minimal infrastructure other than residences and will tax the existing infrastructure, such as the pool, marina, gym, and the absence of a community center."

The last round of townhomes people in 210 Rock complained about losing their river views.  ALL OF THIS HAS BEEN PLANNED SINCE 2007!!  No excuses to anyone buying that was not aware of this.

• 2 months later...

Looks like MBargo closing will work out for the best:

http://richmondbizsense.com/2016/03/22/cafe-chain-docking-at-rocketts-landing/

"Urban Farmhouse Market and Café plans to open in May at 4821 Old Main St. in Rocketts Landing. Owner Kathleen Richardson said she has leased the 3,000-square-foot space, which was previously occupied byMbargo."

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
1 hour ago, Icetera said:

Richmond introduces bill for $8M riverfront revamp

Some details on Dock street relocation and E. Main Street upgrades:

http://www.nbc12.com/story/32338522/richmond-introduces-bill-for-8m-riverfront-revamp

Looks good to me, but I don't frequent that area...what are everyone else's thoughts?

I ride the Capital Trail a lot and would love to see some improved conditions around that section.  They have already done such a great job with the first section of Dock St.  

I wonder how this is going to coincide with the BRT construction, as that is supposed to connect to Rocketts Landing through Dock St. I just checked, it is going to use Main, not Dock. 

If it gives more room for development to connect Tobacco Row and Rocketts Landing, that would be great.  

Edited by RiverYuppy
Wrong info
  • Like 1

^^^ Here is the city website project link: http://www.richmondgov.com/PublicWorks/EastMainDockStreetProject.aspx

And here is a pdf for how it would look from above: Couldn't find the nicer animated one they used in the video. This one juxtaposes the new road on satellite imagery: http://www.richmondgov.com/PublicWorks/documents/Alternate-4_new_aerial-c.pdf

Edited by RVA-Is-The-Best

A lot of this is happening/coinciding with Stone Brewing. They are putting their restaurant right there on Dock Street. From what I understand Dock Street will actually close and you won't be able to drive down it, or at least all the way to main. Stone is currently waiting on this development to finish so that they can begin construction on their Bistro and Gardens. Source: directly from Greg Koch.

Edited by tparkerzut

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

So, Rocketts is moving foward with their growth, saw this today, they bought some adjacent land to continue the construction of townhomes, as well as they are currently constructing a new apartment building.

http://www.richmond.com/business/local/land-sold-to-developers-of-rocketts-landing-project/article_3d2fbf05-3a51-5d91-91ff-feb5c08a52e4.html

Found that they have a blog and it shows a rendering for the new apartment building

http://rockettsvillage.com/blog/01/2017/rocketts-landing-starts-2017-with-new-development-plans

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

What's up with the big industrial warehouse that's for rent right in the middle of Rockett's landing and that other industrial building near the Boathouse?  Seems like really prime residential real estate that isn't really being used for its highest and best use.  

46 minutes ago, jbjust said:

What's up with the big industrial warehouse that's for rent right in the middle of Rockett's landing and that other industrial building near the Boathouse?  Seems like really prime residential real estate that isn't really being used for its highest and best use.  

I believe the developer picked up the blue warehouse once it went vacant.  Since the property was not part of the initial master plan it looks like it will probably be a surface lot for a bit.  The company by Boathouse / Conch appears to have no plans to move any time soon so that may be there for a while, sadly.

11 minutes ago, Icetera said:

I believe the developer picked up the blue warehouse once it went vacant.  Since the property was not part of the initial master plan it looks like it will probably be a surface lot for a bit.  The company by Boathouse / Conch appears to have no plans to move any time soon so that may be there for a while, sadly.

The last time I checked, the blue warehouse had a "For Lease" sign on it. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
1 hour ago, Wahoo 07 said:

I like the update, but I was concerned about the comment made in the article (not sure if anyone else caught it or not), but it was a quote from Thalhimer broker, Jeff Cooke:

"Office space struggles in the middle of downtown..."

Is this really true?  Lately, I've seen office space being gobbled up by companies wanting a downtown presence.  Is this just an excuse for WVS's inability/lack of desire to land an office tenant in their new 12-story (and very ugly) 321 Locks project?  They did mention that office space is not their thing (they are more into residential space) in a previous article.  This makes me wonder if WVS even made a worthwhile effort to land an office tenant to fill space in the previously planned 321 Locks tower when Suntrust backed out.

Sometimes you can glean information about other projects in articles written about a specific project like this one.  Perhaps I'm reading between the lines too much, but there might be a possibility that the reporter is dropping a very subtle hint here.

Edited by eandslee

1 hour ago, eandslee said:

I like the update, but I was concerned about the comment made in the article (not sure if anyone else caught it or not), but it was a quote from Thalhimer broker, Jeff Cooke:

"Office space struggles in the middle of downtown..."

Is this really true?  Lately, I've seen office space being gobbled up by companies wanting a downtown presence.  Is this just an excuse for WVS's inability/lack of desire to land an office tenant in their new 12-story (and very ugly) 321 Locks project?  They did mention that office space is not their thing (they are more into residential space) in a previous article.  This makes me wonder if WVS even made a worthwhile effort to land an office tenant to fill space in the previously planned 321 Locks tower when Suntrust backed out.

Sometimes you can glean information about other projects in articles written about a specific project like this one.  Perhaps I'm reading between the lines too much, but there might be a possibility that the reporter is dropping a very subtle hint here.

I think part of it may be that they are talking about new office space, whereas what we already have on the market is being leased up pretty well, trying to build new seems to be challenging right now.

But you make a good point there about WVS not having a good grasp on the office market. Makes me agree with you that it seems that WVS didn't really put in the effort to land a new commercial client for the locks tower. So, I'd take that quote with a grain of salt.

Great news for Rocketts though, it's such a great development pushing the urban footprint down the river, we just need a good connector development to link it with Shockoe/Tabacco Row.

10 minutes ago, drayrichmond said:

Great news for Rocketts though, it's such a great development pushing the urban footprint down the river, we just need a good connector development to link it with Shockoe/Tabacco Row.

Yeah, it would be great to be able to utilize the Gas Works site, but gee, it might cost too much to get the site to where it can be developable (lots of clean up to do).  Unfortunately, I don't see that parcel being developed until there is nothing out there left to build on.  The clean up costs are going to be too prohibitive for development at this point.

With the new apartments and townhouses coming online, there should be more pent up demand for riders on the new BRT as well!