Fulton / Rockett's Landing

wrldcoupe4

15 minutes ago, eandslee said:

Yeah, it would be great to be able to utilize the Gas Works site, but gee, it might cost too much to get the site to where it can be developable (lots of clean up to do).  Unfortunately, I don't see that parcel being developed until there is nothing out there left to build on.  The clean up costs are going to be too prohibitive for development at this point.

The old Gas Works site is such a shame, it has some cool looking building shells. It is absolutely prohibitively expensive because of the environmental clean up for the site for any sort of use.

But development along the old "echo harbor site" and the few lots around pear street and along main below Libby Hill would go a long way in making the neighborhoods feel more connected! I think it might just be a matter of time for those sites as land in and around Shockoe has pretty much run out.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, drayrichmond said:

The old Gas Works site is such a shame, it has some cool looking building shells. It is absolutely prohibitively expensive because of the environmental clean up for the site for any sort of use.

But development along the old "echo harbor site" and the few lots around pear street and along main below Libby Hill would go a long way in making the neighborhoods feel more connected! I think it might just be a matter of time for those sites as land in and around Shockoe has pretty much run out.

I'm still kind of upset that Echo Harbor was not built.  The NIMBYs killed that one due to their objection on the height.  It's going to be tough to build something there and it be profitable without going tall.  My assumption is that there's just not enough profit margin for a 2-3 story building?  It's really a tough area to develop AND make everyone happy, I'm afraid.

2 hours ago, eandslee said:

I like the update, but I was concerned about the comment made in the article (not sure if anyone else caught it or not), but it was a quote from Thalhimer broker, Jeff Cooke:

"Office space struggles in the middle of downtown..."

Is this really true?

I believe that quote may be in error as the article now refers to "Retail" rather than "Office."

"'Retail space struggles in the middle of downtown,' Cooke said. 'We think this will make a unique office space for somebody.'"

16 minutes ago, Icetera said:

I believe that quote may be in error as the article now refers to "Retail" rather than "Office."

"'Retail space struggles in the middle of downtown,' Cooke said. 'We think this will make a unique office space for somebody.'"

Interesting.  Why would they compare apples to oranges here?  What does retail space have to do with office space?  Why the comparison?  I'm still confused.

40 minutes ago, eandslee said:

Interesting.  Why would they compare apples to oranges here?  What does retail space have to do with office space?  Why the comparison?  I'm still confused.

He was referring to the decision on developing office space rather than retail (he must be from the county).  This makes sense given that most of the retail frontage within Rocketts currently contains offices or amenities.

Full quote: 

"While retail remains an option, Thalhimer brokers Jeff Cooke and associate Amy Broderick said the square-footage of the spaces, and their locations along the riverfront, make them more suitable for use as offices.

'Retail space struggles in the middle of downtown,' Cooke said. 'We think this will make a unique office space for somebody.'"

13 minutes ago, Icetera said:

He was referring to the decision on developing office space rather than retail (he must be from the county).  This makes sense given that most of the retail frontage within Rocketts currently contains offices or amenities.

Full quote: 

"While retail remains an option, Thalhimer brokers Jeff Cooke and associate Amy Broderick said the square-footage of the spaces, and their locations along the riverfront, make them more suitable for use as offices.

'Retail space struggles in the middle of downtown,' Cooke said. 'We think this will make a unique office space for somebody.'"

Ah, I got it now.  Sorry, I was still looking at it from the office space point of view (for some reason I couldn't get that out of my head).  Thanks for slapping me around and helping me see the light! ;)

• Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...

http://www.richmond.com/business/local/rocketts-landing-development-straddling-richmond-henrico-in-full-swing-again/article_a2a1f43d-fd5d-5b16-b48a-0f75f20412f3.html

nice RTD article on active upcoming expansion at border-straddling Rocketts. however all the actively planned developments there are currently on the Henrico side of the county line.  The developers say things are yet to come for the city side (potentially a hotel).

• Like 2

I have often wondered how this development would work out considering that parts of it include the city and the county of Henrico.  Are there any tax benefits for the developer or resident to be located in one jurisdiction over the other?  Also, I have wondered if the Richmond or Henrico side of the development would do better due to certain laws, cheaper taxes, etc.

• 1 year later...
4 hours ago, rjp212 said:

Someone had mentioned this a few months back but I can’t seem to find the thread, but a developer is under contract to purchase the CSX land near Rocketts Landing.  

https://richmondbizsense.com/2019/06/10/csx-owned-land-near-rocketts-contract-developer/

What shocked me the most was when I was looking at the map, Tree Hill Farm is still on the table. I though that interest was dead YEARS ago.

31 minutes ago, vaceltic said:

The development near Rockets Landing will be called Fulton Yards. Video renderings provided in the link below. 

Looks like the developer will provide significant upgrades to the overhead train tressel and Virginia Capital Trail connections for visitors - both wins if the City and County approve rezoning requests. 

Deserving of its own thread?

https://richmondbizsense.com/2019/06/13/developer-plans-fulton-yard-project-csx-property-near-rocketts-landing/

I think it should get it's own thread. I'm excited for this and it looks like they are very serious. It is still a lot of surface parking, but I'll take it. When we lived at Rocketts in 2010-2013 there was not much around there and it felt so disconnected, this will do a lot to tie it into the city more and give it more retail options other than the 3 restaurants.

• Like 3

Project looks awesome and I hope it passes. However, I disagree with getting its own thread.  We already have far too many dead threads and not enough commenters.  The threads should be organized by neighborhood, and leave the massive projects to individual threads. We could simply change this to Rocketts Landing/Fulton Yards.   The busier the topics look, the more likely people will come to our board and participate in conversation.  If a lot of people are commenting on a certain topic, it becomes a “hot topic” and recognized more on the overall Urbanplanet main forum.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

34 minutes ago, Seaboard Fellow said:

As someone who works at Fulton Yard for CSX, I couldn’t be more excited! 

Your work is my view!  I am definitely excited about this, assuming the municipalities do not screw it up.  Granted, getting out of here in the morning is already rough so traffic planning is going to be a big issue I am sure.

I think rather than giving Fulton Yard its own thread we can rename this one as Rockett's Landing / Fulton Yards.  I really need to add some updates from Rockett's as it is blowing up now.

Edited by Icetera

20 minutes ago, Icetera said:

Your work is my view!  I am definitely excited about this, assuming the municipalities do not screw it up.  Granted, getting out of here in the morning is already rough so traffic planning is going to be a big issue I am sure.

I really applaud the developers for pursuing this, the field next to Fulton Yard(CSX) that fronts Orleans Street is bisected by Richmond and Henrico. That has been an issue for many past prospective buyers. 

I always oftentimes wish for a bridge across the James River to Manchester & I-95 at this location.  A bridge at this location would help to mitigate the traffic impact on Dock St and Main St. as this area continues to develop. Unfortunately I know it will never happen.  

Edited by Seaboard Fellow
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...
56 minutes ago, rjp212 said:

Planned office building along the waterfront near Rocketts Landing.  Not sure if these are for massing or the actual renderings.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Well this is a bit of a surprise, though it appears to be just an example for build-to-suit usage.  Found some more info:

https://www.loopnet.com/Listing/4500-Old-Main-St-Richmond-VA/16735046/

https://images1.loopnet.com/d2/99dL7cPPyKWnBCciwbor5xpc0IDOgGavnY-n9pi5QbY/document.pdf

image.jpg

• Like 1

Nice, it looks like there are two proposed office buildings.  The 60,000sqft one shown in the above posts.  Also a 21,000sqft one on the East side of that retail.

Ideally people who work there would be more interested in living Downtown or in Shockoe, which would be good for apartments in those areas.

16 hours ago, RiverYuppy said:

Nice, it looks like there are two proposed office buildings.  The 60,000sqft one shown in the above posts.  Also a 21,000sqft one on the East side of that retail.

Ideally people who work there would be more interested in living Downtown or in Shockoe, which would be good for apartments in those areas.

The original plans included more office sites so this represents a shift down ultimately but the advertising for that particular location is new.  On the very Southern end they were aiming for a large medical oriented office building, now they just built new town-homes (and sold through them fast!).  Given that Rocketts has had office sites advertised for years I am not particularly optimistic of seeing anything in the near future.  The other potential new development is also looking into a few office sites so it would be interesting to watch the area diversify more beyond Brown Greer, RAWLS, and a few smaller offices.

Foundation work for the new apartment building is well under way so I am curious to see how quickly the rest of the residential projects will come to life.  Rocketts has really gotten back into full swing over the past couple years after coming to a near halt post recession.

image.thumb.png.c8e69fd0ee8f862f84f1c959ab8abca2.png

• Like 3