I-540 Exit Delays in Northwest Arkansas

Mith242

Parsons Transportation Group recently released the results of a study done on 19 exits on I-540 in northwest Arkansas. Here are the top six exits with delays.

Exit 86, Arkansas 102/Hwy 62, Bentonville

Exit 62, Hwy 62, Fayetteville

Exit 72, Hwy 412, Springdale

Exit 64, Hwy 16, Fayetteville

Exit 85, Hwy 71 Business, Rogers

Exit 88, Hwy 72, Bentonville

Unfortunately I couldn't find any numbers with each exit, but they are ranked with the top having the most delays.

If anyone has noticed, instead of lumping everything under the Fayetteville topic I've decided to break these into seperate topics to make it easier to see and find.

• 2 months later...

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Parsons Transportation Group recently released the results of a study done on 19 exits on I-540 in northwest Arkansas. Here are the top six exits with delays.

Exit 86, Arkansas 102/Hwy 62, Bentonville

Exit 62, Hwy 62, Fayetteville

Exit 72, Hwy 412, Springdale

Exit 64, Hwy 16, Fayetteville

Exit 85, Hwy 71 Business, Rogers

Exit 88, Hwy 72, Bentonville

Unfortunately I couldn't find any numbers with each exit, but they are ranked with the top having the most delays.

If anyone has noticed, instead of lumping everything under the Fayetteville topic I've decided to break these into seperate topics to make it easier to see and find.

Yeah, 102 is bad, especially around rush-hours.

I wonder if those places will change once the new Perry Road Interchange is completed.

Part of Perry Road leading off the new interchange is supposed to have 9 lanes !!!! They said that the intersection with the 9-lane Perry Road, and Future Hospital Boulevard aorund (5 or 6 lanes) is supposed to be the largest intersection in the State of Arkansas!!!

What's the biggest road in Little Rock in terms of lanes, because I don't think I have ever even heard of a road in Arkansas having 7 lanes.

I wonder if those places will change once the new Perry Road Interchange is completed.

Part of Perry Road leading off the new interchange is supposed to have 9 lanes !!!! They said that the intersection with the 9-lane Perry Road, and Future Hospital Boulevard aorund (5 or 6 lanes) is supposed to be the largest intersection in the State of Arkansas!!!

What's the biggest road in Little Rock in terms of lanes, because I don't think I have ever even heard of a road in Arkansas having 7 lanes.

None do, University is supposed to be widened to this. Poor city planning led to roads too narrow to widen to 6 or more lanes in LR.

The city of Rogers, just expressed interest in wanting to widen the Pleasant Grove overpass to up to 8 Lanes!!! Want, no, more like needs. The city says that this next to the Perry Road Interchange is the most important road project in the city.

With the Wal-Mart Supercenter up an running along the street, and Arvest Bank, other projects expected to be put along the road in the next 2 or so years are

1) A 1.2 million square foot mall with power center and lifestyle center called Pleasant Crossing.

2) 130 acre mixed used development called the Grove including retail, condos, restaurant space, planned units

3) Tuscany Square development including a Sports Clips and Starbucks

4) Center Pointe mixed used development with Walgreens, condos, retail, restaurant around 50 or so acres

5) 150 acre sister project to Pleasant Crossing

I can't even imagine what Pleasant Grove Road is going to look like in 5 or so years. Right now, it's nothing but grass and farmland, but it will soon be an office, retail, and restaurant mecca. Also, all of these developers are working together by making a lot of the buildings brownish and white.

It's a great day to live in Northwest Arkansas!!!

8-9 lanes don't work well, too many cars get trapped and can't get over to turn left or right. Even in Dallas you don't see arterials build larger than 7 lanes because of this. I live near a large arterial, Northwest Highway, which probably carries as much traffic as I-540 does through NWA and it is only 6 lanes.

But it's not only being used as a road for development. It also is serving as a connector road between I-540 and US-71B. With completion, double and triple turn lanes will be put in place around intersections on Pleasant Grove Road. I do agree that 8 lanes is a little large and is somewhat intemidating. But if double and triple turn lanes are in place, i do believe that it will be functional.

It will be interesting to see. I don't believe there is anything else that big in Arkansas. Although I do wonder if Aporkalypse is right and that making it that big will cause problems with people trying to quickly get over into other lanes. Hopefully they'll try to plan it out better than what it sounds like it might be. But yes it is very odd to hear about the developments and they are still just fields now. Northwest Arkansas and Rogers in particular will look very different 10 years from now.

It will be interesting to see. I don't believe there is anything else that big in Arkansas. Although I do wonder if Aporkalypse is right and that making it that big will cause problems with people trying to quickly get over into other lanes. Hopefully they'll try to plan it out better than what it sounds like it might be. But yes it is very odd to hear about the developments and they are still just fields now. Northwest Arkansas and Rogers in particular will look very different 10 years from now.

What do you see being the dominant factor in each city in Northwest Arkansas in the Future?

In terms of:

retail, restaurants, malls

"Downtown Urban feel"

Housing and Population numbers

Infastructure

Tourism

Manufacturing Blue Collar Crowd

What do you see being the dominant factor in each city in Northwest Arkansas in the Future?

In terms of:

retail, restaurants, malls

"Downtown Urban feel"

Housing and Population numbers

Infastructure

Tourism

Manufacturing Blue Collar Crowd

Hmmm...interesting question. I can see Fayetteville going more to tourism. I'm surprised that northwest Arkansas hasn't gone after tourism a little more than they have. It's a nice area of the state and we're also next door to many of the nicer areas of the Ozarks. Springdale obviously has the blue collar crowd down. But I think Springdale needs to try to be more than just this. Or people will simply just think of it as a bedroom community and such. I know some people have tried revamping their downtown area and nothing seems to have worked so far. I think they will need to further improve their image and control their growth and development better than what they have done. I think Rogers will have the best chance at trying for a urban feel. Fayetteville may be bigger but I'm not sure if many people in Fayetteville want the city to go in that direction. Obviously most of the growth is now taking place in Benton County and it has passed up Washington County in population not too long ago. Although Fayetteville and Springdale still remain the two largest cities. But Benton County has better land for development. Infrastructure I think will continue to cause problems for all of northwest Arkansas for years to come.

Hmmm...interesting question. I can see Fayetteville going more to tourism. I'm surprised that northwest Arkansas hasn't gone after tourism a little more than they have. It's a nice area of the state and we're also next door to many of the nicer areas of the Ozarks. Springdale obviously has the blue collar crowd down. But I think Springdale needs to try to be more than just this. Or people will simply just think of it as a bedroom community and such. I know some people have tried revamping their downtown area and nothing seems to have worked so far. I think they will need to further improve their image and control their growth and development better than what they have done. I think Rogers will have the best chance at trying for a urban feel. Fayetteville may be bigger but I'm not sure if many people in Fayetteville want the city to go in that direction. Obviously most of the growth is now taking place in Benton County and it has passed up Washington County in population not too long ago. Although Fayetteville and Springdale still remain the two largest cities. But Benton County has better land for development. Infrastructure I think will continue to cause problems for all of northwest Arkansas for years to come.

Interesting.

I do agree with you on your comments about Fayetteville going more Tourism. Lovely and beautiful city, I thik that Fayetteville could go for a more urban feel. The Mountain Inn Projects, and all of those nice condo projects in your city could start a revelation.

Benton County does have good land for development. The problem is coordination between developers. As I have stated, some of these developers don't care about the future urban feel of Northwest Arkansas. They want their project to stand out and look better than all the other ones. I'm hoping more progress is takin in zoning problems.

I really have started to see a very small urban core begin to form in Rogers just off exit 85 (A.K.A. Pinnacle Hills). There's quite a few large buildings going up right now. Since I last drove by there, two 3-story buildings have began construction with steel work going on. Pinnacle has stated that this area is going to be the premier address for Northwest Arkansas. I hope they go with that attitude. Around that area I have seen land, especially around the future 9-story Mercy Health Hospital along Hospital Boulevard that would go perfect for Highway Commercial Zoning and Higher.

As with Springdale, they are growing at an alarming rate, yet all they have is chicken plants and residential office. In my opinion, residential office will be the death of Tall skyscrappers in the area. They seem to flood the area in each city. I can see Springdale continuing wiht large population growth, and hopefully the proposed minor league baseball stadium can get going with the arena, which will boost tourism and retail figures there. If that is built, I can see Springdale gaining more retail projects, yet still laging behind Rogers and Fayetteville.

Interesting.

I do agree with you on your comments about Fayetteville going more Tourism. Lovely and beautiful city, I thik that Fayetteville could go for a more urban feel. The Mountain Inn Projects, and all of those nice condo projects in your city could start a revelation.

Benton County does have good land for development. The problem is coordination between developers. As I have stated, some of these developers don't care about the future urban feel of Northwest Arkansas. They want their project to stand out and look better than all the other ones. I'm hoping more progress is takin in zoning problems.

I really have started to see a very small urban core begin to form in Rogers just off exit 85 (A.K.A. Pinnacle Hills). There's quite a few large buildings going up right now. Since I last drove by there, two 3-story buildings have began construction with steel work going on. Pinnacle has stated that this area is going to be the premier address for Northwest Arkansas. I hope they go with that attitude. Around that area I have seen land, especially around the future 9-story Mercy Health Hospital along Hospital Boulevard that would go perfect for Highway Commercial Zoning and Higher.

As with Springdale, they are growing at an alarming rate, yet all they have is chicken plants and residential office. In my opinion, residential office will be the death of Tall skyscrappers in the area. They seem to flood the area in each city. I can see Springdale continuing wiht large population growth, and hopefully the proposed minor league baseball stadium can get going with the arena, which will boost tourism and retail figures there. If that is built, I can see Springdale gaining more retail projects, yet still laging behind Rogers and Fayetteville.

I also agree. I do hope the sports complex in Springdale goes forward. We already have the Razorbacks here in Fayetteville and Springdale could use something to help give the city some identity. Aporkalypse has pointed out Springdale's problem with zoning before. I do believe this has hurt Springdale quite a bit. I do think some denser more urban areas will occur but I don't necessarily think it will happen overnight. I guess it's more of a question of when it will happen. I also imagine not having one single urban core will also slow the process down. Northwest Arkansas is and will be a great place, but it's just not going to have a skyline like Little Rock. Except for in a distant future perhaps.

I also agree. I do hope the sports complex in Springdale goes forward. We already have the Razorbacks here in Fayetteville and Springdale could use something to help give the city some identity. Aporkalypse has pointed out Springdale's problem with zoning before. I do believe this has hurt Springdale quite a bit. I do think some denser more urban areas will occur but I don't necessarily think it will happen overnight. I guess it's more of a question of when it will happen. I also imagine not having one single urban core will also slow the process down. Northwest Arkansas is and will be a great place, but it's just not going to have a skyline like Little Rock. Except for in a distant future perhaps.

We all probably won't have a single urban core,but that doesn't mean that 2 urban cores (smaller) are bad. If populations continue to grow, who knows that one of those urban cores in the area will pass up Little Rock. I think that if the land is available, developers will work more together in the future and metro's will begin to form.

We all probably won't have a single urban core,but that doesn't mean that 2 urban cores (smaller) are bad. If populations continue to grow, who knows that one of those urban cores in the area will pass up Little Rock. I think that if the land is available, developers will work more together in the future and metro's will begin to form.

Maybe it's a possibility far down the road. But I don't see an urban core developing up here that could challenge Little Rock for a long time. Who knows you could even end up with the possibility of a merger between Little Rock and North Little Rock. Which could even help focus more attention on their urban core.

Maybe it's a possibility far down the road. But I don't see an urban core developing up here that could challenge Little Rock for a long time. Who knows you could even end up with the possibility of a merger between Little Rock and North Little Rock. Which could even help focus more attention on their urban core.

I think Little Rock and North Little Rock are focusing more on their urban core as a whole. Look at all the condo projects in the Little Rock forum and you'll see all of these projects going along the Arkansas River in both Little Rock and North Little Rock.

I think Little Rock and North Little Rock are focusing more on their urban core as a whole. Look at all the condo projects in the Little Rock forum and you'll see all of these projects going along the Arkansas River in both Little Rock and North Little Rock.

Yes they do seem to be doing a good job working together in some aspects even though there isn't much talk of merging the two cities. I think northwest Arkansas could learn a lesson from them. But I guess it is more complicated up here. You have four cities instead of just two and you also have two counties involved and not just one.

Yes they do seem to be doing a good job working together in some aspects even though there isn't much talk of merging the two cities. I think northwest Arkansas could learn a lesson from them. But I guess it is more complicated up here. You have four cities instead of just two and you also have two counties involved and not just one.

And you also have cities like Cave Springs, Elm Springs, Farmington, Elkins, Centerton, Springtown, Bethel Heights, Johnson, Little Flock, Lowell, and Centerton.

And you also have cities like Cave Springs, Elm Springs, Farmington, Elkins, Centerton, Springtown, Bethel Heights, Johnson, Little Flock, Lowell, and Centerton.

Perhaps that's another possibility. Having smaller towns merge with some of the main cities up here. Not that it would have as big of an impact as merging two of the main cities up here. But could help centralize things up here in the future.

Perhaps that's another possibility. Having smaller towns merge with some of the main cities up here. Not that it would have as big of an impact as merging two of the main cities up here. But could help centralize things up here in the future.

That's true, because a lot of these smaller cities can't afford to pay for infastructure and projects. If they did merge with larger cities, than that land could become developed and more centralized.

Some small cities will take almost anything that comes to them (retail, restaurants, etc), so if they merge with a larger city, than zoning issues could be solved.

That's true, because a lot of these smaller cities can't afford to pay for infastructure and projects. If they did merge with larger cities, than that land could become developed and more centralized.

Some small cities will take almost anything that comes to them (retail, restaurants, etc), so if they merge with a larger city, than zoning issues could be solved.

It would certainly help, but I'm not sure how big of an effect it would have on the whole region. Obviously having a bigger merger with say two of the main cities would have a bigger effect and would help unify the area.

It would certainly help, but I'm not sure how big of an effect it would have on the whole region. Obviously having a bigger merger with say two of the main cities would have a bigger effect and would help unify the area.

If something like a merger between Lowell and Rogers happened, than land designated around the Interstate would be better planned and coordinated. You don't want to build high-rises next to homes. It could be better for Urban planning in the future.

If something like a merger between Lowell and Rogers happened, than land designated around the Interstate would be better planned and coordinated. You don't want to build high-rises next to homes. It could be better for Urban planning in the future.

I would like to see Johnson merge with Springdale. I wish it would merge with Fayetteville, but because of the gated communities in Johnson, it could not merge into Fayetteville. I think it is pretty ridiculous that Fayetteville doesn't allow gated communities. There is a lot of great land nextt to 1-540 that is in Johnson. The office complexes being built on the north east side of the interstate is a great addition to building up the I-540 corridor.

I would like to see Johnson merge with Springdale. I wish it would merge with Fayetteville, but because of the gated communities in Johnson, it could not merge into Fayetteville. I think it is pretty ridiculous that Fayetteville doesn't allow gated communities. There is a lot of great land nextt to 1-540 that is in Johnson. The office complexes being built on the north east side of the interstate is a great addition to building up the I-540 corridor.

True, Johnson does have some nice potential land along I-540. But as far as gated communities are concerned I think they are coming under attack in other cities as well. Although I don't know if any other cities have taken as strong of a stance as Fayetteville.

True, Johnson does have some nice potential land along I-540. But as far as gated communities are concerned I think they are coming under attack in other cities as well. Although I don't know if any other cities have taken as strong of a stance as Fayetteville.

I know that Bentonville considered putting a ban on gated communities, but that was turned down I think yet they still have an opposition against them. That is a great office complex going up, isn't it called Clear Creek Development or something like that, that is supposed to have a lot of 4 story office buildings.

I know that Bentonville considered putting a ban on gated communities, but that was turned down I think yet they still have an opposition against them. That is a great office complex going up, isn't it called Clear Creek Development or something like that, that is supposed to have a lot of 4 story office buildings.

I guess it's hard to say if anyone else will take Fayetteville's stance on this. Fayetteville is known for doing things that other cities in Arkansas would never do. There might be opposition for gated communities in other cities but I'm not sure if anyone else would actually ban them though.

Archived