What type of Architecture do you want

Mith242

I traveled up to Rogers recently to see how developments were coming along and see what's new. On my drive on I-540 I noticed some sleek modern all glass office buildings in a couple of areas. It seemed a little odd because at the moment they are out in the middle of nowhere. I'm sure as more development takes place they won't seem to stick out as oddly. But this led me to think about architecture in general. There were designs of a new tower in Little Rock posted in another topic. Does anyone have any preferences on what type of architecture you'd want to see in your city or Arkansas in general? Classical, Art Deco, Modern, Post Modern? Just thought I'd see if anyone had anything to say on this subject.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hmmm...anyone have any suggestions at all? Either a style you like or maybe something that you'd like to see in your city or in Arkansas in general?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I only prefer modern architecture if the the construction is expensive or quality enough to be an impressive structure. I don't like it when new builings have modern elements, but are done cheaply. They date really badly, and are unattractive. I really like cutting edge modern buildings though, because they portray progressiveness. Really, you can't go wrong with classical architecture. Keep unimportant buildings simple with attractive brick, or other elements.

I'm not aware that Art Deco is very alive today as a style. Isn't Art Deco just what was the modern style in the 1920s and 1930s? I think the finest example of what the Art Deco style can be is the Chrysler Building in New York. I don't recall seeing any buildings of this style that were built after the 1920s and 1930s.

I only prefer modern architecture if the the construction is expensive or quality enough to be an impressive structure. I don't like it when new builings have modern elements, but are done cheaply. They date really badly, and are unattractive. I really like cutting edge modern buildings though, because they portray progressiveness. Really, you can't go wrong with classical architecture. Keep unimportant buildings simple with attractive brick, or other elements.

I'm not aware that Art Deco is very alive today as a style. Isn't Art Deco just wht was the modern style in the 1920s and 1930s? I think the finest example of what the Art Deco style can be is the Chrysler Building in New York. I don't recall seeing any buildings of this style that were built after the 1920s and 1930s.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Good ol' Arkansawyer here to bail out my topic. I have seen some buildings done in a style that reflects art deco. Not that I've seen any here in Arkansas. I was just trying to throw out some styles to get people thinking. I do enjoy modern architecture although I wouldn't say I think it should be put just anywhere. I must admit classical style architecture doesn't do much for me. I'm not sure what kind of style I'd prefer for Fayetteville, but I would like to have something like a white limestone or white concrete. Anyone seem some of the 'organic' styles of Gaudi or Calatrava?

Archived