thoughts for an urban wedding?

pesphoto

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Meg and I are always trying to talk up the idea of a small low-key, low-cost wedding. I think there were about 15 people in attendance at ours -- but everyone who was there says it was the best wedding they've ever been to, and not just because it was us! :rolleyes:

Unfortunately, most people are "required" to put on a big show, make a spectacle of themselves, and spend 1/4 the cost of a house, just to get hitched. I don't get it....

Urb -- http://www.kafalas.com/photoalb.htm

mostly the big elaborate wedding...it just seems like such an industrial endeavour now, with crazy expectations and "out-doing" of the last wedding you went to and what not...not to mention the ridiculous amounts of cash. it seems like the point gets a little lost...

at the same time, I am not opposed to marriage - but I do think you can be fully committed and together without getting the official stamp of approval of the state and church...

a former employer of mine had a quaker wedding followed by a big picnic and had an epic family/friends softball game out in the country...I've always thought that was a pretty awesome idea for a wedding...

the problem with avoiding the "stamp of approval" by the state is you lose out on lots of government benefits.

i'm not doing the whole elaborate thing to outdo anyone, i'm doing it because i do enjoy classy affairs (although i don't really consider myself a high class person). so we think it'll be fun to have a classy wedding.

I haven't read the preceeding conversations but this is in answer to the topic title, "thoughts for an urban wedding".

These people had a guerilla wedding in NYC as shown in this video (takes a while to load). It's one of the more unique weddings that I have ever seen in an urban environment. It kinda puts things into perspective.

I haven't read the preceeding conversations but this is in answer to the topic title, "thoughts for an urban wedding".

These people had a guerilla wedding in NYC as shown in this video (takes a while to load). It's one of the more unique weddings that I have ever seen in an urban environment. It kinda puts things into perspective.

Hey, no worries -- and it does sound like you're planning a good time to be had by all. Can we come? :whistling:

Ours was, admittedly, kind of a special situation -- my relatives are all on the coasts, but Meg and I were living in the Chicago area at the time. For complicated reasons I won't go into, we wanted to keep it to a small gathering of a few people who had become very important in our life, for reasons other than being related. No one got an invite just because we "had" to invite them -- everyone was there for a reason.

Anyhow, it worked out that it was a heartfelt gathering, and very low-stress for everyone involved (not least of whom our bankers!). Plenty of time to talk to everyone, socialize, and all that. My one regret was that we didn't have music -- I was going to hire a piano player, but it turned out the the on-site piano needed some work, and it didn't occur to me until later that I could have rented a digital piano (or, for that matter, that a lot of piano players carry their own these days).

It convinced me that smaller is better. On the other hand, if everyone thought that way, my main source of musical income, back when I played a lot of music, would have dried up! Um, you are hiring a band, I trust?

Urb

if we do brunch, it's everyone pays for themselves. i talked to her last ngiht about not doing it. it's not going to be a planned thing. we're gonna give everyone a bunch of suggestions and tell those who we really want with us where we're planning on going. if others join us, that's fine. she wants to have her close friends at it with her because she doesn't see them very often and obviously our parents would join us. we also don't plan on getting to brunch until about noon, she's fine with that as well. :)

for our pictures, we'll probably do some at prospect park, some at burnside park, she wants to do some at the statehouse, and then obviously at the biltmore. i think we can fit it all in. the photographer we're going with seems to be really on top of things.

as for the barnsider, it was good, but nothing special. i really liked hemenway's, and i love the food at bravo. someone mentioned to me last night that he's seen trinity booked for private events... that would be my dream rehearsal dinner... of course she disagrees a bit on that option. :dontknow:

Archived