Arkansas Queen Riverboat

arkansas_buff

The Arkansas Queen Riverboat will offer sightseeing and dining cruises beginning March 1, 2006. The boat will sail on the beautiful Arkansas River featuring the riverfronts of Little Rock and North Little Rock.

Anyone have more details than me about this? I know Ft. Smith already has something like this in place. Are they just moving that boat to LR/NLR?

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wasnt aware that river boats were popular in Arkansas, that seems like a great thing for everyone. I love trips on thr Delta Queen or the Natchez in the lower Mississippi area. Glad to hear it is going on in other areas of the south

It's news to me, so I can't answer your question. Where did you hear about it? Its name seems to imply that it covers the the Arkansas River, not just around Little Rock. I hope it is familiar to the Mississippi Queen, which travels along the Southern portion of the Mississippi River. It makes stops in several historic cities, including Helena, and allows the passengers time to explore the cities. The major cities along the Arkansas River in our state are Fort Smith, Little Rock, and Pine Bluff. I'm sure it could find some charming smaller towns at which to stop.

It doesn't seem that a tour like this would make much sense going to other states due to the great distances between cities, and, I shall say, scenery not up to par with the Natural State. :grin:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Saw it on littlerock.com... one of my favorite websites. I should make a list of AR websites I visit often (many of them daily).

The Arkansas Queen Riverboat will offer sightseeing and dining cruises beginning March 1, 2006. The boat will sail on the beautiful Arkansas River featuring the riverfronts of Little Rock and North Little Rock.

Anyone have more details than me about this?  I know Ft. Smith already has something like this in place.  Are they just moving that boat to LR/NLR?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Can't say I've heard any news of this either. Arkansawyer mentioned the possibility of it traveling to other cities on the Arkansas River. Any idea if this is just going to be for the Little Rock metro area?

I wasnt aware that river boats were popular in Arkansas, that seems like a great thing for everyone. I love trips on thr Delta Queen or the Natchez in the lower Mississippi area. Glad to hear it is going on in other areas of the south

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't think there are a huge amount of them in Arkansas but yes river boats do have a history here too. At least on the Arkansas River, not sure if any other river is big enough to have any. I'm not anywhere close to the Arkansas River personally but I would like to see cities on the Arkansas River use it more to their advantage. Aside from barge traffic I don't always think some cities think much when it comes to the river.

The lock and dam system may make it difficult to travel between cities along the Arkansas, though riverfront cruises in Little Rock would be nice and I'd certainly go on one.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah I don't know if it would be very cost effective for it to travel around very much. Besides it would seem easier if most people would just go see it in the Little Rock area. The only sizeable city on the Arkansas River that isn't a short convenient drive would be Ft Smith. It sounds like they might already have something already anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

Nice pics, have you had an opportunity to actually be on it?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No. To be honest... I've never been to Tunica. I'm not a gambling man. It doesn't seem to be as large as the General Jackson in Nashville. That boat ride was pretty nice. I noticed on the website that they do Gospel Music cruises. Wonder how that would be listening to gospel music at the bar???

• 2 months later...

Archived