Jonesboro Developments

arkansas_buff

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Mall at Turtle Creek in Jonesboro will have it's grand opening March 29, 2006.

Target and J.C. Penney are already open there.

Guess I hadn't realized it's opening that soon. Maybe one of our northeast Arkansas forumers can tell us about it when it opens.

Guess I hadn't realized it's opening that soon. Maybe one of our northeast Arkansas forumers can tell us about it when it opens.

I didn't know it was opening that soon either...I just happened to see that on their website.

They also listed out about 50 or so tenants and said more would be announced soon.

http://www.mallatturtlecreek.com

Has the Kohls or Dillards opened yet also?

Dillard's has not opened yet...Kohl's is not going to be part of the mall project.

Plans developed by BA Engineering of Nashville, Tenn., and Associated Engineering and Testing of Jonesboro indicate that Kohl's and an unidentified 23,000-square-foot future retail store would be located just south of Lowe's on Fair Park Boulevard. It would be located just north of Ima's Fashions, which recently constructed a store on Fair Park.

It's freakishly rare to see a new indoor mall open these days. They haven't been faring well nationally.

Didn't Jonesboro already have a mall? What's becoming of it?

It's going to be the only enclosed mall to be opened in 2006. I believe it will do well...those people in Jonesboro have been starving for a good mall for quite some time. It's going to be very nice...they say with an indoor mall with an outdoor mainstreet look and feel. It's supposed to be the only one of its kind in the U.S. Jonesboro does have a mall, but it's very small and not very nice at all. The Pines in Pine Bluff is better than Jonesboro's Indian Mall. Indian Mall is owned by the same comp. that owns Central Mall in Fort Smith and Texarkana...but those two malls are even better than Indian Mall.

It's going to be the only open-air mall to be opened in 2006.

Huh? Almost all malls these days are open-air and not indoor. I know of a couple down here that will open next year.

I believe it will do well...those people in Jonesboro have been starving for a good mall for quite some time. It's going to be very nice...they say with an indoor mall with an outdoor mainstreet look and feel. It's supposed to be the only one of its kind in the U.S. Jonesboro does have a mall, but it's very small and not very nice at all. The Pines in Pine Bluff is better than Jonesboro's Indian Mall. Indian Mall is owned by the same comp. that owns Central Mall in Fort Smith and Texarkana...but those two malls are even better than Indian Mall.

Good, NE Arkansas needs some kind of retail center. Hopefully it will spur development around it. Now for God's sake, allow liquor by the drink and Jonesboro can become a nice regional center.

I guess I just don't usually consider outdoor shopping areas 'malls'. But that's just me. I imagine it will probably be something a little like one of the developments going on in Rogers right now.

These days projects like the one in Rogers and the Pleasant Ridge shopping center in West LR are the trend. Enclosed malls are expensive and difficult to access and because of this stores often prefer retail sites outside of enclosed malls. In addition, dying malls are virtually impossible to rehab. The Southwest Mall in LR became the Arkansas State Police central HQs and that works quite well but usually they sit empty unless the land is valuable enough to merit demolition.

This type of "Town Center" development is the new rage. This is the Southlake Towne Center in Southlake, TX, an affluent DFW suburb north of the two cities in a central location. The goal is to make it look like a 1920s downtown and it works well. The earliest you see was built in 1999. They have virtually every store you've heard of including places like Pottery Barn, Williams-Sonoma, etc and all of the upscale Dallas chains. A new expansion is putting in a Cheesecake Factory and Hilton. They are also building 250 "brownstones". There's probably not enough money to pull off this type of project in NWA or Central AR but it does give us an idea of something worthwhile to emulate. If you've heard of Southlake, it's probably because they finished #1 in the nation and won Texas AAAAA titles the last two seasons in a row.

Maybe this isn't a mall but it dwarfs the scale of anything we would call a mall in Arkansas.

photos_independenceday.jpg

photos_fireworks.jpg

photos_parkbench.jpg

photos_starbucks.jpg

photos_yourplaceforhome.jpg

photos_holidays.jpg

3022P011.jpg

2276primarypic.jpg

2726primarypic.jpg

south1.jpg

SL_corner.jpg

It will probably be the last one built in Arkansas for at least a couple of decades in my opinion.

Probably...unless some developer out of texas decides to build one on the AR side of Texarkana due to there being more available land, forcing the old, more run-down central mall to close.

It will probably be the last one built in Arkansas for at least a couple of decades in my opinion.

I'll agree with that. It's not to say it's just because they are enclosed but there appear to be a number of them in the state not doing so great. Even in area like Rogers where things are going well overall, I'm not sure if the Dixiland Mall is doing that great. Granted it isn't much of a mall in the first place.

Probably...unless some developer out of texas decides to build one on the AR side of Texarkana due to there being more available land, forcing the old, more run-down central mall to close.

That would be the last place I would expect it. Conway or Benton Co would be my biggest bets, especially the first because it has no existing mall to renovate and I think it has the most predictable continued growth in the state. I wouldn't be surprised to see the existing malls in Texarkana, Ft Smith, NWA (NWA mall's not bad, Dixieland could be gutted and redone), or Hot Springs overhauled at some point. I just don't think we'll see a new one.

Even the Summit Mall proposal which was pushing 2 million SF was going to be outdoors.

That would be the last place I would expect it. Conway or Benton Co would be my biggest bets, especially the first because it has no existing mall to renovate and I think it has the most predictable continued growth in the state. I wouldn't be surprised to see the existing malls in Texarkana, Ft Smith, NWA (NWA mall's not bad, Dixieland could be gutted and redone), or Hot Springs overhauled at some point. I just don't think we'll see a new one.

Even the Summit Mall proposal which was pushing 2 million SF was going to be outdoors.

The NWA Mall was just remodeled around 5 years ago or so. I wish they had made a little more effort to make it look a little better than they did. But anyway even though it certainly does well I'm curious to see what effect all the new retail in Benton County will have on it. It could be years down the road but things may not be so great there. Granted even then it sounds like it would still be doing better than a lot of other malls in the state. Does anyone know if the second one in Ft Smith (Phoenix Village or something like that) is even open anymore?

The NWA Mall was just remodeled around 5 years ago or so. I wish they had made a little more effort to make it look a little better than they did. But anyway even though it certainly does well I'm curious to see what effect all the new retail in Benton County will have on it. It could be years down the road but things may not be so great there. Granted even then it sounds like it would still be doing better than a lot of other malls in the state. Does anyone know if the second one in Ft Smith (Phoenix Village or something like that) is even open anymore?

I could see a new dept store coming in in a decade or so and leading to a new addition/renovation. There's a mall in Dallas that's very old-school in the mold of McCain and NWA Mall that recently did this to add some stores and bring in Nordstrom's but it has the luxury of being in a loftier demographic with stores like Tiffany's, etc. I could see NWA Mall or McCain similarly redone at some point.

McCain is doing well but is probably due for a major overhaul. It' really quite outdated.

I have seen two older malls in LR die off. Main Street Mall downtown was just ill-fated from its inception, it was just a bad idea. Southwest Mall became the State Police HQs after being mostly vacant and in limbo for years. Now, University Mall is next. The good news about this is the land is such a hot commodity whatever replaces it will be desirable and it won't sit for long, developers are very hot to get this land.

I could see a new dept store coming in in a decade or so and leading to a new addition/renovation. There's a mall in Dallas that's very old-school in the mold of McCain and NWA Mall that recently did this to add some stores and bring in Nordstrom's but it has the luxury of being in a loftier demographic with stores like Tiffany's, etc. I could see NWA Mall or McCain similarly redone at some point.

McCain is doing well but is probably due for a major overhaul. It' really quite outdated.

I have seen two older malls in LR die off. Main Street Mall downtown was just ill-fated from its inception, it was just a bad idea. Southwest Mall became the State Police HQs after being mostly vacant and in limbo for years. Now, University Mall is next. The good news about this is the land is such a hot commodity whatever replaces it will be desirable and it won't sit for long, developers are very hot to get this land.

Oh yeah I think I went to the Southwest Mall years and years ago when I was young. Yeah I don't recall there being much there even back then. I've heard a little bit about Main Street mall but don't really know much about it. Was it enclosed?

Oh yeah I think I went to the Southwest Mall years and years ago when I was young. Yeah I don't recall there being much there even back then. I've heard a little bit about Main Street mall but don't really know much about it. Was it enclosed?

Yeah, it was. You took a picture of it somewhere, it's kind of modern in an 80s-ish way. There's a parking deck adjacent to it. It was the city's reaction in the 1980s to the outflux of retail to the west and northeast and closure of the old dept stores. It never even really took off and was converted to offices by the early 90s.

Oddly, I think it would make an excellent and unusual residential/mixed use conversion. However, it also would be a reasonable tear-down structure.

It's going to be the only enclosed mall to be opened in 2006. I believe it will do well...those people in Jonesboro have been starving for a good mall for quite some time. It's going to be very nice...they say with an indoor mall with an outdoor mainstreet look and feel. It's supposed to be the only one of its kind in the U.S. Jonesboro does have a mall, but it's very small and not very nice at all. The Pines in Pine Bluff is better than Jonesboro's Indian Mall. Indian Mall is owned by the same comp. that owns Central Mall in Fort Smith and Texarkana...but those two malls are even better than Indian Mall.

You're right Tim.

The Mall at Turtle Creek is the only enclosed Mall to open in 2006.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the existing malls in Texarkana, Ft Smith, NWA (NWA mall's not bad, Dixieland could be gutted and redone), or Hot Springs overhauled at some point. I just don't think we'll see a new one.

Dixeland is a joke that will more than likely go out of business when Pleasant Crossing and Promenade open.

I think the next mall in Arkansas will be in Conway.

I have a C-note that says it's not enclosed. You in?

I agree with Aporkalypse. Enclosed malls are a dying trend. I'm not saying they may not make a come back sometime in the future. But I do think open air malls are probably more easily maintained. I know summers aren't great here in Arkansas but I think everyone can stand being outside just a little bit to go from store to store. :D

Archived