Jonesboro Developments

arkansas_buff

You are all referring to the Southern Hills Mall project, which was pretty much a flop. The land has been cleared, and the signs are up, but they just couldn't get the tennants. Shame, because that mall was slated for 1.2 million sq ft. When Dillards backed out, it was pretty much over.

The weird thing about all this is that Indian Mall (our current turd of a mall) is planning to remain open, which I don't see how it will survive with Turtle Creek.

Chuck E Cheese's, which is being built on one of the parcels at the new mall is already in the dry! Chili's is currently prepping the ground for construction.

Target and JC Penney's are now open! The rest of the mall will open in May of '06!

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You are all referring to the Southern Hills Mall project, which was pretty much a flop. The land has been cleared, and the signs are up, but they just couldn't get the tennants. Shame, because that mall was slated for 1.2 million sq ft. When Dillards backed out, it was pretty much over.

The weird thing about all this is that Indian Mall (our current turd of a mall) is planning to remain open, which I don't see how it will survive with Turtle Creek.

Chuck E Cheese's, which is being built on one of the parcels at the new mall is already in the dry! Chili's is currently prepping the ground for construction.

Target and JC Penney's are now open! The rest of the mall will open in May of '06!

That was the one!!

Which one's recently opened?

Curious

Now that I look maybe it's not as many as I thought, but I believe Aeropostale opened not too long ago. And I noticed a Cinnabon I hadn't seen before a few weeks ago. Many of the others I think have already established themselves here for a little while. The ones I recognize at least.

Stores like Ann Taylor Loft, Hollister, and Victoria's Secret suprise me.

But I guess that market has been unsatisfied for a while and there is a demand for it.

Way to go Jonesboro!!! :D

I must admit I've been a little surprised at some of them. Jonesboro has been growing at a good pace but I'm not sure how many people are in that general area. Fayetteville is a bit bigger, but of course there's all the other population in the area. I wonder if some of this goes back to some of these companies just looking at city populations. But anyway it's still good news for Jonesboro and I think being able to attract places like this will only help establish itself more into the future.

I must admit I've been a little surprised at some of them. Jonesboro has been growing at a good pace but I'm not sure how many people are in that general area. Fayetteville is a bit bigger, but of course there's all the other population in the area. I wonder if some of this goes back to some of these companies just looking at city populations. But anyway it's still good news for Jonesboro and I think being able to attract places like this will only help establish itself more into the future.

Usually you don't see these companies go into markets that small. I guess they were looking at demographics beyond Jonesboro, and into Southwest Missouri and Northern Arkansas.

Usually you don't see these companies go into markets that small. I guess they were looking at demographics beyond Jonesboro, and into Southwest Missouri and Northern Arkansas.

I think you meant Southeast Missouri. It won't serve Northern Arkansas so much as mainly the immediate communities in Northeast Arkansas, around the bootheel of Missouri.

Jonesboro is nearing 60,000 people, and Paragould, which is just up the road, is over 22,000 and growing according to some 2002 numbers I saw.

I think you meant Southeast Missouri. It won't serve Northern Arkansas so much as mainly the immediate communities in Northeast Arkansas, around the bootheel of Missouri.

Jonesboro is nearing 60,000 people, and Paragould, which is just up the road, is over 22,000 and growing according to some 2002 numbers I saw.

Whoops.

Your right, I did mean Southeast Missouri. My mistake.

The nearest mall in Southeast Missouri I think is in Cape Giradeau.

It is a new concept store that Sears is trying out where they incorporate their merchandise along with grocery aspects and things like that.

Aren't they supposed to be building a different type of Sears somewhere in Benton County also? But it wasn't going to be the usual Sears, but would carry a lot of the electronics and appliances and such of a Sears.

I am still a little surprised to see Jonesboro doing such a good job of drawing in so many of the businesses mentioned earlier. I know Jonesboro isn't too far behind Fayetteville but I'm not sure if there's much of a metro over there. There's a lot bigger metro here in northwest Arkansas but I don't think that at the moment we are that far ahead of Jonesboro are far as some of these restaurants and retail establishments are concerned.

Aren't they supposed to be building a different type of Sears somewhere in Benton County also? But it wasn't going to be the usual Sears, but would carry a lot of the electronics and appliances and such of a Sears.

I am still a little surprised to see Jonesboro doing such a good job of drawing in so many of the businesses mentioned earlier. I know Jonesboro isn't too far behind Fayetteville but I'm not sure if there's much of a metro over there. There's a lot bigger metro here in northwest Arkansas but I don't think that at the moment we are that far ahead of Jonesboro are far as some of these restaurants and retail establishments are concerned.

They already built that store in Bentonville. It's actually one of those Sears Home Town Dealers. It's pretty much appliances, plasma tv's, electronics, and tools and such. It's pretty much a cool store, but they have these stores all across the nation.

They already built that store in Bentonville. It's actually one of those Sears Home Town Dealers. It's pretty much appliances, plasma tv's, electronics, and tools and such. It's pretty much a cool store, but they have these stores all across the nation.

Yeah that's what I'm talking about. And sorry I didn't mean to imply it was some sort of new type of Sears like the other one that was mentioned earlier. But I guess I wasn't aware that they were all that common either.

Jonesboro was recently ranked as the No. 6 city on the "entrepreneurial hot cities" list for small cities by Entrepreneur Magazine. Other Arkansas cities did well too, notably Little Rock, which came in at No. 14 on the mid-size cities list. Here's a link to the rankings.

Yeah I saw that. It really looks like Jonesboro a hot spot. As I said before, very impressive considering it's in a section of that state that's not doing too great. Northwest Arkansas was down at 28 in the small cities list.

Jonesboro was recently ranked as the No. 6 city on the "entrepreneurial hot cities" list for small cities by Entrepreneur Magazine. Other Arkansas cities did well too, notably Little Rock, which came in at No. 14 on the mid-size cities list. Here's a link to the rankings.

I saw that as well, and that cities like Little Rock, Pine Bluff, and Northwest Arkansas were all on the list.

I'm really impressed at the job Arkansas is, and has been, doing in luring industry and business to the state. Its really impressive, and other states IMO could look at what it and its communities have been doing as a model to learn from.

I'm really impressed at the job Arkansas is, and has been, doing in luring industry and business to the state. Its really impressive, and other states IMO could look at what it and its communities have been doing as a model to learn from.

I would agree and I think a lot of credit has to go to Governor Huckabee. I know he might not be popular with everyone here in Arkansas. I can't even say I like some of his policies, but I've got to hand it to him. He's taken a very agressive and active role in attracting industry to Arkansas. I think I lot of the recent successes stem from him.

I would agree and I think a lot of credit has to go to Governor Huckabee. I know he might not be popular with everyone here in Arkansas. I can't even say I like some of his policies, but I've got to hand it to him. He's taken a very agressive and active role in attracting industry to Arkansas. I think I lot of the recent successes stem from him.

Hasn't he been making a lot of trips to Asia lately?

Looks like some of them are paying off, especially with Hino Motors. Hopefully, one will pay off with someone like Toyota.

Hasn't he been making a lot of trips to Asia lately?

Looks like some of them are paying off, especially with Hino Motors. Hopefully, one will pay off with someone like Toyota.

Yeah he's been very active in Asia. I know he had made another trip not too far back and it sounds like he might make yet another sometime in the near future. I really think these trips are what have been attracting Asian companies to places like Marion. There might even be a bit of a domino effect going on. Other companies might be looking into the area because a number of Asian companies are doing so.

Archived